60-size trainer

john melia 1

hi everyone , i'm just wondering where i could get a .60 size trainer here in the uk , they seem to be very hard to find , there seems to be an abundance of them in america , but very few here in the uk .

i only mention this because i've been out of the hobby long long time , i'm busy restoring a 25 year old flair puppeteer , but i'm thinking this isn't really the best model to kick off my flying with , i also have a wildcard 3d , but the same applies.

i'm thinking the bigger the trainer the better , for handling and orientation

On the ARTF front, Steve Webb is offering the Thunder Tiger II 60 sized trainer at £102 and the World Models Super Frontier at £162. I have flown the Super Frontier, albeit with a 46 it is very light and it flies well. I haven't tried the Thunder Tiger 60 trainer but the 40 size version flies very well.

Please also see my reply to your post on the Puppetteer thread.

Edited By David Davis on 26/03/2013 12:00:39

The only one I can think of is the sig astrohog, OK it's a low winger but it's a lovely stable plane built like a brick outhouse and sussex model centre have them for £107.

60 would be top of the spec unless it'a a 4 stroke. If you're in a club you can get someone to do the maiden, as you are returning to the hobby, you'll soon pick it up again.

Incidentally the puppeteer is a good trainer except, maybe, for the ground handling.

Another really great trainer is the flair magnatilla, but you'd need a 40 size plain bearing two stroke as they don't need too much power to fly well.

If you want an artf I've got nothing but praise for the Thunder Tiger T 60 if you can get a hold of one, not so sturdy as the above mentioned ones but good enough.

Finally there's the thunder tigre cardinal 177, I love this to bits and have two waiting to be built when the one that is flying bites the dust. It has a quite high landing speed but handles wind well and although an artf is a very solid plane, just buy a couple of spare U/C legs as they are nylon and prone to snapping. They are running them out right now and they can be picked up for around £80 from hobby stores (the ripmax shop).

HTH.

Hi John,
If you're happy to build from a plan there's the Big Wig - plan no. RM50
from Myhobbystore.
There's also the DB Skyrider which is available from DB Sport & Scale
as a plan pack. This is more of an advanced trainer - especially with a .60
but it if you've flown before it may well suit. yes

**LINK**

Another one is the Slec T240 - it's a massive 90" + span but according
to the spec on Sussex Model Centre, will fly on a .60!

Edited By Richard Wood on 26/03/2013 12:42:13

Hi,

I wonder if there is a slightly smaller version of the precedent t240 (usually 90 size I think) - I learnt too fly on one of theses, nice and predictable and easy to see. - I think Slec produce a T240 90 size kit.

I have flown the 40 size Thunder Tiger Trainer a lot and thats a great little model too.

Happy landings and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Phill

Phil, there used to be a SLEC T180 which had a 1.8 metre or 6 foot wingspan.

DB Models may no longer produce the Super Mascot but they offer plan packs of the Barnstormer in 72" and 88" versions, the Centurion which is a huge model at 102" and the slightly smaller Expo Eighty.

..and yes Lee, the Senior Telemaster will fly perfectly well on a 60 two stroke.

Posted by john melia 1 on 26/03/2013 17:34:29:

i may go for this guys to get me

Thunder Tiger Cessna 177 Cardinal

up and away so to speak

Inwood models are selling them £74.99, they do spares too. I have also bought spares real cheap from a norwegian hobby shop that sent the stuff post free, they seem to be quite popular over there.

One big bit of advice, the wings are abs with foam inside, the tailplane and fin and rudder are abs too. The hinges used to be formed when the parts were blow molded but my latest kit it looks like the hinges are mylar. {it's translucent} if the hinges are abs then when it's cold they become brittle. Perhaps that's why they keep a full set of spares in that norwegian hobby shop as mine fractured after two or three years, easy to repair though.