Orangerx flight stabiliser

Phil Winks

Today I took del of this item

img_20130812_202233.jpg

Now I bought this from HK knowing full well it comes without a user manual and nor is there a downloadable one, However the many discussions on their product page do suggest its a simple affair to set up simply connecting the relevant input and output channels to the correct RX outputs and servo's. then checking to see if any of the channels need reversing on the unit, adjusting gain as desired to increase or decrease its ability to keep stability.

However not much is said about this latest ver with delta and V-tail support so really my question is has anyone tried figuring this out yet

Phil

Yes I'd seen that it obviously is compatable with the orange tx too James

on the manual question the only place I can find one is on a HK archived page

HERE

I think its what someone has written from experience of the V2 with out the delta and Vtail and aux on of function only 3 dip switches in the picture there are some other documents though that mention the aux on/of function and how to enable it

Phil

You snuck that in while I was typing mate your answer is above to be fair shame they archived the page and didn't link the files prob thought they weren't relevant

Edited By Phil Winks on 13/08/2013 19:25:55

• 5 weeks later...

I gave up waiting for these to appear in the UK Warehouse and ordered one in from Hong Kong, and it appears to be trying to do exactly "What it says on the tin". My only problem is that none of my higher amperage speed controllers seem to be able to "hear" what the Rx says, everything else seems to be working as it should. The throttle channels works perfectly with a 20A BEC coupled to a small motor and appropriate 3S LiPo. Any suggestions?

Posted by Ian Southerton 1 on 13/09/2013 14:49:32:

I put a V3 on a flying wing.

The only problem i had was not following the instructions correctly and selecting delta on the gyro and not on the tx!

Thats a difference from the V2 then as the wing mixes are not needed on the tx my V2 works a V tail without mixing at the TX just have to remember to put the relevant servos in the right connectors ie use rudder and elevator servos on either side of a V tail and aileron and elevator on delta the second aileron output on V2 by the way is simply a servo reverse for one wing not really that necessary on most models

• 11 months later...

Hi pilots.. I have a profile foam plane which does not have a cockpit. All components have to be velcro'd to the outside of the plane. I also have the OrangeRX receiver/3 axis gyro. I really don't want to mount it on top of the plane for looks purposes. That means it will have to go under the plane upside down. Why do I think that's a bad idea? Anyone have any thoughts?

Hi Jery it indeed is a bad idea the stabiliser needs to be flat to the airframe with the top uppermost, orientated for/aft as the gyros have to know which way is up and which way the aircraft is pointing you can reverse the channels if you have to put it back to front but not if its upside down worst case scenario would be it would try to roll the plane inverted

Hi Jerry,

I have one fitted to a profile plane. I fitted it on the side under the wing root. Works perfectly, just connect the rudder to the elevator channel and elevator to rudder. The are quite simple devices really, just a 3 axis detector. It doesn't know or care which way up it is. If you want to fit it upside down you will just need to reverse the elevator channel.

Andrew

One thing I would add that *is* important, make sure it is firmly fixed to the airframe. If there is any movement possible it will allow ocilations to build up. Don't use velcro tape as it's too remote from the airframe.

Stick it on with some hot glue or tie wraps.

Andrew

Thanks guys. All good advice. As you can tell, I am up very early. Bad case of Insomnia. I have seen a couple of Youtube videos where the guy has the OrangeRX under his wing, upside down. For some reason I don't think the Orange RX is as sensitive as the Guardian. Well I will try some of your all suggestions, and get back to you. Thanks

laugh

I have my Orange Rx receiver/gyro combination all mounted and ready to go. I know that I must move the AUX dip switch so I can turn it off and on with my DX8. I want to fly tomorrow morning, but I can't seem to move the switch. I pushed in both directions, but it won't budge. I don't want to force it and break it. Why can't I get that dip switch to move?

frown

Be VERY careful about checking for correct operation before you fly anything with one of these Orange things!

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole myself but that's just me. (It just sounds barking mad to put £10 worth of suspect electronics in between all your primary controls)

We had very bad crash due to one of these the other day at our strip. A flyer with decades of experience had fitted one to a 'spirited' model to try and reduce it's twitchiness. It was all checked out and test flown by the clubs recognised 'best' flyer. He can fly anything and usually get the most difficult model tamed. But this time he was unable to recover the model. A crash happened and damage was limited to property fortunately as the model was completely out of control.

Post mortem results show that actually, the aileron correction control was backwards.

I don't think anyone would use one of these again in our club!

Edited By Masher on 06/09/2014 07:30:39