Advice needed for Electric conversion Vic Smeed Mamselle 38"

Advert

Hi Stewart, If you are patient you will get loads of help here. Myself, I am still learning the the tricks of choices for power trains. For a start I would use the formula of watts/llb. I would assume for the Mamselle, 80 watts per pound weight would be sufficient. More, far clever electric boffins than I may take up the thread. Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 24/02/2013 20:48:26

Hi Stewart, as fb3 says, 80W/lb would be plenty for the Mamselle - with some to spare - you'd probably find it flies well on 50-60W/lb. Models and specific motors of that size are a bit outside my normal territory, so I'll leave the answers to those who are familiar with that spec.

Meanwhile, it might be worth browsing Tim Hooper's Pix-E Major thread, which at 42" span and built lightly is not so far from the Mamselle.

Any specific questions, don't hesitatethumbs up

Pete

I think 50 - 60 watts per pound would suffice on an old timer like this, and I suggest a nice slow revving quiet low kv motor, on 3s lipo. You dont stae the AUW but guessing at around 2 - 2.5lb gives us a 150 Watt motor or so.

Something like this perahps on a 9" prop?

15 -20 A esc will be fine ( BEC equipped ) Here,.

Batteries galore, but anything around the 1800 -2500m/a range 3s should be fine

All in one type solution?

Edited By Tim Mackey on 24/02/2013 22:54:04

Crikey mo, a 2 to 2.5lb Mamselle? laugh

A completed Mamselle, built to Vics plan and equipped with lightweight radio should weigh under a pound ready to fly!

50 watts will be ample, I'd suggest a Blue Wonder 1400kv on a 2S 1000, a 10 or 12A esc and an 8x3.8 slo-fly prop. My 48" Tomboy Senior flies very well on a similar setup with a 3S, and my Poppet has a 10gm motor running just 25 watts from a BRC D1811 on a 2S 500. Both are Vic Smeed designs and fly superbly.

"That Vic Smeed knew his onions" as they say round these parts face 1

The original was designed for a 0.5 to 0.8cc diesel, with compression backed off so it was four-stroking. Overpowering this type of model isnt good, they tend to go all dutch rolley and unstable when forced to fly above their natural airspeed. Have fun!

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 24/02/2013 23:16:09

I'll third Phil comments......wink 2

We had a lot of fun putting Danny Fentons Mam'selle together although he did fit a 0.8cc PAW diesel....teeth 2

I think a 2S set up with a highish kv motor & a nice big slow turning prop will fit the bill......Tim Hoopers Pix E is a similar model as Pete observes & a read of the thread will elicit some possible set up advise......there are quite a few other Pix E threads around the forum....a quicj search will help you find them....

Posted by Phil Green on 24/02/2013 23:15:21:

Crikey mo, a 2 to 2.5lb Mamselle? laugh

A completed Mamselle, built to Vics plan and equipped with lightweight radio should weigh under a pound ready to fly!

50 watts will be ample, I'd suggest a Blue Wonder 1400kv on a 2S 1000, a 10 or 12A esc and an 8x3.8 slo-fly prop. My 48" Tomboy Senior flies very well on a similar setup with a 3S, and my Poppet has a 10gm motor running just 25 watts from a BRC D1811 on a 2S 500. Both are Vic Smeed designs and fly superbly.

"That Vic Smeed knew his onions" as they say round these parts face 1

The original was designed for a 0.5 to 0.8cc diesel, with compression backed off so it was four-stroking. Overpowering this type of model isnt good, they tend to go all dutch rolley and unstable when forced to fly above their natural airspeed. Have fun!

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 24/02/2013 23:16:09

Oh well, just proves that one can waste a lot of time trying to help people when not properly equipped with the pertinent factsfrown.

I have no interest in, or idea about these old timer things.... so had the OP perhaps mentioned its likely AUW, my pursuit of untamed geese would not have been in vain.

Gentle rant overblush

I finally got round to putting my original 35 year old free flight Mamselle (38 span ) on my wife's scales and it comes out at 10 oz's with an albon dart 0.5 ccs diesel engine up front - so with today gram weight servos and micro 2.4 Gh Rx's with 2s ( or 3s) lipos - it should be possible to get in under the 16oz weight.

while I had it out , I checked the ply brace which just shows thru the dope and tissue covering and it was 1mm ply on one side of the spars only. I cannot see between the spars but I would almost certainly have filled in between the 1/8 sq top and bottom spars with 1/8 sheet in each of the bays covered by the ply brace and then glued the brace to the lot. It has survived the usual free flight trimming and ungiuded landings so Vic had it right re wood sizes etc

enjoy your build and flying - it should be nice on calm evenings in the local park or whatever corner you can fly from to just trim and let it climb slowly , kill the power and let it glide down with the minimum of control and repeat until you run out of power

john

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stewart. I'm also building a 38" Mam'selle for electric and am rather concerned after reading this thread that the power train I've chosen will be far too powerful for it (think I massively over-estimated the weight... Just the cowl and covering to go now and even with my excessive glueing it's only 330g (11oz) including all electrics)!

If you've found a gap in this awful weather to fly yours and your setup works well I'd love to hear what it is. Haven't got the details of mine to hand at the mo but happy to share it to add to the online collective (even if it is grossly over-powered!).