Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer

Richard Harris

Finally managed to get out with the Revolver 3 today after a few repairs and modifications due to damage cause by the prop sucking up the closed loop rudder wires surprise

20200517_175707.jpg

I did grab a small amount of footage (sun was in the wrong position), a bit of tweaking needed but I am pleased with the result so far.

Rich

I couldn't resist popping up to the field this evening as it went virtually flat calm, plenty of flights were had with the Revolver. I am pretty happy with the way it is flying now, I did grab some better footage so will eye that up tomorrow when I get chance.

Always good when you take home all the models in one piece and every battery is flat.

Rich

20200519_224529.jpg

20200519_213647.jpg

A little more footage taken yesterday of the Revolver 3, this time fitted with the standard 3 blades. Handled the blustery conditions really well and I prefered it to the 2 blade configuration, as confidence grew I did tighter close in turns. Looking forward to taking it out in calmer conditions later in the week all being well.

I will leave like this, however I am thinking that a larger version may be on the cards.

I flew my Revolver 2 again yesterday (standard version, none of this daring 'look, no tail' stuff!). I'm happy with the setup once it's airborne but the takeoffs are still hairy. The takeoff run seems to continue well beyond the point where the rotors are up to speed. Then, when it does unstick, it rears up sharply. So far it has survived unscathed (I think I push both sticks fully forwards) but it is rather alarming.

I'm wondering this is a technique failure on my part or whether there is a simple cause of this behaviour (too short a nosewheel perhaps?)

TIA

Trevor

Edited By Trevor on 27/05/2020 08:18:19

Trevor

This is usually a symptom of the main wheels being to far to the rear of the model. It stops the model from pivoting. I have had the same problem on several models. When the model finally does come unstuck .it can be found to jumps into the air almost vertically and can be a handful. I would suggest that you bend the U/C to get the wheels further forward.

Chris...

Trevor,

Could be your angle of attack when its on its wheels also, I prefer mine to be parallel or with the nose higher if at all possible. If its not quite right we tend to pull back on the rotors to which there is then a sudden pitch up, you will know when its right as the nose wheel will go light. If you watch my last video again you can just make out this before I commit to more power for the ROG.

Easiest way to achieve this would be to fit a larger diameter nose wheel or spread out the rear UC a touch?

Another reason could be that your thrust line is a tad high which may be keeping the nose wheel tight down until the lift overcomes this force.

Either way its always best to try one thing at a time, would be interested to hear how you get on?

Rich

Posted by Richard Harris on 28/08/2019 21:08:32:

Talking of videos here is the small amount of footage I captured of your first flight with an autogyro including the landing.

Rich

Hi Richard and Gyro Guys

I really enjoyed this thread. I speed read in places, really enjoyed the video with (is it) David's first landing of his first Gyro flight. Such a super reaction to the flight. Its that 'first' landing feeling. It can't be beat. The first landing on the strip, the first with a Jet and the first indoors and so on. You just cant beat those feelings.

I haven't seen you for a while Rich, I'm at home shielding. I didn't get much flying ( indoor) before the lock down and so I am suffering withdrawal now. Have you still got that little Diesel engine? You know the one... the little Mills.

I just got myself a 050 Replica ED Racer from Alex Fin - Amazing.

Take Care

Steve

• 2 months later...

Rich: I finally found your recommended servos online - had to buy from China. I cannot find the Turnigy motor you suggested anywhere. Which would be the better choice? E-flite Park 480 or E-flite Power 10? Both are heavier than the Turnigy. The Park 480 develops 275 watts, the Power 10 375 watts. Which would you recommend? Thanks. Gene