Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer

Richard Harris

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/06/2022 at 11:01, Chris Dowell said:

Well I like it........ and I've got the spruce.?

Happy Landings

It's an easy conversion Chris and I can confirm it flies well, really well. With all that rudder it can do quite a nifty spin!

A few photos taken by Mike a few weekends ago as proof.

FB_IMG_1656448760644.jpg

FB_IMG_1656448757509.jpg

FB_IMG_1656448753863.jpg

FB_IMG_1656448749111.jpg

FB_IMG_1656448764207.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I have just started building the revolver, despite 25 years of aero modelling it's my first build from a plan so this forum is a great help. I have been flying fixed wing and helicopters for a lot of years and a few years ago I flew my first autogyro, the HK Auto G, with some success although I don't think my heli experience helped in fact it probably hindered me. Anyway I am hoping all the advice here will give me a good chance with the build and the flying.

There's plenty to read through James, if you can't find the answer just ask.

I'm not into helis so don't really know how autos compare, I'm guessing the lack of wing would be a similar orientation? 

Ive found they do fly like fixed wing, with the exception they are impossible to stall.

Please post your efforts if you get chance?

Rich

Edited by Richard Harris

22 hours ago, Richard Harris said:

There's plenty to read through James, if you can't find the answer just ask.

I'm not into helis so don't really know how autos compare, I'm guessing the lack of wing would be a similar orientation? 

Ive found they do fly like fixed wing, with the exception they are impossible to stall.

Please post your efforts if you get chance?

Rich

Thanks for that Richard, I have read each page more than once and will refer to it as I build. My natural instinct with a heli is push the nose down and increase power to go faster, that might spell disaster with a gyro!

I understand that the hang angle should be about 15 degrees and mast angle to tail boom 5 degrees, correct me if I'm wrong but I assume that i would adjust nose weight to achieve the correct hang angle? Do these settings apply to any gyro or are they specific to the revolver?

14 hours ago, James1955 said:

I understand that the hang angle should be about 15 degrees and mast angle to tail boom 5 degrees, correct me if I'm wrong but I assume that i would adjust nose weight to achieve the correct hang angle? Do these settings apply to any gyro or are they specific to the revolver?

James,

15 degrees is about right for the hang angle, nose heavier is always a good bet for a maiden. As for the mast angle, it's swept back to help with the horizontal CG location, in the same way some full size have forward sweeping masts to compensate for the weight of the pilot.

The 5 degrees is the rearward tilt of the rotors in relationship to the horizontal stabiliser. It just so happens I set my masts roughly to 5/6 degrees Sweep and kill two birds with one stone, helps with CG and the blades can be set square to it for initial trimming. 

Rich

Edited by Richard Harris

22 hours ago, Richard Harris said:

James,

15 degrees is about right for the hang angle, nose heavier is always a good bet for a maiden. As for the mast angle, it's swept back to help with the horizontal CG location, in the same way some full size have forward sweeping masts to compensate for the weight of the pilot.

The 5 degrees is the rearward tilt of the rotors in relationship to the horizontal stabiliser. It just so happens I set my masts roughly to 5/6 degrees Sweep and kill two birds with one stone, helps with CG and the blades can be set square to it for initial trimming. 

Rich

Thanks for the info Rich, much appreciated.

Decided to have a go at nose wheel steering, I used a separate servo as it makes set up and trimming much easier, downside is extra weight but hopefully enough space to adjust cg with battery. I will now have to make a small cowl to allow access as I know from experience that nose wheel steering can be troublesome. Anyway lots more to do and looking at the weather I have plenty of time. Incidentally I have a frsky receiver with 3 axis stabilizer built in, would it work on an autogyro? Didn't really intend to use it on the revolver but i wonder if anyone has tried it.

20231013_103800.jpg

20231013_103739.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's almost there, I have test fitted the head and all is working okay, hang angle comes out at 17 degrees with lipo but without blades, I assume the mast angle is set so that 90 degrees to the head should be correct. I fitted the motor as low as possible so the prop clears the tail boom, and offset about 6mm to the right. Not sure if the wheels might need to be a bit bigger. Anyway just the canopy, wheel spats and blades to finish. I can't see a maiden for some time due to weather in the UK so no rush.

20231030_152705.jpg

20231030_152724.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished the blades, a job I wasn't looking forward too, they came out at 56,57, and 58g so the finished blades are all 58g which might be on the heavy side, they are 535 x 60mm. I wonder what the angle on the inboard end of the blade is for, if I didn't have the plan I would cut them at 90 degrees. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GyroJ said:

I have the RCME plans and magazine, and I really like the way this model flies. I have flown an own design autogyro years ago. It flew well, but lacked in self stability. Prop sound wise I would prefer a tractor set up, do you have any tracktor designs as well? Many thanks ahead!

Autogyro v1.JPG

Autogyro v2.JPG

Yes, I and others have a few tractor designs.

All depends on what you are after really, something simple and moderately sized or a little larger and more complex?

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2023 at 16:10, GyroJ said:

Thanks very much for your reply. Something similar to the Revolver would be perfect.

If you look through the autogyro section there are several tractor design threads, most are supported with plans via Sarik hobbies. 

There is also a simple tractor model designed by the late Tom Wright, if you follow his instructions you won't need a plan, it's called the Cranfly and flies really well.

There are also several plans available at www.coolwind.co.uk 

• 1 month later...

Hi, I don't know if any Revolver builders can advise, but I seem to have gone wrong somewhere at an early stage!  I'm building from the Sarik short kit.

I've constructed the formers F5, F6 and M1 but when I put them together in the "H" structure I'm left with a rectangular slot for the mast which is a lovely interference fit for 6 X 9mm spruce but not 6 X 13 as required!  I'm at a loss to see where I've gone wrong.  The components are laser-cut so presumably the dimensions there are all OK.  The rear edge of the M2 balsa "filling" in the M1/M2 "sandwich" is aligned with the rear edges of the M1 sides.  See photo taken from the top of the "H".

Any ideas?

20240217_160340.thumb.jpg.8b9d26d78e6e7dd1cdba0ac9c80b7384.jpg

• Like 1