Rugby

Phil May

Advert

Yes,talking of tongue in cheek,i do know what Ruby is. I used to play for the school team, more out of the wishes of a rather cynical and tyrannical Welsh P E teacher (no offence meant to the Welsh nation by the way) than out a choice. I do remember him in one of his awful training sessions, have pushed some poor lad of the ball,he then ran for the try line shouting come on tackle me! so six of us did!

He didn't shout that again! happy days........

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 18/03/2013 15:18:59:

He said the ref affected the England team's game as 5 penalties were given against them for issues they were not penalised for in previous games.

How many penalties were the English awarded?

How many did they kick successfully?

Yes and that hit the post!

Twin brother Pete still reckons the referee by virtue of his judgement on the 5 penalties changed the 'tone of the game' and undermined the England team.

See Ben Kay's 'Scrum Analysis' in yesterday's Daily Mail page 79, and note that England are good losers!!!

Hopefully old school colleague Roy will have better luck with the soccer team?

MJE

David,

As a non rugby playing person but former sportsman of average capability I just needed some answers as to why we got thrashed when it was expected we could win. There is no doubt that Wales played well and England screwed up especially with the first Wales try. So far the only explanation I have been given is the refereeing issue but nothing else, but I have to agree you cannot attach the blame for playing badly in most sports on the referee and especially with the huge score margin as we had in the rugby game.

However it's nice to know you Boyos are feeling good about the game and the feeling should last some while.

Best Wishes,

Mike

Basically..

England have an inexperienced side. 10 of the players had never even played in the millenium stadium against Wales before, so the event may have overwhelmed some of them so they made mistakes.

Could argue that some of the choices for the England team were not right.

But most of all, Wales played much much better and were faster, stronger and just a bit better all round. We played well, but Wales were outstanding so they deserved to win.

CS

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 19/03/2013 20:40:11:

I just needed some answers as to why we got thrashed when it was expected we could win

The answer is you got well and truely outplayed on the day,

You also had penalties awarded in your favour but missed all but 1, which only by a stroke of luck went in off the post. Your game against Italy the week previously wasnt your best game either, Where as we beat them a rather convincingly 26 - 9 too

One of the first things you learn in Rugby is to play to the refs requirements. Each ref runs the game in a slightly different way, giving his own interpretation of the rules (within very narrow margins). Teams usually learn within the first 10 minutes how to play so they don't fall foul of the ref. Unfortunatly, England didn't. Please don't blame the ref for Englands loss. Simply put, Wales outplayed them and deserved to win.

I played rugby until i was in my late 40's and believe me the Welsh beat England with passion and heart, you could see that in every bone crunching tackle they made. I am 100% English but I was so proud of my Welsh brothers for playing the game I love the way it should be played, well done the Welsh. Just don't make a habit of beating us though LOL

Maddog, thank you.

I played rugby to my late teens at county level, but the doctor TOLD me to stop after nearly destroying my knees (got the touch though).

I played for my school in Wales, along with my county junior team and my regimental team. Always the team which won was the one with the guts to keep making the tackles and throw themselves into the match with every fibre. One reason I don't watch as much rugby as I used to is that the passion seems to be fading a little - and I regret not having had the oppertunity to play at that level....

I will have to direct my twin brother on to this website to read the last few comments which make interesting reading. He had a short rugby career and had to retire early through a hiatus hernia problem which made him feel sick after every match. An operation at the Frenchay hospital in Bristol which left him with an 18 inch scar made no difference but meant he lost his scrum half position in the Bristol team. However in 1970 he was chosen as a reserve for the South West of England in a match against the Springbox. He did not make it on the pitch which he was not too unhappy about as someone had scattered tacks on the ground as an Apartheid demonstration. It was also freezing cold I understand. Later he played for Gloucester in a match against Holland.

It just shows that but for an uneven sharing of genes it could have been me and I had to be content with playing soccer rather badly always wearing glasses. But I was informed whilst I was in the sixth form at school by Roy Hodgson that I had been selected for the school's second team. He of course played for the firsts along with three others who became well known football managers.

MJE