Panther autogyro head kit

Richard Harris

What is one of the main components that is likely to deter Mr Average modeller from turning to the dark side of autorotational flight?

Well I believe that there are two, but at the top of my list is the rotor spindle assembly. Yes there are gearboxes out there that make life so much easier but wouldnt it be even better if we could get hold of a bespoke kit.

Those boys at RCME have kindly sent me the prototype kit to build and abuse! I will fully test this on one of my models before any decision is made but I thought it would be a good idea to keep builders or potential builders in the loop as to what is going on.

At the present moment I have just unbagged and lay out all of the components and I have to say I am very impressedthumbs up. This first thing you will notice is the use of bronze bearings, this is untested but should make for a very strong unit.

Of course, there is no reason why this cannot be used for any other model.

So as a bit of a taster here is a snap of what is in the bag.

img_2162.jpg

Rich

Advert

Good stuff Rich, it'll be good to see what you think.

This is the head kit that I've been working on for our plans service people. It's made in accordance with Rich's PDF plans and, all being well, will be available soon.

I should just point out that the head plate comes with the Panther parts set that we're also working on, not with the head kit above.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 04/04/2013 11:23:05

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 04/04/2013 11:23:23

OK potential spindle builders, I have managed to do a little more.

There are three 6mm birch ply discs for the base, the bottom one has a slot in it for the shafts sellock pin to locate into.

img_2171.jpg

The spindle shaft as per the PDF is made from 6mm silver steel, on mine the sellock roll pin was pre installed.

img_2173.jpg

Using epoxy the 3 discs are laminated together and clamped utilising the mounting bolts and captive nuts supplied, the shaft can be glued in at this stage also as it helps alignment of the discs. I gave my bolts a light coat of vaseline to stop them being bonded to the epoxy whislt it goes off.

img_2174.jpg

img_2175.jpg

Captive nuts as you can see were turned around to use as spread washers.

Once the epoxy was cured the bolts were removed, I then clamped the shaft in the jaws of a pedistal drill and sanded them smooth with sand paper.

img_2179.jpg

The finish is pretty good but I decided to give it 5 coats of EZE-KOTE (sanding sealer/varnish/primer will do fine).

img_2181.jpg

When I get chance I will just go over this lightly with some fine sand paper then add a splash of paint.

Rich

Hoping not to pre-empt Rich's posts, I thought I'd just pop some piccies of the photos I took for the plans service people this morning - the head set parts and a complete example.

panther-headset.jpg

pantherhead2.jpg

pantherhead3.jpg

pantherhead4.jpg

Hope that helps folks visualise construction and look forward to Richard's thoughts going forward. The blade plate is included with the new set of laser/cnc parts for the model that has also just become available.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 09/04/2013 13:50:13

Okay folks at RCM&E - I bought a copy of the March issue near my present home town of Chicago, Illinois (the US, save any headscratching) and am intruiged by Rich's Panther autogyro plan. Not exactly a first - though my last autogyro was built around 1982 when I was in the RAF and based at Kinloss in the north-east of Scotland. The DB Kits twin rotor 'gyro for anyone old enough to remember...

So, I have the Panther plan, should be able to build it, probably fly it too when I can get hold of what Rich told me is due in the April issue about setting up the rotor head control throws and suchlike.

Big snag - the rotor head. Got almost excited at the mention of a 'head kit' - but why doesn't it include the triangular rotor mount plate (or whatever it's called in Gyrospeak!) ? It's the one part of the model that's going to be painful, at least, to figure out what to make it from and where to get the material from 'Over Here'.

So - how's about moving that elusive triangular plate from the main wooden parts kit to the head kit, so the head kit can be fully finished off?

Oh yes - how's about overseas shipping costs? Or is that the province of those folk in the basement?

Dereck

Hi Dereck

Fair point but, thing is, many builders won't/don't want the head kit because (as you'll see from other threads on the forum) they've either made their own rotor spindle or they've bought a gearbox. However, they would still require the head plate if building using the CNC kit.

It's' folks in the basement' as you say but I'll suggest they have a look at offering the head kit with and without the plate, I'm sure that shouldn't be a problem. Overseas shipping is their domain, you could always email our retail head Cheryl if you'd like to speak direct - [email protected]

Posted by Dereck Woodward 1 on 12/04/2013 22:37:22:

Okay folks at RCM&E - I bought a copy of the March issue near my present home town of Chicago, Illinois .....

Big snag - the rotor head. Got almost excited at the mention of a 'head kit' - but why doesn't it include the triangular rotor mount plate (or whatever it's called in Gyrospeak!) ? It's the one part of the model that's going to be painful, at least, to figure out what to make it from and where to get the material from 'Over Here'.

Hi Dereck, we answered a similar question in this thread - hope it helpsthumbs up

Pete

Well, there has been this funny /bright yellow thing in the sky this afternoon so I have taken advantage as I know it will not last long!

3 coats of paint have been applied to the spindle mount base and 2 bearing mount plates. Once dried the spindle has had a light rubbing with some fine wet and dry.

img_2285.jpg

The brass tube spacer was then slipped over the shaft.

img_2286.jpg

And the brass bearings pressed into each hub.

img_2287.jpg

Rich

Next the 6mm washer was slipped onto the shaft and the triangular plate that comes with the Panther kit was sandwhiched between the 2 hubs but not tightened. A smear of light oil was then applied to the shaft.

img_2290.jpg

Once the washers and nyloc nuts were on the assembly was slipped onto the 6mm silver steel shaft, all three M4 cap heads were then tignetned up (being on the spindle keeps them on centre).

img_2288.jpg

On top of this goes the second 6mm washer, last and very important is the supplied 6mm collet. This is fitted so that just the smallest amount of play can be felt as the triangular plate assembly is moved up and down.

It is wise to use loctite on this or better still add an indent to the shaft where the centre of the locking grub screw touches the shaft.

img_2291.jpg

img_2292.jpg

img_2293.jpg

It is now ready for me to fit to a model, I will let you know how it goes.

Rich

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

I realise this thread is nearly 6 years old now, but since the Panther has been resurrected in the Autumn special mag complete with plan, can anyone tell me if the head kit is still available and from where?

Sarik don't seem to know there ever was a separate head kit, which is not included in their laser cut short kit.

AM

Allan - I'm slowly building a Panther, and bought the Sarik laser cut parts (some parts not supplied) and the additional wood kit which is a waste of money - no material for blades, but lots of 3mm balsa, much more than needes. I downloaded the head kit drawing from here - the Genesis V2 head as Rich Harris calls it. Bought bearings and Bolts from Modelfixings, and silver steel and brass tube from Maccmodels and the fibreglass delta plate from Coolwind. Coolwind also have a gearbox with prop adaptor that you can use instead of making a head block. I have a lathe, so I made the stationery block from ally rather than laminated ply but it's fairly simple to make and all works fine.

img_8649.jpg

img_8650.jpg

Just need some smaller grubscrews for the retaining collar!

Thank you Gentlemen,

Just ordered the SLEC full kit for collection on my upcoming UK visit.

Hoping that the headset kit includes all the hardware shown in David's photos above, then no need for a gearbox, thanks for the offer Rich.

Look forward to starting when I return to South Africa in March!

Allan Morris

• 1 month later...

I collected the SLEC kit for the Panther, and I have to say was very impressed with the completeness, wood quality and service.

They do the CNC pack, additional wood which included the excellent quality blade material, and the complete head kit with hardware.

Thanks to all for the advices.

Allan M

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...