I Colin,

I've had to go shopping for a suit, just because we have a wedding to attend in a few weeks! Could have bought a lovely plane, Ah well, she's happy now.

This fibre glass, is it a roll of self adhesive tape, reinforced with the glass, or the stuff of my youth, car body repairs, a sheet of glass, cut to size, that you apply resin to? I'm not sure on this one. I have a roll of tape, but none of the other stuff.

Glad your wings done, and do try to be more careful next time!!!

Regards, Glyn.

My Jocasta is now ready to fit the controls. I have never used snakes so would welcome any tips and/or advice on layout and how to do it

I am also looking at using a Spektrum gyro control system, any comments would be appreciated.

Glyn

Its the glass cloth and epoxy system your LMS should have the materials, if not try internat model shops.

De-lux materials do a wing joining kit but I found that I needed 2 kits and the resin 'went off' very quickly.

Monty

'Snakes' are fairly easy to use, just be sure to fix the outer ,particularly at the ends. I wrap a couple of turns of masking tape round the outer and this enables them to be glued in position. Make any curves as smooth as possible and keep checking for free movement of the inner before gluing.

Hopefully you'll now be able to see my new wing (above) that I mentioned in a post above (where the image doesn't show. I've added the glass tape since this image was taken. All I have to do is cover the wing now.

As mentioned above. The ailerons and wing tips are salvaged from the crashed wing. I've also reduced the dihedral.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

On the nice coloured picture of the Jocasta that was printed with the magazine build artical, it shows the leading edge to be moulded fron a 1/4 inch square strip, that has been fixed to the false leading edge. Is this right because it ain't nowhere big enough to allow the correct profile to be formed on my wings. I'm sure mine would benefit fron 1/2 inch square plane down. There will be a gap where the edge meets the sheeting. Problem for me is I have glued the 1/4 in place!

I cannot see a size given on the actual plan, is there one anywhere?

Happy days. Glyn.

Hi Glyn,

I also tried to fit a 1/4'' square strip, but after I saw that it would not be big enough, decided to make my leading edge from 1/2'' x 3/8" or bigger and planed it down. As for getting the 1/4 off, all I can think of is trying to plane it down a little and try to sand it flush with the false leading edge using a sanding block.

Hannes.

Edited By Hannes Koekemoer on 23/06/2015 19:39:00

Yep 1/4 x 5/8 will do it. I will try planing it off, or I might just cut down the front of the ribs and fit a new false edge using a thicker piece to make up the deficit, Shame though, but these things happen. I'll try plane and sand first.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion though.

Kind regards Glyn.

Just been and planed it off. It went with ease. Just need to smooth it off now, so all will be well I think. Got to wait now until I can buy more balsa. Not possible around here, and postage is prohibitive for a small order, so will probably have to wait awhile.

Regards, Glyn.

My wings are done but now need strengthening with glass fibre/ how do it. i.e. do I use it. one under and one over or one layer wrapped under and over.

Where do I start, on the underside or on topside. Never done this before please help.

Hi Monty,

I used an ordinary white gauze bandage and pva glue............ set the width of the bandage to about 6cm then a liberal amount of glue, lay the bandage in the glue and cover again with glue, smooth it off with a brush and wait for it to dry. Worked for mesmiley

Cheers André

Wings, wings I'm beginning to dread them...

Not got as far as the glassfibre bit yet. I have been building, taking bits off, building again, I reckon I have put in over 20 hours just on the wings, and I'm still going ! I have just found them difficult as I did not find interpreting the drawing easy. I was putting on capping then realising that some other part should be in place first, so had to take it off, make a new piece after repairing damage. Been nightmare for me really. Good news is I'm nearly there now.

I do have a question though, I want to cover the ailerons before I fit them, and attach the the horns. But can I glue the threaded plate to the inside of the ply, having drilled, and aligned the screw holes, then do the covering. I can't see a problem here can anyone? Of course you may know a better all together!

Gonna have a rest break as I'm getting a bit uptight. all come out in the wash, as mother would have said

Have fun, Glyn.

Hi Glyn,

It made sense to me to cover the ailerons before fitting, so that's what I did. I glued the aileron horn plate in position prior to covering. Push some short lengths of cocktail stick or similar into the screw holes, with the points facing out. That way you can push the points through the covering as you apply it and be able to find the screw holes afterwards! I put the hinges into the ailerons after I'd covered them. It's not too difficult to find the slots by feeling for them through the covering, which you then slit, in order to insert them.

Hi guys, i have been reading your posts over the last few months, but first chance i have had to make a reply, i am also at the jocasta wing build stage, and must agree not the easyest of wings to build, however i really must try Andjo's idea of useing p.v.a glue with bandage, always used resin in the past, but always found it very messy no matter how careful i seem to be , i will post some wing pic asap, my left wing and centre section are now complete,sorry to here you had such trouble with the wing build Glyn.

Cheers guys. I bought a wing joining bandage kit, that came supplied with a two part resin mix. It would be messy and sticky I reckon, so will go with the PVA, as suggested.

Can anyone give me the correct measurement between the wing tip and the horizontal plane please. I think this would be a great checker to ensure the assembly is correct before applying the epoxy.

Looks ok outside today so am going flying. Have fun, and thanks again.

Glyn.

Just re reading previous posts. Had a problem with my Jemima and my strip. I use a farmers field which is out to hay and had lots od sheep on it. We had a few ruts from field drains so everyone put larger wheels on our planes. I have used 5" (127mm) wheels to overcome. They worked on Jemima so I am pretty sure they will with Jocasta.

May help others who have a less than perfect flying field

Wings now sorted, filler used where necessary and sanded, seen what others have done bit worried about using PVA with bandage to stiffen joint. (A bit old fashioned at my age)

Also worried about using epoxy, I have become a bit slow at working, so ordered some guaranteed slow set epoxy today in 3 times the bottle size I had from another source. will wait until it arrives and go from there.

Then I will let all know the details.

Hi Monty,

I'm with you only this afternoon I have glued my three wing sections together. In fact the epoxy is setting as I write. For some reason, I could not see why, my right hand outer was not a good mate with the centre section. I aligned the leading edges, and made a wedge and fixed that into the tapered gap! I'm going to use PVA with my bandage, I think it will be cleaner and easier. PVA is pretty strong when mending house furniture, I find.

I'll get there soon. I hope. Got the covering to do then, and I'm pretty useless at that. I'm going to watch a load of you tube videos first.

Monty2, well i have never used PVA with bandage before and alwas used Fiberglass resin, but the concept sounds good, when i have finished my 2nd wing i will give PVA a go, it cant be no more messy than useing fiberglass, i look forward to seeing the results, i still need to sort out the power plant yet,