General questions about R/C and FPV

hi all i just joind club ! i dont have any rc plane yet but i want to assemble a good one so im doin a lot research abt it first

i wish to fly long range fpv same as this guy :

**LINK**

so far ive found that i have to buy bixler 2 from hk

please help me in this regard , im new and i have no information

Advert

Hi Max,

I hate to pour cold water on your dreams mate but I am afraid that kind of long distance FPV flight is not legally allowed in the UK. FPV is permitted in the UK under a specific excemption of a clause within the Air Navigation Order - Article 166-3. This excemption requires the pilot undertaking the FPV flight to have a "co-pilot" effectively. This assistant is not wearing any FPV kit and the model must remain at all times within the unaided vision of that co-pilot. So you can see that this limits the range of FPV flights to within the distance you can see.

If you want to read the full regulations they are here.

Just so that you know - breaking this law is a serious offence in the UK and the Civil Aviation Authority are empowered to pursue matters through the courts.

You can fly FPV in the UK - but legally only within those restrictions.

BEB

So you want to fly FPV 7.5km away and at nearly 5000 feet? You don't say what country you're in, but if it's the UK (or probably most of Europe) then forget it! I don't know what the laws are in Canada (where the video you linked to is from), but whilst they do have the wide-open spaces, that we don't have, to accomodate this, I doubt the flight itself is legal there either.

At 7.5km away that is way, way, beyond the range of visual contact from the ground and ceases to be classed by the CAA as a model aircraft... Furthermore, the power requirement for the video link to operate at that range is far in excess of what is legally permitted.

The CAA permits FPV under certain conditions - including, having a "competent observer" who must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the model at all times, remaining below 400 feet altitude, not flying closer than 150 metres from congested areas, 50 metres of any person, vessel, structure etc., and limiting model weight to 1.8kg, or 2.5kg for helis.

(And once again, BEB proves to be quicker on the keyboard than me!)

Edited By John Privett on 09/04/2013 01:28:13

tanx beb and john for ur helpful infos , im living in Lincoln(uk ) and there are many open field around here ,what if i setup my fpv but do not exceed 1 km and be under 400 ft and for sure be with someone else is it aloud and legall?

i need to learn how to assemble and disassemble the fpv system and plane itself to take it to other countries which long range fpv is legall .

i even dont know how to fly yet so as a beginner and make some exercise would you give me some guidance to assemble same as fpv in youtube link ??

i dont know if there is radio restriction in area or not ! what is 2.4gh and 5.8gh and which one is better

o ive many questions and am so curious to know the answers

please help me

Yes, if you fly within the law in the terms laid down in the link I gave earlier then FPV is fine in the UK.

But FPV is a very advanced form of the hobby. You need to begin by learning how to fly a radio control plane - and that isn't as easy as you think! All of the components of a conventional radio control plane; power system, radio receivers, servos, control surfaces etc. are common to FPV planes so this is the place to start.

You can start with Bixler, its relatively easy model to fly, but set up as a conventional model initially. You say you have joined a club, that's an excellent idea. Buy your Bixler, set it up and take it there, they will give you instruction in how to fly. But, be prepared for it to take some time. Younger people do learn quicker, but even allowing for that it takes some time to become skilled in controlling the model and making it go where you want it to rather than where it wants to go!

Take a look at the beginners threads on here. There is masses of information on how to select and install mootors, battery systems, recievers, and servos. Follow the instructions that come with the Bixler carefully. Take a look at the thread on the various radio systems.

Once you have your basic kit and have learnt to fly it, then you can worry about adding FPV on to that base.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/04/2013 12:42:18

• 2 weeks later...

Max zed

Do you think you will still be able to see a Bixler at 1 km?

I am sure any club would politely tell you stop if you knowingly set out to break the CAAs flight rules.

They just cannot take the risk of being the ones responsible for the CAA changing the rules and actually banning all FPV. There is already some pressure to protect humans rights to privacy from FPV planes.

i was totally new to everything when i made this post , im now fully aware of rules ,but i just want to try it within possible limit and learn to assemble fpv gear and osd and etc and for sure for long ranges using patch antena and uhf i will try it outside of uk !! somewhere that there is no such limits !

i have some other questions since im not member of any club ! what power for transmiter is legall and what radio frequency is not allowed in uk ?

do i must be a member of club in order to fly with fpv gear ?

Buy a branded radio TX like Spektrum, Futaba and the like from inside the UK and you will be UK legal. Most would probably now go for 2.4gig. If you are talking about the on-board transmitter then I have no idea.

Don't run before you can walk though. Fly the pants off your plane before even thinking about FPV. As I understand the situation you do not need to be a member of a club, BUT you need another flyer with you to take over when (not if) you get into trouble, AND it must be within visual range at all times.

OK, Max, take this as a friendly word from Uncle Pete in your shell-like......wink 2smile

Firstly, no-one is trying to prevent you aiming for the stars - we all have our ambitions and dreams - but sooner or later, we often have to rein in those ambitions when we see that they are a bit out of reach.

In your research you may have come across some of the differences and problems which have arisen between the 'conventional' RC flyer and the FPV flyer. Whilst many RC guys have successfully, and legally, experienced FPV, there are unfortunately a significant number of FPV flyers who don't hold with the idea of being constrained by rules, either at Club level or imposed by aviation law.

This has caused quite a few problems between the two groups and the mention of FPV can be a bit like waving a red rag in front of a bull to some RC flyers. Many of us are concerned, rightly or wrongly, that the activities of some FPV flyers will have the unfortunate consequence of greater regulation being imposed upon us all, whether we fly FPV or conventional RC.

Now this forum is overwhelmingly populated by conventional RC flyers who are very willing and able to offer good advice to any newbie who asks - you can see that from browsing through the beginners threads. There are some FPV flyers here too and I'm sure they would be keen to help, provided you restrict your ambitions to what is legally achievable.

A number of forumites have provided very sound advice above and, believe me, all of them want to see you succeed in learning to fly. What they won't do is willingly help you step outside the law.

I'm not going to repeat that advice the good folk above have written. You can re-read it yourself if you wish, as I reckon it hasn't sunk in yet. It would be very easy for us to just refer you to the FPV forums that exist but, to be honest, the advice you may get there could very well lead you astray.

Frankly, I'd rather you stayed with us, learn to fly conventional RC and, once you're a safe, confident flyer, with a real knowledge of the pleasures and pitfalls of this great hobby, then you can dip your toe in the FPV water.....smile d

Pete