Beginners headache

Martin Hickey

Advert

New in the hobby - Started with a Hobbyzone Glasair - ubdercarriage a bit fragile for a trainer - great plane though - but on advice got a ST Discovery - it's a great first plane big enough to fly in windy conditions - stable - very strong undercarriage ... now flying solo and having lots of fun with it - Kings Lynn models do a deal with 2 batteries ( no I don't work for them ) postage cheap - talk to them about a complete set up or like me buy a 4 ch receiver ( £20 ) and a beginner 4 channel Transmitter ( Spektrum ) or buy a better transmitter which you can reuse on other models.

It's a great plane to learn - easy to repair or get spares for ( I got 2 one as a flyer other for spares - and so far haven't needed to open the box on the ' spare ' as plane is so tough ).

As someone esle said talk to local club - I am sure everyone happy to name their favourite.

Have got a Riot and a Discovery and would have thought that the Discovery was a better bet for your purposes. The Riot has a week undercarriage and is a pain to put the battery in upside down (have fixed a safety plug in mine) , the flying performance difference is minimal, the Discovery a little more docile and battery accessed from the top. Brian

• 2 weeks later...

TBH I don't think there is a lot to choose bewteen the two of them flying wise - having flown both I can say that they feel very similar.

With absolutely no wish to be "ageist", or over personal, can I ask how old your father is? Whilst both these models are "well mannered" and not particularly difficult to fly, it is a fact that neither of them have the sort of stability margin you would find with a more traditional trainer - nor in my view are they as robust/repairable. I've seen youngsters use them succesfully as trainers, and some of our more mature collagues have also enjoyed sucess. But it has to be said that the, err how shall I put it, "more senior beginners" smile I have encountered have tended to adapt to, and feel more comfortable with, something a bit more stable and slower. Just a thought.

BEB