Hi New Here!

Glenn Shepherd

Advert

Hi Glenn,

welcome on board. We need a bit more info really to advise you. Are you joining a club and getting instruction - or are you "going it alone"? Do you want electric power or IC? Do you want to build a model or buy ARTF? Approximately what's your budget? Etc.

If you could let us know a few things like that they we'd be better able to advise.

BEB

Ah sorry thought I had included the info. At the minute I am going it alone. However I have a local club I am going to have a browse at. I definetly want EP. I've been looking at the st blaze ep. I have a dx6i tx and ar6210 reciever. I am very handy on the sim with trainers and sports doing simple prop hanging well. My budget is prob max £150 for the aircraft alone.obviously I know that extra batteries will cost extra on top of that budget. Thanks.

Hi Glenn,

well I've never flown the Blaze - perhaps those who have can comment more authoritively - but it doesn't look a great model for starting out with to me. Why?

Well its an aerobatic powered glider - while there is nothing majorly wrong with the glider bit, at the risk of getting myself in trouble with the glider boys, I personally don't think a glider is the best start. They fly differently and are often move troublsome to turn neatly than a conventional powered model - those long wings pack a lot of inertia! But as I say a lot people have started perfectly sucessfully on gliders so I wouldn't rule it out on that aspect alone.

The aerobatic bit however is more of a problem. If it lives up to its billing - and as I say I haven't flown it so I don't know for sure - the likelihood is it has very little in the way of natural stability - this thing will not "meet you half way" as a new pilot! Its going to be fast and very powerful for its weight.

You may think "well I'm up with it on the sim I'll be all right". Yes the simulator will definatley help you and these days they are very good. But its not the same with a plane in the air - believe me we are all ace pilots on the simulator - at the field its a different ball game!

Let's see what alternatives we can come up with.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/03/2013 09:00:11

Hi Glenn,

It is possible to learn to fly alone, but it is very difficult, and you will certainly break things. Probably lots of things. If you do go this route, you must get insurance from the BMFA or the Scottish equivalent. My recommendation for this would be to find a big, slow flying, powered glider, that is inherently stable.

Of course a sim is a great help, but things can get well out of hand very quickly with the real thing, so don't be too ambitious

BUT, it is much easier to join a club. You will have loads of help, maybe even a club trainer for you try out. They will organise insurance, but most of all, you will find a great bunch of lads

ernie

I have a Multiplex Blizzard Glenn, which I'm sure the Blaze is a clone copy and people on this forum have compared their similarities in looks and flight characteristics.

From my experience of flying the Blizzard I would say that the Blaze does not fall under the category of 'trainer' and will easily bite you if you don't keep the air speed up. Also this plane has a very slim design and combined with its powerful motor can quickly disorientate you or be out of sight.

I don't want to trample on your dream but I wouldn't personally recommend the Blaze as a first airframe. That said, however, a guy just joined our club and learnt himself to fly on a foamie P-51 Mustang (also, not a trainer), what can I say, he's a natural!

Edited By Allan Bowker on 13/03/2013 09:30:44

Hi Glen

Having flown the ST Blaze I would not advise it for a begineer. You want to be looking for something that flies slower and has some built in stability. If you are determined to go down the "go it alone" it is difficult and you will break models doing it, however it is also very rewarding. Something like a Multiplex Easy Star or copy there of, would be a good model for trying on your own. If you intend to join a club then it might be best to talk to the people at the club and see what they recommend, they might have a club trainer so you find out how hard/easy it is for you. Ive known people who can fly straight from the sim, but they are very few, but who knows you might well be one of them.

With regards insurance it is not mandatory so theres no must about it. However most people would consider it very stupid not to have insurance. There are other insurances available outside the BMFA but they are quite difficult to find and if you did decide later to join a club then chances are they would not accept your insurance and you would have to get BMFA insuranceto join.

Which ever route you decide to go have fun and be safe.

Roger

The e-Flite Apprentice 15e is a good choice (a traditional trainer type) and the WOT4 is also a superb plane, although not as forgiving as the apprentice, as it is a more capable aerobatic plane.

You might want to consider these too, they make a cost effective starter aircraft:

Hobbyking Bixler 2 - although currently on back order

or

AXN Clouds Fly - My father-in-law trained himself in a field with this one over a long weekend.

hey Glen. Welcome to the mad house. I started maybe 3 years ago. Taught myself and crashed everything I put in the air. The SIM helped a lot but you just don't get the same sensation when you are out in the field. It's a sort of nervous feeling with the itching feeling that IF you crash you will have to fix it or worse buy a knew one.

Everyone else here has said the same thing I'm just adding another story is all. My son is 12 and can (land) models on the simulator so I built him a slow flying depron model and we went down to the field. I put it in the air with low rates and then when he was ready handed him the controls. he brought it down and did 2 circuits then nosed into the ground. this took maybe about 30 seconds. He doesn't fly anymore.

I taught myself. A high wing trainer sure is the bee knees in the beggining. Hell I still get it out as a camera platform due to it's stability.

