Aurora 9 + 8FG + 14SG

Cirrus

Need to try them out in the flesh but looking to upgrade my trusty DX6i. Will likely go for the A9 based on price and telemetry but a quick quesiton about the Futaba's

I've read reports that the alarm is really quiet. Is it it really that bad? I can't find any video on YouTube highlighting the issue.

If the 14SG had speech I'd probably stump up the extra £200 for it. (I know it might be coming in the future but no guarantees). Also what are your thoughts on transmitters that vibrate? Do transmitter ciruit boards + vibration modules make a good combination? (DX8 suggests not).

Are talking about the 8fg alarm?

If so unless you have a hearing problem i would be surprised that you would not hear it. As the time limit is approached there is a series of warning beeps, which then becomes constant (at the set time) for a few seconds.

If I can hear it, i am sure that a younger non metal fan would have no trouble.

the 14SG alarm is quite loud too, the only reason not to be able to hear is if someone is revving an engine up in the pits behind you etc, as Erfolg says there is a beep every second for the last 10, then a long beep at 0, then the vibration too.

Its not a really rigorous vibration more like a gentle finger massage and Mobile phones have been vibrating away for years with no issues

Cirrus, the Futaba 14 SG has a loud enough alarm and coupled with the vibration mode it would be very difficult to miss warnings. The TX might be a bit dearer than some of Futaba's competitors but you get what you pay for and I'm very content with mine.

The manual could not really be classed as good by any means but I've downloaded Amazon Kindle onto my laptop and bought Malcom Holt's detailed Kindle book for £4.62 from Amazon and that fills in the blanks. It's a good buy. Have a look.

Cirrus, have a look at receiver prices. I've just paid £42 for a Hitec 7 channel receiver that includes telemetry. It's the main reson I sold all my Futaba radio and went to Hitec, both are excellant sets, I'm very pleased with the A9.

yeah agreed. Optima 7's are £35 and Optima 6's are £32.

I held both the A9 and 14SG yesterday. Considering 14SG is £400+ was amazed how much it looked and felt like a toy (very much like my Dx6i).

A9 felt very solid, although opposite end of the scale and felt overly heavy. Grip was much better though which will make DLG usage easier.

For the price and features I cannot pass up on the A9. Ordering monday morning and will pick up at next weekends show.

I'll have a good natured moan to my local model shop when i next go in. I dont mind too much, I was horse trading with him anyway, I'd returned a faulty battery charger and I accepted his price without question. I'm lucky enough to have a shop within 3 miles, he'll get anything I ask for and matches the big dealers prices, this receiver got through the net.

i do try to use him rather than lose him so I'm happy enough.

The great thing about the A9 is that you rarely reach for the instruction book, all the choices are on the screen. I think setting the fail safe and binding the receiver is the only time I've needed the book.

hello cirrus....... i have the A9....wonderfull bit of user friendly RC kit.......it was originally a 35mhz set....and as a result of losing it's long ariel......has an imbalance to it...solved by buying one of the hitec accessories...apart from that...great...... i was a futaba user for over 20 years but changed due to the expensive / cheap look and feel of the new 2.4 TX's and the price of the RX's.......the small optima RX's are good value also and can be had for around about £25.00...full range as well .... each to there own at the end of the day....... but the Hitec stuff is up near the top......

ken anderson....ne....1 hitec dept...