Hangar 9 Piper Pawnee

lakey

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum but have been flying on and off for a little while now. Here are some pictures of my new Hangar 9 Pawnee. Hope you like them (and my patented airplane transport system!) The kit quality was brilliant, a real joy to assemble.

Lakey

piper pawnee 088.jpg

piper pawnee 086.jpg

piper pawnee 089.jpg

piper pawnee 092.jpg

piper pawnee 094.jpg

piper pawnee 095.jpg

piper pawnee 012.jpg

Advert

Hi lakey, thanks for the pics. Looks nice. I always liked the Fletcher FU 24 Top Dresser as well.

They are amazing planes to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loy2n8s_l00

This one is a turbine powered Fletcher. Notice the angle of the elvator when he is touching down. Just about full up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lO3nAB5Zz8

Edited By Panther on 21/03/2013 10:29:28

A candidate for the world's ugliest aeroplane? Effective though - did you see the sudden sag as the top dressing was uploaded? It can certainly lift a good load!

A nice illustration of uphill downwind landings though - takes me back to a glider outlanding memory or two...

Edit: I see you just posted a second video of the turbine version - the front end is a bit tidier but it's still no looker!

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/03/2013 10:37:54

LOL No, but when you watch what they are capable of, you can't help but admire them. I saw a lot of these when I lived in New Zealand.

There is a small model available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvtKm3XoBjY

Edited By Panther on 21/03/2013 10:55:17

Hi Lakey

It was good to see you maiden the Pawnee the other week albeit with the engine running rich and rough on tick over. Did you manage to sort your low end needle out and did the video I took make it to you tube?

Regards Martin

PS Looks like you made it out at the week end in our brilliant weather from your pictures

Edited By martin stokes on 21/03/2013 20:43:58

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

I thought that everyone would take the mick out of the golf trolley but it works really well. Makes it easy to bolt the wings on. The fact that I can wheel it around is an added bonus! Johnny, our club is Ilminster Model Flying Club based at RNAS Merryfield in Somerset. It's a great club and everyone (without exception) is v friendly and helpful. Yo Martin! Went and bought some better fuel and adjusted the low run needle as Patrick suggested. It now runs well with the on board glow switched off but still sounds like it runs slow. Maybe it'll loosen up with more run time. Plan on going down on Sunday if it's not monsoon season.

Cheers

Yes I will second that we have a very friendly club with lots of people willing to help. Just had I laugh to myself when i had another look at your first picture and realised it was me preflight checking my wot 4. Do I really look like that! Hopefully will be down at the week end to get some flights in.

Edited By martin stokes on 21/03/2013 21:21:38

Hi Mike,

I didn't realise there was an issue with the C of G, I just did what the manual told me.Seems to balance OK. Decided to cram a SC 91 in there. I'm not that experienced with four strokes but was still surprised at how slow it sounds at full throttle. Will get someone to hold a tacho up to it when I get the chance. Glad you like yours. I'm really pleased with my one.

It fits ok at the current CofG then leave it where it is.

With a ASP 70 up front I needed a fair bit of lead in the tail.

Your not wrong about the sound of four stroke. When I came over from using a 2 stroke I thought the same. As most of the torque comes from the lower ranges it seems like they do not run as fast. More so if you are using a prop at the max size for the engine.

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 22/03/2013 12:41:45

• 9 months later...

I've received a crashed Hanger 9 Pawnee, the top hatch is missing and oneof the struts, I can make both but if someone had these as result of a right off it would save me making them. The canopy is also missing but I can purchase one of these. The other pieces are too expensive and will make if I can't get them from some kind soul on the forum!!!

• 2 weeks later...