60-size trainer

john melia 1

The Big Wig was designed by LS Wigdor, a famous pre-war aeromodeller. He taught himself how to fly multi-channel r/c with the model which was powered by a Merco 61. A late friend of mine told me that he'd built two of them but they'd long gone by the time I knew him.

I have the plan somewhere in my stash. Maybe someday...

It is available as a plan from My Hobby Store, code RM50.

I normally recommend a WOT 4 as a second model once a beginner can fly a four channel trainer but the Wild Card, being essentially a fun-fly model should be fine.

It's got plenty of wing area and is very light. You would only need the power of your 46 for vertical manoevres. Throttled back and with limited control throws the model will be a peach to fly.

Yes you could throttle it back John, but I think you'd be much better off
fitting your SC46 & keeping the 61 for something else - but that's just
my opinion.
As I said before, my 6.5lb, 72" trainer flies very well on a .47, so the
5 1/2 lb Sedona will be comfortably powered on a 46.

You could use the .61 in a kit built Wot4 as a next step - it would be ballistic
on a .61! (& weigh around 5 1/2 lb or so).

Edited By Richard Wood on 02/04/2013 09:28:11

Can anyone spot the blatant mistake here , not that it matters because the pushrods weren't even in the kit

i phoned the guy up , and he said maybe they've changed the design , and i said maybe they have , but the parts are not with the kit !!

Don't suppose i'll hear anything back , so i'm off to get the bits tomorrow

Personally I think larger is better. My old 46 Fx OS is probably matched by the SC 46 and I used Graupner grey props, 12x5, 12.5x6 and she handled them all. Very quiet and, with the 12x5 unlimited vertical in a wot 4.

Apart from less noise there are other benefits, greater flywheel effect, gives more reliable tickover and the graupner props are sturdy.

Forget 11x6 the makers give these sizes for guidance and for me big props have stood the test of time.

ok everyone, the sedona is reaching completion , should i make the nose wheel steerable , or just set it straight ? I'm thinking that if its steerable then it would still be steering whilst up in the air with rudder input , would the movement not have a diverse effect on the stability of the model ?

I know when i built a super 60 years ago the nose wheel wasn't steerable .