Advert

Hi Flyboy

My 28 year old 'Radio Queen' has seen several (electric) power plants down the years.

I haven't needed to add/subtract any down or side thrust from the basic plan i/c 'engine bearer' setting as per the plan.

i.e. if you use a paxolin or ply plate fitted to the hard wood bearers that has proven fine.

Do not over control with large rudder inputs if you have kept the original dihedral. The old girl will start 'Dutch Rolling' if you do!

Mine flies a treat on 3 x 3300mAh LiPo, 13 x 6 prop and currently a 4 Max motor.

Once aloft she putters around on 1/4 to 1/2 throttle at most for at least 15 minutes.

Best of luck with yours.

CK

Hi Flyboy, lovely model to build and fly. Roll on those balmy summer evenings (remember them).I have built numerous models from plans, and found that if no down or side thrust is marked on the drawing there will be no need for either. Especially these old timers, designers knew what they were about. If built to drawing and with normal power train, chances are it will fly off the board as they say. I would not worry about it at this stage . Cheers

Hi Folks

The Radio Queen was the first RC aircraft my father built and flew. It was also the last plan he bought just before he died. I would like to build one from that plan and as he wanted to, do make it as close to his original as possible. I dimly remember him saying the original he built was powered by an american spark ignition engine. Has anyone got any idea what this might of been? or if i'm confusing engines what type of engine would he most likely of used? He would of built this model about 1956 and he loved his diesels.Wish I had listened more! Any guidance would be appreciated

Roger.

Hi Bearair,

I remember the channel crossing by the Radio Queen, it was sometime in the 1950's. I think it was flown by George Honest-Redlich, who I seem to recall was employed by E.D. as their radio expert. However, the name of colonel Taplin also rings a bell, I think he designed the model. I'm pretty sure the model was powered by an ED Hunter diesel of 3.46 cc . I remember the capacity of the engine as I later owned one . I may well be wrong on the details,I was fairly young back then !................................Mal

Edited By mal brewer on 13/03/2013 00:24:20

Roger, you might find this RCG thread interesting. As well as pointing out that the RQ was the first RC electric powered model it includes the story of the RQ channel flight & some details on the history of the model.

Mike, I remember reading the story in the Junior Express - a short-lived attempt by the Daily Express to market a newspaper for children & teenagers but it couldn't compete with NME as rock 'n roll took hold. If you look at the link above you'll see that there are photos of the model with large Junior Express decals on the side. Presumably JE was a sponsor for the channel crossing flight which may account for the fairly low key reports in Aeromodeller at the time.

Mal, the link confirms your memory plus some additional details.

AFAIK the RQ was the only aircraft kit that ED ever produced. The adverts for it also usually featured the radio gear used & the ED Mk IV 3.46 engine which was later called the "ED Hunter".

I attach a couple of pictures of a well-flown Radio Queen which used to belong to me and with which I taught lots of elderly beginners the rudiments of radio controlled flight. I sold it on over three years ago and it has had two owners since then, only because the first owner died in March 2011.

I flew it with a variety of four-stokes, an OS 40 FS suited it best. It did not need any side or down thrust and it doesn't need a great deal of power. The model which crossed the channel was indeed powered by a 3.5cc (0.19 cu.in.) ED diesel.My old model is currently fitted with some strange sort of two stroke engine, a Bluebird perhaps but on the day when it was photographed we could not get the engine to run reliably.

my old radio queen with kk fleetwing and american vintage model in the background.jpg

vintage day 2012 no 1.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 13/03/2013 11:22:46

The Junior Express---yes I remember it---my mum ordered it for my twin brother and I to read. It could not have been the 'Boys Own' magazine where I read about the channel crossing or was it?. The last full size plane that was covered by either magazine was the stainless steel Bristol 188. God what year was that?

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/03/2013 12:53:15

• 4 months later...
Posted by edwards flyboy on 13/03/2013 18:15:49:

Thanks to all, it seems leave it all as per plan,and it will be O.K.

Hi from across the pond.

I built a Radio Queen from the original ED kit back in 1956/7 . Power was a DC350.. That should take you back a bit!!

Visiting England about ten years ago I bought the Ben Buckle version out of nostalgia. Alas it is still in the box but this year I have promised myself to build it. If memory serves the Ben Buckle plan shows the CG at about 50+% of chord rather than the more normal 25-30%. This strikes me as odd, lifting tail or not! Are you flying with this aft CG location or have you moved it forward.

Really enjoyed this visit down memory lane. Saw the Channel crossing one in Lewis's in Manchester where it was on display ..I thought it was awesome at the time!

Cheers

Len....Arizona USA

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The original used 'Door Hinges' and metal straps with wood screws to hold the two halves together!

So a two-piece folding wing is authentic and in keeping with the designers** intent.

(** The designer was Peter Cock and not Col.Taplin as erroneously always quoted though the later made the model well known with his English Channel crossing and electric power installation).

I suppose that with a lifting tailplane section the cg could well be at 50%? Some of the free-flight designs with lifting tail surfaces had the cg set even further back than that. I love the Radio Queen and it takes me back to the days as an awe-struck kid in the fifties seeing examples of this plane, along with Junior 60s, APS designs such as the Rohma etc. being flown single channel in Sutton Park, as often as not using ED transmitters sitting on the ground, controlled by clicking on a remote switch.

Magic days, never to be forgotten. Although from a few years later, I've still got my Frog Jackdaw. It will fly again.

The plans are available here . Worth downloading & studying to see how the hinges are fixed for the folding wing option. Note there's advice in the plan to limit the performance & keep the AUW to 7lbs if making the folding wing option. Personaly I'd modify for two piece plug together as is common in gliders.

Capt K, I think you'll find that Taplin did in fact design the RQ but Peter Cock improved it.
I gave a link to an RCG thread back in 13/3/2013 (See above about 8 posts back) that gives a lot of the history of the RQ. It includes a photo of Peter Cock with an aileron equiped version in 2009 also this quote -

The 1949 kit plan is simply marked:
"E.D. Radio Queen by Lt. Col. H.J. Taplin"

but the ED advert in the Dec.49 Aeromodeller (attached) states:
"This aircraft, initially designed by Col. H.J. Taplin, then improved in construction by Kan-Doo products at our request..."

Thanks to all for the folding wing info - much appreciated & gives me the possibility of getting a RQ into a small car. Any thoughts on whether a PAW 35 (6cc) diesel would be an adequate power unit - on paper it puts out about the same power as an OS 40 FS and can turn a 14 x 6 prop easily. Always see warnings not to overpower these models, but wary of staggering into the air with marginal power.

I modified mine to have a 2 part wing with steel joiners having tubes in the wings.. can't remember if I used piano wire or 6 inch nails now .. works fine. . You still need a car big enough for the rest of her though
Mine is electric powered (brushed and nicad) but about to get a lipo conversion ... nice as you can turn the motor off and let her thermal... she will fly forever with a lip pack!!
Boring video of her on my YT channel .. will add here later

• 2 months later...

radio queen 025.jpgradio queen 024.jpgradio queen 023.jpgradio queen 022.jpgstevo

The scallops were done by first cutting the piece of film as normal, placing on the wing exactly where you want it,marking a ref point ,then put a mark on the film at yhe centre of each rib ,using a tea plate for a template cut out the scsllops with a new blade ,just dont get caught borrowing the tea plate.Then iron on as normal.

some photos of the build, someone might like to see them,now that i can do this radio queen 021.jpg

theres no stopping me ,now what can i put on next