Hitec telemetry

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the forum! I've moved this post over to the section that covers Hitec gear.

You're in the right place for advice - a friendly bunch here - and I'm sure a Hitec user will be along shortly...smile

I can't help with Hitec as I'm a Spekky user but if there are any similarities at all my thoughts would be:

Have you enabled telemetry in the model menu? - it needs to be done with Spekky.

Do you have both the Tx and Rx switched on - again, with the DX8, the telemetry screens are not displayed until the Tx is receiving the telemetry signal.

Pete

This is from Airteks website on the Variometer sensor

"The HTS-VM Variometer Module requires the HTS-SS Advanced Sensor Station and can only be used with the Optima 7 and Optima 9 receivers, and for the Aurora 9 you will need software version 1.09(0) for it to operate. To determine your version go to System>Info and check Version. In addition your Spectra module requires version 3.01, and some older receivers may require a firmware update. All these updates can be performed by the HPP-22 interface attached to an appropriate PC with an internet connection."

I've got the HP-22 Module. Originally needed it to upgrade the firmware on my Aurora 9 and Eclipse 7 Tx's as the Spektra Module didn't recognise the Minima line of rx's. Also update the binding procudures and battery voltage issues on the rx and Optima rx's.

really one needs the module, as it made all my things work, where I was about to give up with Hitec's 2.4 system,but work all fine now. I upgraded the firware to 3.01 and sorted it.

Keith, telemetry screens will only show when the Aurora TX sees feedback from the sensor station, ie you must have the system setup in the A/c with an Optima 7 or 9 bound, and powered up.

Once this is done cockpit & EZview will become live.

Thanks kiwikanfli,I have powered up the sensor station, ? do i plug it into data socket,or a channel socket? Ive done both, and still I do not get the cockpit screen???? The blue LEd on sensor station flashs,is this correct, (I do wish HiTec would supply instructions!!!!.

Hi Keith, Yes it can be a bit frustrating, I need a magnifying glass to see what plugs into what on the SS. Anyway D (data) on SS into Data port on RX, P (power) into spare channel on RX, R1/R2 = Rpm sensors, G = GPS sensor, C = Current sensor, V = volt sensor, T1/T2/T3/T4 = temp sensors. I used batt/ch7 on Optima 7 for power. The manual for HSS can be found at www.hitecrcd.com/support/manuals/telemetry Unfortunately the manuals are probably Hitecs biggest weakness and can be confusing because although most? info is there it isn't laid out in the most logical way. More info/tips can be found by the Guru of Hitec systems at Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQS. There is a plethora of all sorts of info there - in fact you could get lost in there for several days!! Sorry if this looks rammed together but I am having trouble formatting. Let me know if you have success or not.

Whilst my web page cover a great multitude of items, there is also my separately managed Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky for more and faster Hitec "Telemetry" reference:

Aurora 9, AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers_Receivers & Telemetry,
- FAQ, Setups & Tips {Individual Links often updated}

This because the A9 and systems have evolved greatly since first release of units and printed manuals as just referenced under Blue Sensor Station and C200

. Manuals - Online rather than Printed

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Edited By A.T. on 22/05/2013 22:26:21

Edited By A.T. on 22/05/2013 22:27:27

• 5 weeks later...

Further to getting Hitec vario working, I have got the system working, but the voice box does not announce anything to do with vario!!! Spoke to one of guys at Perkins stand at Weston Park and he admitted that the voice box does not announce any vario info yet!! Will have to wait for Hitec to release upgrades, no eta though, Disappointing eh.

I've found this thread very interesting as I was looking to use vario telemetry on one of my gliders later on.

So, if I need a spare channel on the RX to power the Sensor Station, it also looks like I'm going to have to put a 9ch RX into my glider instead of the 7ch as all my channels are taken, (4 servo wing) unless, can I use a Y lead into ch3 (where my battery is plugged into)?

