GS covering

fly boy3

Advert

Tis fantastic stuff [If its the same as the stuff I had about two years ago] I found that it took a lot more abuse than Solarfilm from the heatgun and you could see the colour change very slightly if you were geting it too hot.

The only thing to watch would be that the edge of the white adhesive backing can be visible as a fine white line on overlaps. I have heard said that you can use a solvent to remove the white line, but white spirit didn't really help. I would try acetone, but check it on a scrap of covering first!

Sounds like it is the same covering HK sells can take plenty of heat espc. when stretching round wingtips, cowls etc. The white line is the adhesive left when it shrinks back from an edge. You can remove it with a little thinners on a cloth. Doubt it is fuel proof, but have painted it with Humbrol enamel after a light sanding.

I used GS Blue and orange film to cover my Yorkshireman and was Happy with the result. However when, after about six months, I built new wing I found the orange (from the same roll as original) reluctant to stick and had to coat the wood with balsaloc to get satisfactory results.. Could it be a fault in the adhesive ? Worth watching for.

Posted by Mowerman on 16/03/2013 09:50:54:

I used GS Blue and orange film to cover my Yorkshireman and was Happy with the result. However when, after about six months, I built new wing I found the orange (from the same roll as original) reluctant to stick and had to coat the wood with balsaloc to get satisfactory results.. Could it be a fault in the adhesive ? Worth watching for.

I've had the same thing with Solrfilm products, both tex and film.

I've used the solid and translucent covering fron GC, if its the same stuff its great, strong, strinks around curves and fuel proof. Also, the length of the roll is 5 meters so you get a lot for your money.

Only problem is, you end up with so much covering that you are forever building models to use it up!

Posted by fly boy3 on 16/03/2013 16:49:34:

Hi Kevin, great covering job, hope I can do half as good a job. Any details of the model. Cheers.

It is a Chorus Gull.

RCME plan by Brian Peckham Feb 02. I did buy the full size plan from a well known auction site to suplement the build though.

Various build pictures can be found HERE.

There is also a small build thread on another forum HERE.

Kev