Why aren't plastic UC bolts more widely used?

I just got back from flying, it came to an abrupt end following a heavy landing, and the UC got ripped off (and it cost me a brand new 16 x 8 prop )sevenoaks-20130609-00220.jpg - oh well, time to modifiy the notorious Pulse 125 UC and move it forward - I will be using plastic bolts on all models in future!! Rich

Edited By Dickster on 09/06/2013 15:50:02

Advert

Posted by Simon B on 09/06/2013 16:14:57:

My pulse 40 used plastic bolts and it didn't stop the undercarriage ripping out, as they were an imperial size not far off an M6....

I think mine are M5's but there are also 5 of them which seems like overkill to me? I may try it with 3 - 2 at the front and 1 in the middle - or 4 max..Rich

Funny had a conversation about this today at the field. The problem with plastic bolts is that they stretch and thus become loose. Thread lock is of little help.

Apart from landing carefully (!), an undercarriage that is flexible should absorb most of the shock rather the undercarriage mounting plate. If the mounting plate is too strong, then a hard impact will take out the weakest point to what ever the plate is connected to.

Si.

Plastic bolts won't save your prop Rich......plastic bolts holding the U/C on will let go before the bottom of the model gets ripped out (hopefully) so the U/C comes away. Of course if you have spats these will usually punch two holes in your wing....& the prop still cops it!!!

That said I always knock out the Tww nuts & fit larger plastic bolts to hold my U/C in place.....M5 in "up to 60" size & M6 above that.......

Roger - Elastic bands are the future!

I tend to use bands on 'trainer type' models, this incldes some of my more aerobatic/faster models which I use to try things out - if I do suffer an arrival, they can help take the sting out of it.....

I always use M6 plastic bolts for my undercarraige and they take a fairly hard landing with no problem, I found M5 kept shearing off. ..........................Of course 99% of my landings are greasers! cheekyblush I'm not sure it will save your prop but it will certainly save your fus being ripped apart!

On both my Wot4 and Acrowot Foamees, the first thing I did was to throw away the metal U/C retaining self tappers. Drilled and tapped M5 threads and used nylon bolts to hold the U/C. I've broken a few bolts due to heavy arrivals and wheels encountering pot holes. With over 300 flights clocked up between the planes the plastic U/C mounting platforms have remained in place.

I commend this mod to the house!

Edited By Sparks on 10/06/2013 16:20:39

Posted by Sparks on 10/06/2013 16:19:33:

On both my Wot4 and Acrowot Foamees, the first thing I did was to throw away the metal U/C retaining self tappers. Drilled and tapped M5 threads and used nylon bolts to hold the U/C. I've broken a few bolts due to heavy arrivals and wheels encountering pot holes. With over 300 flights clocked up between the planes the plastic U/C mounting platforms have remained in place.

I commend this mod to the house!

I did exactly the same mod on my foam Acro Wot although I use polypropylene bolts rather than nylon which I found to be a bit too strong. Highly recommended mod that takes only a few minutes to do. I have broken a few bolts with heavy landings which I am sure would otherwise have been enough to rip out the entire mounting plate.

Edited By Sparks on 10/06/2013 16:20:39

I must be a bit light on undercarriage fixings on my Acrowot (balsa artf electrified) as it only has 2 off M4 nylon bolts.
It still takes a fairly poor landing to remove the undercarriage, and to date the only fuselage damage has been dings from the undercarriage striking the bottom of the plane.

I'll live with a broken prop - thats enough though!laugh

Sounds worth doing then. I've started the repair tonight, and at present there are 5 M4's - I'm thinking of changing to 3 M5's in plastic - what does the forum think? Its a fairly large model.....cheers Rich