60-size trainer

john melia 1

You'll be missing out if you don't get the TT cessna, it isn't a pattern ship as Percy says but it is stable if you get the c of g right. I've flown the three or four I've had with a variety of engines, started with a laser 80 had to stop when the exhaust started melting the firewall, then a TT 61 GP, Irvine 61 with mini pipe which was excellent then an OS 91 FX which was excellent too, swapped that for an OS 91 Surpass which was good too and finally with a saito 82 4 stroke which has now been fitted to them all. The larger engines sometimes cause probs with prop clearance which is why I've settled on the saito. Just so you know the weights of these engines vary by up to 200 grammes yet I've NEVER used ballast to get the cg right.

I also let a returnee try mine as his first flight in 20 years and he took to it like a duck to water, OK so it's like a big airfix but it flys well and at Inwoods prices represents great value for money, I gave £116 for my first one back in 2004.

Within the last couple of years rcme have done a second review on it and it was a good write up, also David(?) ashby had one and he seemed to think it was OK. It may be worth trying to check those reviews out.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 27/03/2013 16:15:37

i phoned steve webb , and he said they are not being made anymore , not sure why he has listed them on his site , Braddock i think i'll bite the bullet and get the cessna , otherwise i'm gonna be going round and round chasing my tail forever .

.................................. unless of course ................................................................... enlightened

Get someone to check and trim it out and make sure you've a reliable idle and you won't go wrong.

I've landed mine in really savage crosswinds at the Hastings site and I'm sure it's helped me progress, it's the model I turn to in windy weather.

BTW be sure to fix the decals to the wing and tailplane leading edges, they add strength there over the seams.

If it were up to me, of the ARTF choices which remain, I would go for either the World Models Super Frontier Senior which Steve Webb is quoting on his website or the Sedona.

Reason? Both are very light and will fly very slowly which is what you need with a trainer. At over 80" in the wingspan the Super Frontier Senior should be ok with a 61 even though a 46 is the maximum sized engine quoted.

Having said everything I have said, wouldn't it be cheaper for you to buy a 40 sized trainer like a Tutor 40 and a Thunder Tiger GP 42 and reserve the Irvine for a later model?

An Acrowot would be nice with that combination.

These are the stats for the WMSFS:

Wing Span : 80.5 Ins / 2040 mm .
Wing Area : 1232 sq in / 79.5 sq dm.
Flying Weight : 7 lb / 3300 g.
Fuselage Lenght 64.5 Ins / 1640 mm.
Engine required 2 C 0.40 / 0.46 or similar fourstroke.

Its quite light but a 40 to haul it around???

Must admit though, am quite tempted myself.wink 2

ok well my wildcard 3d has a .46 in it , but i was trying to keep it good for when i get round to flying it , thus was reluctant to take it out , plus i was just thinking bigger is better , hence the .60 , but having looked around there is some bigger models that would accomodate the 46 , i was looking at a piper cub ?

maybe i could do sort of a swap , ie , take the 46 out of the wildcard , then at a later date when i'm capable of flying the wildcard , instead of putting the 46 back in , i could put the .60 in ?

Why not buy a 40 sized trainer like a Boomerang or Irvine Tutor, take the engine out of the Wild Card, put it into the trainer and learn to fly on the trainer until you reach A certificate standard? Then take the engine out of the trainer and put it into the Wild Card and sell the trainer.

Meanwhile buy an Acrowot ARTB kit from Chris Foss and build it over the next 3-4 months. Fit the Irvine in that and enjoy a classic British sports model..

Other options:

1. As above but buy a 40-46 two stroke from eBay and put it into the trainer.
  2. As above but buy a complete second hand trainer with engine off eBay. Don't buy a HiBoy! wink

Sorted.

Edited By David Davis on 28/03/2013 06:46:32

yeah yeah guys , pictures will definately be forthcoming , once i get sorted with what i'm going to do dont know

i like the size of the black horse sedona 70 inch span , even i should be able to see that !! but it lies in the realms of a .46 being the smallest engine for it , to a .55 being the largest , now as stated i have the .46 , and the .60 and going from my earlier experiences with engine sizes , the flair puppeteer being one , i like to err on the top size , for example when i bought the puppeteer kit (26 years ago) it stated suitable engine size 35 , which i had in a super 60 at that time.

i took the 35 out of the super 60 and put it in the puppeteer , then took it over to my local flying club which at that time was boldon model club , whereby the experienced guy over there took it off, and immediately stated it was grossly underpowered , due to the amount of lead required for the CofG

so i'm thinking maybe the .46 will be underpowered for the sedona , and the .60 overepowered for it , as stated in an earlier post , i rang the guy up to inquire wether the sedona would take the .60 and he said yes but throttle it back , now is this just sales hype to get my money , or would the .60 suffice , or indeed would the .46 have enough power for it ?

i still like the thunder tiger cessna , mainly because it looks more like an aircraft than the sedona does , theres some reviews of the thunder tiger here ,**LINK**

actually the reviews are on this forum , my word i still seem a million miles away from decidin g on anything maybe a few of these tonight eh beer

The only thing is - doesn't the OS55 have a '40-46' size case & mounting
hole spacing?
A .60 is quite a bit bigger then a .40-.46 & the engine mount & it's mounting holes
in the Sedona may well have to be changed to get a 60 in it.
The Sedona actually looks a lot like the 72" Super Mascot which flies very well
indeed on a .47 so your .46 in a Sedona could be a very good way to go!

there are two aircraft very similar and they are called the plastic pigs for a reason (as far as trainers are concerned, i have flown them both) and that is the TT 177 cardinal and the ARC ready **LINK**

too heavy too fast and lack good aileron control at low speeds

they are both poor basic trainers in my opinion, go with the multitude of other suggestions on here they are all far better bets.

established fliers may like her but try teaching a shaking newbie with one, it just makes things happen all too quickly and when repairs are required... and they will be........ they are virtually impossible to effect properly, i am staggered these respected fliers dont consider this, mybe they are only considering themselves! 

not all aircraft suit everyone but you can not really go wrong with most of the suggestions on here 

Kyosho calmato

seagull boomerang 

irvine tutor 

uno wot

seagull pioneer 

to mention a few 

Edited By Lee Smalley on 28/03/2013 14:01:10