How 'wet' can a brushless get?

Simon Chaddock

In the usual banter between IC and electric it was said the IC engines can stand getting wet whereas electric cannot.

I was fairly sure that a brushless would work perfectly well fully submerged as at the low voltages concerned water does not conduct electricity readily and the windings are insulated anyway.

And it does!

Of course corrosion would be an issue, particularly in the ball bearings, if left for any length of time but it doesn't half stir up the water!

Advert

teeth 2 ....well done simon.......one of my electric models crashed and we couldn't find the nose/motor....after a search we found it completely submerged in a dirty pool of water.......took it home left it on the central heating boiler and assembled it all back together the next day...and it ran like a goodin......it was a turnigy

ken anderson ne...1.......wet dept.....

I seem to remember that it was recommended to "run in" brushed motors under water so I can't see any reason why a brushless motor wouldn't work.

Years ago when I worked in a foundry with an electric induction furnace, we managed to flood the pit in which it sat. It was only noticed when the furnace was tilted. The mains powered motor which operated the hydraulic ram to tilt the furnace was completely submerged and ran perfectly well. Needless to say, the pump in the pit was turned on very smartly to empty the water and this motor too was running under water. I don't know what would have happened had the water reached the bus bars which supplied the power to the furnace coils.

Malcolm

I've dumped planes into shallow pools on the beach and picked them up and chuckked them off again with no problems - just spray WD40 when I get home to stop the salt getting at the bearings. I also used to run brushed Zagi motors in water to bed the brushes in - a sqirt with WD40 afterward and they worked fine till the brushed burnt down too far - we did run them HOT!!!!!

When the weather is bad, which looks like most of the time now a few of us do a bit of scale rock crawling mostly using cheap 540 size brushed motors, all the electronics are waterproofed except the motor. These motors spend most of their life submerged under water or covered in mud and apart from a quick spray of motor cleaner at the end of the day and the odd drop of oil on the plain bearings they never give any trouble and usually last 6 months to a year of this abuse before the brushes fail. The brushless motors used by some are sealed units but this is more to protect the bearings than anything else. We have found were water has gotten to the ESC or RX (2.4 only) its the ESC which dies as once the RX is dried out it works perfectly again although I would never consider using it in any of my aircraft.