In the end have fun and let us know how you get on.

Edited By Shane Sunday on 13/03/2013 10:12:18

Yeah I get the same comments it seems and that's great, I'm open to all comments. I think maybe a wot4 will be good. As its apparently stable and listed as a trainer and as it is slightly more sporty I think I will be able to learn alot more. Hope to go to local club at gravesend Kent this Sunday. So maybe get to fly something on a buddy system to get a feel, then I will know what level to start. I'll let u know how I get on. Cheers all.

Hi Glenn, I think that a wot4 is a bit too difficult to fly as a first model. You might make it work, but it does not have a lot of inherent stability, and can be a bit of a handful. I had one as a third model, and still managed to break it......Number one advice to you is to is to find someone to let you have a lesson, so that you realise the difficulties

ernie

I don't know Glenn, Do you want to build it? or should it be ready to fly?

I'm no expert on foamies and electric; but I'm sure someone will advise on that. Its the traditional approach for me.. A super sixty with a wee OS four stroke up front

ernie

Hi Glenn, welcome aboard. Everytime this question comes up I tend to give the same answer. The best trainer i have had is the Seagull E-Pioneer. It's a good 40 size trainer, (61" Span), so easy to see, It has a reasonable weight so will fly in a wind, It's a cheap aairframe, (under £80.00), it all bolts together so not even any glue rquired. and it only requires a relaltively cheap power train and 5 mini servos. It can be flight ready in very little time.

I would also endorse what has already been said about joining a club and getting instruction to start with. The Sim can definately speed things up but you can't beat initial tuition. After all it's free.

Alwyn

Hi Glenn,

Lots of good advice above and as someone who has been flying (and crashing) for the last 40+ years I will reinforce the recommendation to join a club. For most of my time I have been a lone flyer and then joined a local club 2 years ago and have never looked back.

Although I (evenutally) taught myself to fly I found that after the inevitable crashes I would have long periods where I would lose confidence and enthusiasm and so leave the hobby for months at a time - so that when I next went out I would have to learn all over again.

Being with a club not only gives you the benefits of making lots of like minded friends and being able to learn from their experiences, but it also means when you do crash you have more chance of learning why and you will be encouraged to get out the superglue and get flying again.

As to models I still have a lot of fun with a Seagull Innovator - stable but capable of getting thrown around when you want.

If you get RCM&E regularly then you will know there is a series running at the moment called 'Flying Start' - I recommend reading that as there is a lot of good advice, and it uses the Seagull e-Pioneer which is very similar to the Innovator.

Hi Glenn,

If you want a real slow flyer that's easy to handle on your own if you prefer going that route I can recommend the GWS Slow Stick. It take no time at all to put together as there's nothing to it and its very cheap. It's big enough that you can get used to the model orientation flying at a safe height and light enough that if you do overshoot a landing, it doesn't sustain any serious damage.

Only suitable for light /no winds and is 3 channel but you can purchase an aileron wing for it as your skills progress. Just my own experience and there is a wealth of knowledge on the forum as everyone has gone through the process.

Just my tupence worth!

Cheers

Fraser

I agree with Fraser, for a rudder/elevator fair weather only starter model, you will be able to fly on your own, the Slow Stick is great fun. Both the Blaze and the Blizzard are very fast for a beginner, though with reduced rates and expo(you`ll soon know what I`m talking about) they are actually quite stable if you hold back a bit on the throttle. There`s a lot of good advice in this thread, and if you can possibly visit your local club before you spend any more money, make sure you speak to an instructor, not the first person who wants to impress you.

Also, watch what the good pilots do- they`re the ones who have fun but fly & land safely- and copy them.

Enjoy yourself, it`s a great hobby- I`ve had nearly 60 years of it and I`ve still got a lot to learn

Cheers sandy. Yeah, I'm going to take a steady approach and not do anything silly in the air other than circuits to start. I know a little about rates and expo as I fly helicopter too (newbie tho). I do like the blaze lol. But like I said I'll try to get a flight at a club first. Cheers all.

Hi Glenn, yes it can be a problem. The importers tend to bring them in by the batch load and at this time of year a lot of folks start thinking about learning to fly and there is a big pull on the stock - result they become hard to find until the next container load comes in.

Have you tried here?

One thing I would advise - ring to check before you order. A lot of the smaller dealers don't keep availability up to date on their website - so something can look as if its in stock and not actually be there! If you have already paid it can be a bit of a pain!

BEB

Cheers thanks. Couldn't find those sites on my own. Question is how much should I expect to pay for each battery? I take it a 3s 2200mah 30C is correct to use?

ST Models Discovery EP ARTFre"> ST Models Discovery EP ARTFre"> £109.99re">

ST Models Discovery EP ARTF- PKG1re"> ST Models Discovery EP ARTF +
2x 30C 3S 2,200mAh LiPore"> £149.97re">

Now in the other site it is £99 for just the ARTF plane. Is £20 a battery cheap? Or should I get my own. I do want more batteries so what brands do people use? Thanks all