Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer

Richard Harris

Maybe I’ve just been lucky but I’ve so far always found that balancing the blades in pairs has been enough to give vibration-free operation. I do agree though that checking balance after covering is important. Indeed, sometimes adjusting the overlap area can be enough for that final balancing tweak.

Trevor

Trevor I do agree that the balancing of blades in pairs or the using of a heli balancer are both very good methods although It does appears to me that we consistently see questions from those just getting into this side of the hobby ,that is completely different to what the may have encountered previously.

So showing , sometimes is easier than telling. I still believe that balancing as one unit takes out all the variances that may creep in regarding differences in bolts, washers ,packing that may have an influence on the final balance .

I know that Rich had a video for balancing in pairs many years ago ...but I cant find it.

Happy Landings

Chris...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich, today I finally tested the rebolver, but it crah luckly without big damages.

Without wind the rotor spin quickly once in air it pitch up with an angle of around 20 degrees and roll toward left doing a half tonneaux and then hit the gtound. Do you have any suggestion?

Cheers Max

That's a fine looking model that you have Max and I can see that you have spent a lot of time on this project.You will find that is very handy if you have a way to accurately measure the "angles " when setting up an autogyro. I am sure you will be aware that there are some good "apps' for this. I have to agree with Steve's opinion that is assuming that picture 1 has been taken with the radio 'on" and the sticks at zero. I have found that 5+ is a good starting point to set up the head...and by 'eye balling " you picture ..it's looking more like 10+ so I can understand you telling us that the blades spun up easerly as it was acting more like a windmill with I'm guessing you pulling even more back tilt to try to lift. So I guessing that it may have lifted pretty steeply ,surprising you and causing you to loose the model .When it comes to the hang angle 15-16 is the minimal safe hang angle ...but I have flown models with up to 20 deg hang with no problems.

Happy Landings

Chris...

Max,

Agree with what Steve and Chris have said, to much rearward tilt there.

If you set up the head so that the moving part is square to the mount this is a good starting point, the mast is tilted back at the optimum angle to aid this.

Another point worth noting is to try not to apply full power on take off (I'm not saying that you did but I have!) , I always like to do trimming hops as this also gives me a good feel for how the model is going to ROG.

Rich

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, my SAB Goblin Urukay helicopter likes autorotations . However he just can't seem to find any friends to share same interests. So I had to build a friend for him - Revolver 2. It will fly all of the flights autorotating!

I have designed and built some autogyros long time ago. After that it took many years doing other things. This year I thought it would be nice to see what ideas others have on autogyro designs. It was a tough pick between Panther autogyro and this Revolver. So I ordered Revolver 2 short kit from Sarik Hobbies and head parts from Coolwind. Maybe I get some nice ideas for my next design from this build

The kit will be build much as drawn on the paper plans. Only small changes are made. One of those is visible, the tail boom is not straight. This makes it possible to use 1" bigger propeller or lower the motor. Colors follow the Urukay helicopters colors but some green will be added to the right side to help orientation.

How much would you recommend for aileron tilt? Does open cockpit affect much to essential aerodynamics? I think it would look cool with open cockpit.

Revolver 2 right front view

Revolver 2 left side

Jussi,

Have only just seen your post, nice work on you Revolver smile d

To answer your question regarding roll, I aim for 15 degrees tilt in both directions. This is probably more than you would ever use (maybe doing rolls) but its always better to have more throw than not enough. Once you get a feel for things you can reduce it to your flying style.

I have found that Revolvers flying characteristics are unchanged with or without the canopy fitted.

You mentioned you have designed your own autogyros in the past, have you got any photos to share of your creations?

Looking forward to seeing how yours progresses.

Rich

Thanks for the reply. Nice to have contact with original designer.I will put 15 degrees and use dual rates to have half movement for normal flight.

There used to be (20 years ago) autogyro.com page for rc autogyros. It had also a technical page for basic setup, hang angles, balance, basic control movements, rotor loadings and so on. Maybe it was old information, but information gathered nicely in one place. I wonder if there is similar page nowadays?

