Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer

Richard Harris

Hi Richard,

I have had a look at the plans for the Revolver 2 which was in the May 2019 Mag.

And i am considering having ago at building this as my next Autogyro, what is the ground handling like with no steerable nose wheel. I am thinking about taxing to get the blades up to speed for test hops.

Also carbon tail boom on yours or spruce.

And would it be ok as a second model.

Cheers Steve

Steve,

The ground handling is OK but would be a lot better with a steerable nose wheel, I just kept it fixed as its simpler and lighter.

The booms on both my models are made from spruce, again as it is cheap and readily available, no reason why carbon couldn't be used mind. Some of the lads have doubled up round tubes on other models to make a strong anchor for their tail feathers, I'm sure they will post a few photos if they see this.

Is the Revolver II a good second model? I would say yes if you are transitioning from flying a DC tractor autogyro and are competent at flying it. The hardest thing with a pusher is orientation, once you have mastered that pretty much all other autogyros will be relatively easy bar for the 2 blader which is a little trickier to set up.

I will soon get back on the Whipiteer which will be a good second model, we have not long had our second daughter which, for obvious reasons, has halted all building pretty much.

Rich

I promised to report back on my 'pitch up on takeoff' issue. I couldn't find a larger nose wheel so, as a temporary test, tried Rich's alternative approach and splayed the nose wheel. I've only managed one more flight since doing that but it didn't seem to be a magic fix.

Rich's other suggestion was to try lowering the thrust line. With this in mind I've managed to source an 8in three blade prop but it is a reverse rotation one. In order to use this, is it as simple as re-locating the motor to the left of the centre line, or will the direction of the blade rotation give problems?

Trevor

Hi Trevor

I had this problem with mine initially which turned out to be the head plate being too stiff. Using a 0.8mm and 0.5 mm plates together with a 0.8mm round anti strike underneath, allowed the blades to cone more and cured the pitch up problem. That is why Rich recommends the double plates.

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Waiting until our lockdown eases here in Victoria, Australia and we are out of house arrest, before first flight.

Some minor mods from plan, steerable nosewheel and carbon fibre rudder pushrod.

Thanks Trevor, I copied your colour scheme.

Mark

img_4643.jpg

Edited By Mark Bishop on 24/09/2020 02:37:33

Edited By Mark Bishop on 24/09/2020 02:38:59

Hello Carlos,

Welcome to the forum.

The Revolver II plan is available from Sarik Hobbies HERE along with optional wood packs and a vacuum formed canopy.

For other related items like the head, plates and decals try Coolwind Models HERE

If you do build the Revolver please post your efforts, not heard of one being built in Brazil smile d

Rich

Hello Richard,

No problem I will post my Revolver evolution. Rich... I already have the plans. I bought the RCME magazine. One thing I can´t find in the magazine is the head specs, drawings and dimensions. Do you have some sort of drawing or sketch with the dimensions of the head? I have a lathe and mill center here at the shop and I can machine them.

Regards,

Carlos

Posted by Carlos Rodrigues on 06/10/2020 01:23:12:

Malcom,

Thanks for your quick answer. Please, tell me what changes when using shims? Lift? Bigger head rotation? What is the difference between using neutral angle and negative angle? What about positive angle? Can it be used?

Carlos

Negative pitch causes the blades to spin up quicker and faster but reduces lift proportionally. The more neutral the pitch is the more lift is produced but the slower the spin up. Neutral pitch can work depending on the way the blades are made, hand made blades are always different as opposed to jig machined blades. Positive pitch doesn’t work as the blades will not spin and will not produce any lift. Basically it’s the same principle as windmill sails.