The Feisler F103 - better known as the V-1

Most EDF jets have to 'cheat' and increase the size of the ducts to pass enough air to fly.

The V-1 had a very low efficiency pulse jet and hence a relatively big duct diameter compared to the rest of the airframe but the down side it had tiny wings so had to be catapult launched at great speed.

V-1 3view

Using the same Depron techniques I had used on my prop driven Bachem Natter (which had even smaller wings) the challenge would be to build a V-1 light enough to work with the lower efficiency and greater weight of a true EDF.

By placing the EDF unit right at the front of the duct its full bell mouth inlet could be retained within the scale outline but would the losses from the long exhaust duct be too severe?

EDF Argus pulse jet

The first task would be to build the pulse jet itself and measure the thrust provided.

This would then give an indication as to the feasibility of it actually flying.

With a 55mm EDF the V-1 would have a span of 40" and a maximum fuselage diam of 6", dimension not far removed from those of the Natter. That weighs 13oz so the target for the V-1 would be 17oz to take into account the heavier EDF unit and the rather more complex airframe. This would give it a wing loading of 10oz/sqft, again similar to the Natter.

The V-1 airframe is quite aerodynamically efficient but at a rough guess it would still need a minimum of 12oz thrust to stand much chance of flying.

That is about as far as the calculations can go so on with building a Depron pulse jet!smile

Advert

The first planks of the inner duct go on the drawing tube 'plug'.

firstplanks.jpg

The carboard is covered with sticky backed plastic to prevent the glue sticking.

The completed inner duct with the combustion chamber formers added.

innerduct.jpg

The front of the inner duct has a slightly larger siameter 'joggle' so the inner diameter of the duct exactly matches the inner diameter of the EDF.

That fan looks an awful long way away from the rear of the duct!

Fan down the duct

Hmmm! doesn't look right to me, Si, could be a lot of problems with turbulence down the length of the tube and air friction on the sides with resultant loss of thrust - Worth checking how much thrust you're getting before you go any further??smile

That is exactly what I intend to do.

On a 3 cell the 'bare' EDF with no duct is supposed to give 18oz thrust. If I can keep the complete V-1 to 17oz then it should fly ok with a static thrust of 12oz.

The EDF mounting and skin formers.

The EDF mounting.

The outer skin goes on.

Duct outer skin

If all else fails I could just put wings and a tail on the duct!

The pulse jet complete.

Duct complete

With so little to fix to I puzzled over the best way to test the thrust.

With a 3000mAh 3s and a 60A ESC it certainly seemed to pull quite hard.

The answer was remarkably simple. Tape steel plates to the outside until it would just 'hover' in my hands. Maybe not accurate but I was only after a rough figure to see if it was worth proceeding.

It just maintained a positive thrust when ballasted to a total of 14oz.

Test ballast

With this level of thrust as long as I can keep to my target of 17oz it should fly well enough but quiet it is not!

Made a start on the fuselage.

Again following the principles I used for my Bachem Natter although in this case it is made up of four rather than three sections.

The ring formers for the fuselage centre section.

Centre Section formers

The 2mm Depron formers are reinforced with a 6mm wide inner flange so in conjunction with the skin each formers is in effect a circular 'I' beam.

Built vertically with 3mm Depron planks.

Centre Section 1

Very wobbly to start with but 40 planks later its complete!

Centre complete

From inside it looks more like a section of a submarine hull!Centre Section Inside

But it is very strong and light.

The fuselage built continues with the two aft sections built in the same way.

Fuselage rear section

Centre and two rear sections.

3 fuselage sections

The tail plane is a simple ribless structure with 2mm Depron skins top and bottom over a hard balsa spar.

Tailplane spar

The complete tail plane with the elevators in position.

Tailplane complete

The elevators are joined by a glass fibre torque tube.

Each Depron elevator half is round nosed with a centre pivot hinge at each end giving 4 hinges in total.

pinhinge.jpg

A small triangular balsa 'shroud' is added to the tail plane top and bottom to cover the gap.

Almost perfect scale, light and very free moving.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 12/03/2013 13:40:18

The two rear fuselage sections joined.

2 Rear sections joined

The wing has wide but tapered 1mm balsa top and bottom spars with 3mm Depron webs between the ribs.

LH aileron servo

With the lower skin added the 3.7g aileron servo is glued in.

Wing skinned

The aileron will be tape top hinged with the short servo link under the wing.

The wings 'plug in' to a matching balsa/Depron/balsa box spar spanning the fuselage.

Wing spar box side

At 40" span the V-1 will be small enough to be transported complete so the wings will be glued in to give maximum stiffness and strength.

With the fin added and the duct on top it is starting to look like a V-1.3fusejoin.jpg

The nose section is built in the same way as the others.

Nose section start

The former at the join is just a dummy used for construction. It is completely removed once the planking is complete.

Nose complete

The centre section has a small 3mm sq Depron flange to locate the nose section skin accurately and to provide a bit more glue area.

joining flange

Only when the fuselage is complete can I judge where to put the battery, ESC and radio to arrive at a suitable CofG.

Excelent project and love the light weight design, I too have trawled the internet for a kit or drawings for the V1 but could not find anything so built two from scratch.

See you tube links

I say two as the first was true to form and crashed in spetacular fashion just like the real thing. The second is still flying.

Before the nose is glued on all the cables have to be secured in the fuselage.

Cable runs

They are long enough to reach right to the nose if need be.

The wings and nose are fixed on thus completing the basic airframe.

Assembled

So far so good but at this point I realised there was no way I could achieve even a 30% chord CofG without installing a much bigger and heavier battery.

The 'heavy' rear items are the EDF itself and the tail mounted elevator servo.

Obviously I can't do anything about the EDF but the 5g servo is a very long way back. A quick check of the moments suggest that nearly 60% of the weight of the intended battery in the nose was required just to counter balance it.

The obvious solution was to reposition the servo right in the nose with a pull/pull cable system.

The elevator servo extracted.

Elevator servo out

The elevator itself had to be removed to fit a double sided horn for the pull/pull cables.

The nose was always going to be cut open to instal the battery box, radio and ESC but now had to include a servo.

Nose cut open

With all the components placed in the nose it now only required a slightly larger battery (1800mAh) which would push the final weight close to an acceptable 20oz.

Try and set the ESC half way between the motor and the battery otherwise you might get timing problems, and don't forget some cooling holes to keep the battery and ESC cool.

On my Mk 1 I ended up with 100g of lead in the nose, Mk2 only needed 30g as I did as you have and moved the EDF unit as far forward as possible and stuck the battiers (2No 4s 5000mAh) in the nose.