My inspiration for autogyros came from Crimson Skies computer game. There was autogyros. After finding ready made balsa blades from our RC club I started to create a model around those blades. Handwork on wooden parts was not very accurate and models tended to wobble through the air as the bearing was "almost at the center". Nowadays I have access to CNC-router and 3D Printer. That makes life lots of easier to build rotating autogyro things.

The first design (one with short red fuselage) flew... about 20 meters before falling to its side. Something was wrong with this design, horribly wrong.

gyronumberoneside.jpeg

gyronumberonemast.jpg

Second design was using blades from 1st design and put it to Blue Stick (red longer fuselage) RC trainer. This was better success. It flew relatively well, did loops and was able to glide with no engine cut off.

My third design was build over modded and self built glider fuselage with electric motor.Aim was to make it lighter. This was achieved. Gyro number 3 wobbled through air and landing roll was often zero meters. Therefore the broken landing gear was just replaced with a carbon tube placed sideways to the fuselage.

gyronumberthree.jpeg

Sorry about the bad video quality. To be positive, every video nowadays is better what comes to the quality. The first gyro on the video is gyro number three and the second red gyro is gyro number two.

Edited By Jussi on 07/01/2021 21:23:41

Edited By Jussi on 07/01/2021 21:25:46

Posted by Jussi on 07/01/2021 21:19:03:

"There used to be (20 years ago) autogyro.com page for rc autogyros. It had also a technical page for basic setup, hang angles, balance, basic control movements, rotor loadings and so on. Maybe it was old information, but information gathered nicely in one place. I wonder if there is similar page nowadays?"

Jussi,

There is still access to autogyro.com through the "backup" of the internet via the wayback machine at:

autogyro.com

The interface is a little clunky and not every link or picture is guaranteed to work but 90% of the info is still there!!

Malcolm

Jussi,

Thanks for taking the time to post photos, videos and information on your autogyro designs, it's always good to see what others have come up with, great work smile d

With your experience you will have no problems with the Revolver II smiley

I remember Jim's site which gave me inspiration to have a go at autogyros, It's good to see that it is still alive for others to see, he did some excellent work.

It still amazes me how his Suitcase Minnie has been replicated in some form or another many times over the years, not many designs can boast that.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 08/01/2021 13:20:00

Wonderful!

This is what I have been looking for. Especially I was searching this technical specs page: https://web.archive.org/web/20080819183934/http://www.autogyro.com/technic/specs.htm Information there seems correct and useful to me. Thanks Malcolm for the link.

By the way, I like the Coolwind C30 gyro head parts and deltaplate. It seems to be good quality. I 3D printed the lowest part of C30 head to fit my mast better (small changes).

specs.jpg

I also have enjoyed much building the Revolver 2. It should be ready for test flights soon. I will try to get someone with me for taking video of the maiden flight.

Horizontal stick was just a replacement for original broken landing gear. Landing roll on snow was zero so no landing gear with skies was needed, just a stick with balls at the ends. It prevented the gyro of falling to it's side after landing. You are correct that the balls helped a lot for the orientation. I plan to have similar visual aids for Revolver 2. It will have skies for the winter.

The biggest aid for me regarding orientation is to simply fly closer to myself, I think it has improved my flying. I notice more when I switch to fixed wing, before the auto's I only ever used rudder control for aerobatics.

Though It does feel odd when I fly the 3 channel vintage stuff, its like something is missing control wise.

Jussi,

Have skis at the ready, whether I get to use them this year is looking more unlikely due to no flying at my local club with our Covid 19 restrictions in place.

Rich

I second the flying close to aid orientation. My regular fixed wing flying certainly improved after flying gyros, it does feel weird when flying vintage 3 channel. I keep trying to level the wings in the turns! Couloir choice is also important though. I like to have o e end of the model a different contrasting colour. On some I have fitted lights.