But the other thing is that I want vario to work through the the voice box as I don't like to take my eyes off the model and especially if I wanted to use a module which displays speed as well. Batting along the slope at a rate of nots is not when I want to take my eyes off the model crook

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 22/06/2013 12:18:04:I've found this thread very interesting as I was looking to use vario telemetry on one of my gliders later on.So, if I need a spare channel on the RX to power the Sensor Station, it also looks like I'm going to have to put a 9ch RX into my glider instead of the 7ch as all my channels are taken, (4 servo wing) unless, can I use a Y lead into ch3 (where my battery is plugged into)?But the other thing is that I want vario to work through the the voice box as I don't like to take my eyes off the model and especially if I wanted to use a module which displays speed as well. Batting along the slope at a rate of nots is not when I want to take my eyes off the model

Steve A470Soaring.blogspot.com

No need to wory about number of chanels, as just repiled on another forum to similar query:

"Use a "Y" as per picture attached first link.
When taking power from an Rx to any other unit such as an HTS-SS best to start at
bottom half of ports being 7,6,5, rather than 1,2,3,4. Do not "Y" with an ESC.

. Telemetry - Instruction Sheets & User Guide with pictures.

. Telemetry - HTS-SS Advance, HTS-SS BLUE & HTS-Volt plus HTS_C50 or HTS-C200 Amp Sensor attachment.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers_Receivers & Telemetry,
- FAQ, Setups & Tips {Individual Links often updated} "

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

• 1 year later...

I purchased a Eclipse 7 Pro to get telemetry for gliders as my other more complex older radios do not have it and are expensive and untidy to upgrade, I must say that I am impressed at what you get for the price. At present I am only using vario and pack/receiver monitoring and it seems to work well for locating general ares of lift. I still use the eye ball in the thermal because of lack of TE.

A major drop off in the Eclipse is that it insists on listing all the sensor results that are not connected. So it is about ten clicks to get from the vario to the pack voltage.

Anyone know how to switch off the unused telemetry inputs? Can this be done using a HP-22?

It is obviously a TX issue as it does this even with an Optima 6 receiver that does not support external sensor inputs.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Rusell,

I haven't tried the vario yet but may well treat myself to one so I'm very interested in any info you can supply on it's pros & cons. There's no way to switch off the unused telemetry display however I think that if you enable sound for for your vario (needs latest Tx update) then you could leave that running and voltage telemetry on display, perhaps that would suit your purposes.

It is possible to choose the telemetry that is displayed if you are using a laptop/PC for display. Why would you, you might ask? Well one reason could be to use the GPS to show realtime location on Google Earth, another could be that on a pc/laptop you can have the GPS show a radial display (bit like a radar in appearance) and this would show the range of the model from the TX as well as other data.

Ian

Ian

Thanks for the input, pity about the TX displaying unused sensors.

In terms of pros and cons, it is early days as, due to the weather, so far I have only found zero or very weak lift. But the lack of total energy comp' is obvious. Need to try it in a real stonker to check it out properly. I use the audio but only for climb. The sink setting just makes a continuous noise. There is a "sens slow/fast" setup on the TX that nobody seems to know about. Might be an averager for the vario.

The audio climb system works in increments of 3ft (1m) and outputs a beep for every step. So faster climb gives faster beep rates and you can calculate this. At 1m the unit is at the low end in terms of sensitivity, others being 0.3 or 0.1m. Don't know how much of a limitation this is but if you are starting from scratch it would be worth checking with others. The lower sensitivity may make it less susceptible to TE errors.

The TX has no earpiece output but I can add a chip to provide this.

One of the reasons I went for the lower cost Eclipse is the eye level display. I have found that the neck strap gets in the way with the lower ones. So I am not into the laptop option. If there was software for a phone mounted high up I might try it. By the way, the iView failed to get to IOS7 and hence it's out of date software does not support vario.

Oh, if you are using an Optima 7 receiver with full 6 servo setup you will need Y cable. The advanced sensor station needs a separate power input.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been continuing to check out the vario sensor (-VM) and have found it to be very useful. The main reason being that it outputs altitude on the Eclipse 7 Pro display as well as the vario tones.

The surprising thing is that it is not quoted as being a pressure altimeter at all!

Anyone have any information on how it works. It could be that the TX is simply counting the vario +- steps up and down and that there is no direct altitude output. Setting zero before a fight and flying up and down to 400ft for 20 minutes results in an error of about 6 ft on landing. Not bad and could just be caused by temperature effects. It has been very hot around here! Much better than a GPS, although it can be a bit slow in updating the results if you climb on engine or dive. As there is no total energy compensation it could be getting confused between displaying rate of change and absolute altitude.

Anyway, any information would be appreciated