FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

Hi,
I've just finished doing a heli setup for the Taranis+, but it's just the basic CCPM heli. 
What I want to do is add some features that I have in another model setup, like Throttle safety, and some other things.
Does anyone know if there is a way in Companion where I can copy a few lines of Special Functions all at once, and copy them as a block into another model's (already created) setup?

I'm using the latest release of firmware and companion.

Advert

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

It may have worked in earlier issues (before my time) but there seems to be no way that I can find of doing it with version 2.0.15

I've just tried it again a few minutes ago.
I thought it may have ALSO been possible in the "compare models" feature, but alas.
Unless I'm looking in the wrong place?
Kind regards,
Martyn Coles

Hi Martyn

Individual lines can be copied and pasted in "Inputs" and "Mixes" just by right clicking on any line.

Individual lines can be copied and pasted in "Logical Switches" and "Special Functions" by right clicking at the very left hand end of the line where it says L1 or SF1 etc.

I don't know any other way to copy from one model to another.

As Bob suggested, I also tend to copy a whole model, and then tweak to suit. That way all my switches and programming is common between models. Which helps me remember what does what.

Thanks Chris and Bob.

That bit of info will be very useful. I've just tried it and it works for me. It is certainly a lot easier than copying manually by eye, which could also lead to mistakes.

I usually have copied my most complex model and then use it as a template for the next, but this is my first attempt at a heli, and I started with a blank setting due to using the heli setup guide on OpenTx University.

There was quite a lot of things to enter, and I didn't want to begin by editing my normal template, which I felt could introduce an error.

Now that the heli works, I now want to add my telemetry and throttle safety stuff amongst other things.

Thanks again. Martyn

• 3 weeks later...

Try this first Gary:-

After switch on, go to RADIO SETUP page. (Long press on MENU)

Then scroll down, only a few lines to Sound - Mode.

Highlight that, start it blinking by pressing enter, then scroll around the settings which are:-

Quiet, Alarm, No Key and All.

Try it on each setting until you have what you want. I'd suggest starting with "All".

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 09/03/2015 17:55:50

• 2 months later...

Hi,

the very first posting in this thread warns about connecting to a constant current charger which I understand.

It is getting near to holiday time (for me) and I think I need to put together a charging kit to use from my car battery.

Am I correct in thinking that if a lead is made up with DC Jack one end and Cigar plug the other, no dropper resistors or anything (bar a fuse) then this is all that is needed to charge the Taranis transmitter?

Kind regards,

Martyn Coles

As the person who first damaged his Taranis by trying to charge using an intelligeny chager (a Graupner UNimat 16) I never try to charge by batteries in situ. Having to replace a SMD mosfet was tauma enough for me I just take the battery out each time to charge using the same charger I use for all my battery recharging - the aforesaid Graupner.

The charge requirement for the Tarnis is 12v DC so I suspect your idea would work. I prefer my method.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply. Also thanks for your opinion.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. It's just not worth making up any leads just for holidays. I can take the battery out easily enough and use my trusted Ripmax 12v charger for both flight-pack and the Taranis Tx.

Cheers,

Martyn

Hi Martyn.

Sorry I missed this. The power supply that comes with Taranis is simply a 12V suply, the charger is in the Tx. So I see no reason whatsoever that a 12V supply from a car battery wouldn't do exactly the same job.

Mind you, the Tx lasts so long on a single charge, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't need to charge it at all, unless you get an awful lot of flying in over your holiday.

PS, I keep a tiny 2S LiPo in my Tx case, there as a backup Tx battery - the 2S balance plug will go straight in. Guess what? I've never used it.

Hi Chris,
This Taranis just keeps getting better and better!
I'd forgotten that the battery connector used a LiPo balance type plug. I don't think I've had the battery cover off since I bought it last October.
I've just tried a 1500 2s Lipo that I have and it fits in the battery compartment perfectly.
No need to bother about cigar-style charging leads any more. I just hope I don't forget there's a LiPo in there and charge as normal on the mains charger - I guess the built-in charger won't auto detect the battery type and change its charge method from NiCd/NiMh?
Thanks for your reply.
Cheers,
Martyn

I've decided to sell my Taranis 'B' for two reasons - I need funds for something much more important, and I just dont use it (it has flown once at the 2014 Ponty Retro RC event and thats it). Its immaculate of course and comes with two receivers, an X8R and an X6R, a high-precision vario, charger and a fitted Maplin aluminium case. It has the 2000mAh pack. The total cost was over £220, any ideas what I could reasonably ask for it please?

Cheers
Phil

For those interested the painless 360 chap has just started a nice series on setting up the Taranis on youtube. Nice to see something in English instead of American for a change.

His latest video goes through the basic setup of a model and compares against doing the same on a Spectrum. He uses the setup wizard which makes it incredibly easy. Also a good discussion on channel mapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azs1wmr4c7w

A.

Edited By AJ on 21/05/2015 09:34:42

Rssi stands for received signal strength indicator. It is a measure of how strong a signal is being received. On a Taranis system this information is sent back to the tx via the telemetry feed and displayed on the status screen.

As an output on a receiver it could be used to feed into an on screen display unit to display on a fpv video downlink. Or into a flight controller to warn of poor signal.

A.

The RSSI is active automatically - even with nothing connected. You can set the alarm and critical alarm levels you want - but the defaults are good conservative values anyway.

I was doing a survey mission recently which involved flying over a large expanse of water, RSSI was invaluable for that. You would be very surprised at how short a range the 2.4GHz signal can drop off when over water!

BEB

Posted by A.A. Barry on 21/05/2015 14:19:52:

So for normal control, it can be ignored. ??

Barry

I would qualify BEBs comment by saying that if the RSSI is trying to tell you something is wrong, then you shouldn't ignore it.

However I think your question was about the RSSI connection on a receiver, which is a varying voltage level that is proportional to received signal level. As AJ says, this is generally used by multicopter and FPV folk, to feed into their systems.

Posted by Phil Green on 18/05/2015 22:18:41:

I've decided to sell my Taranis 'B' for two reasons - I need funds for something much more important, and I just dont use it (it has flown once at the 2014 Ponty Retro RC event and thats it). Its immaculate of course and comes with two receivers, an X8R and an X6R, a high-precision vario, charger and a fitted Maplin aluminium case. It has the 2000mAh pack. The total cost was over £220, any ideas what I could reasonably ask for it please?

Cheers
Phil

Phil, I guess it's worth whatever you can get for it. I guess something less than retail, to induce someone to buy second hand rather than new, but I wouldn't come down too far unless you're feeling generous.