Thanks for that Jim. That has reassured me greatly. I'm not too worried about the flying time. At my present stage about 8 minutes in the air is more than enough and you're right, I won't be thrashing it. At some point perhaps, I'll get some more 3300 mAh LiPos from 4 Max, but at present being able to use batteries of slightly less capacity and cheaper will allow me to actually get some flying in.

I'll post some more images when I've finally got it covered. 😊

Advert

jocaster nz 03.jpgThe New Zealand Jocasta is also complete. Despite all of the drawing issues it eventually came off the build bench today. The Pink and Purple livery (Hobby King Film) sort of grows on you. My wings are bolt on rather than rubber bands as I prefer bolts. I am pretty pleased with the result and I am looking forward to her maiden flight soonish.jocaster nz 02.jpgjocaster nz 01.jpg

Edited By Robert Berger on 16/03/2015 09:07:53

I had no issues with my motor, supplied b y BRC hobbies up here in the North East. It fitted nicely without any intrusion from cables.

however when setting up the ailerons, I had big issues with fitting links to flappy bits. I can't measure anything properly these days. I cut the wires rather short say they don't flap correctly. Ne'er mind, ordered some more bits to do the job properly

Should be ready for a photo soon .

I am [planning on completing my Jocasta with a Spektrum AR635 Rx. when you get to my age, you need some help.

I already have an Eflite apprentice with this help and all my mates who have seen it in operation are well impressed.

On a poor site (farmers Field) it helps to keep take of straight and when in the air with less than optimum winds, its brill.

Just had another set back, needed some bits to link servos to ailerons, ordered M2 sized wire with threads cos like an idiot I assumed M2 was a simple metric conversion. I did all my apprenticeship in the old fashioned imperial days.

M2 ain't 2.00 mm its 1.6. what a stupid system. Now I have to wit for some real 2milly stuff.

Imperial much better it told you what it was whether in fractions or decimal, much more sensible, sod the French. By the way it wasn't down to Napoleon, he tried to stop it but didn't legislate soon enough. It was those bloody revolutionaries who chopped off heads if you didn't agree with them.

Sorry that was another historical myth destroyed.

Balancing and some technical info for you all. I have a 3s 3300 40C Zippy Compact battery up front. My motor is a 35-48 900Kv 815Watt. The model is built to the plans as best I can but it is nose light. The drawings put the CoG at around 100mm back from the LE on the main Spa. With the balance machine on that spot the nose was well up. I have had to add 280 grams of lead into the nose to fix this. The picture below is after installing the lead. I use wheel lead strips that are self adhesive. they are 12 segments of 7 grams per segment, per strip. 12 segments are in the engine bay beside and under the motor because the further forward the less weight you need. The rest are in the battery bay. Any thoughts on this?

012.jpg

013.jpg

Check the weight of available battery packs and fit the one that needs least ballast.

You could go up to 4s and adjust the prop to suit. ( unfortunately this may involve buying more battery packs)

I am waiting to set the balance by getting the battery to give the nearest without ballast.

Robert, its OK scratted around in by bits box and found enough (just) to do the job but will bear in mind for the future.

Just fitted the U/carriage and its bits so it moves forward. Am now sitting at my PC and am going to programme the receiver with the aid of a Spektrum video and make sure it works on my Jocasta.

Then its finish the wings and cover it. I'm a bit slow cos of er indoors and her needs. She has driven her own car for 40+ years but it looks as though health demands its time to stop so \I am now the family chauffeur. More time demands.

I don't know if I have already said this but someone pointed out that when you are young, the prats tell you not to do this or that, to give up wine women and song etc. and this will add years to your life. BUT they don't tell you it all comes in later life when you're to bloody old to enjoy it.

I built a Jemima last year and was paranoid about having to add any weight. Jemima has a short nose and a relative long tail moment. Keeping weight out of the tail is really important as you have to add so much more in the nose to compensate. Before putting anything on the tail I look so see if I have got a lighter one but the thing that I avoid if at all possible is a tail-wheel and all its gubbins.

I would imagine a very simple light skid would be fine. Try taking off the tail wheel assembly and then see how much lead you can take away. I think you will be surprised!

just did a quick calc. My tail wheel is 14gm with a distance of appx 32inches = a moment of 448gm inches.

and an appx nose distance of 12inches needs a 32gm counter weight. I too had been thinking of a simple ply skid.

Will now make one and check its weight to see which is best. A skid may be better for my flying field and help to keep take off in a straighter line.

• 2 weeks later...

😊 Finally the sun came out and the wind died down to a gentle and hardly noticeable breeze. As I already had everything charged up and ready to go I set of for our flying field. I'd hoped to find myself up there alone, to save embarrassment. However, I needn't have worried. When I arrived two of the members were already present and, as one of them was the guy who had taught me to fly I got him to maiden my Jocasta, as well as trim it out for me. It completed its maiden successfully and landed in one piece; and you're right Jim, it does have to be flown in.

As I hadn't flown since November (I'm still a novice) the other member let me fly his Wot4. Following this I took my Jocasta up myself. It's a different flying experience to what I'm used to and I found that using rudder, as well as ailerons much improved the turns. But oh dear, I couldn't seem to land it! Thankfully our club instructor brought it down for me. After that I was on my own. I made a further four flights and did, after several go arounds, manage to land it myself. From what I'm used to with a borrowed Wot4 the Jocasta comes in a lot faster than I'm used to and uses up most of the strip! Well it does in my hands!

As I gained confidence I did some loops and found that it will practically loop around its own tail. I tried some very slow, lazy loops and in these the Jocasta rolls of the top. I couldn't get it to roll at all. Lastly I took it up high and tried an outside loop, rolling out at the bottom (deliberately); this went very well. It might be questioned that these manouvers were a little premature for a novice; but I believe in having some fun and it also taught me what the Jocasta is capable of and what it isn't. All in all a good days flying, as the Jocasta made 6 successful flights. Thanks Jim. 😊

It's been a while since I last posted and have never got a chance to build the Jacosta. However this week hopefully I'll start. I wish that someone however point out to me what wood I need to buy. Bare in mind that getting the woodpack from the UK will cost me a lot due to shipping costs so I need to buy the wood and cut all the pieces myself. I would appreciate all the help, cheers guys!

Honestly can't remember how much wood I used (I already had some), but I would recommend buying all your wood as sheets. If you can get your wood in 4' x4" size it's more economical. All the strip wood that you'll need can be cut from the sheets with a Slec balsa stripper; this will mean that your strips will be more uniform (cut from the same sheet) and also cheaper. 😊

Hi Sean,

I know where your coming from. It would be great if plans or build articals included a parts list. I can help you though as I had a wood pack delivered only yesterday. This is the main pack, I have not bought the optional pack as yet, so I cannot tell you what's in that which I guess will be the extras, piano wire etc.

Give me a few hours and I will unpack and measure every thing up for you, and I will try to put a photo up so you can see it all.

Kind regards, Glyn