FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

A quick warning to anyone who has or intends to get the new Taranis transmitter from FrSky - use only the supplied charger or a similar 'dumb' 12v half amp supply to charge the supplied battery in situ.

Someone on another forum tried to use an intelligent charger set to 1A and it didn't like it! The Taranis has a built in charge system which will regulate the charge to 400mA or so, an intelligent charger connected externally will keep ramping up the voltage in an attempt to force the selected current through, doing much badness to the internal charge circuitry in the transmitter!

As for my first impressions - RTFM helps, as does a quick browse of the FrSky pages on the Open-TX web site.

Being a man, I of course just switched it all on and plugged a few servos in because it was only a transmitter! Being a Futaba user I was soon trying to figure out why moving the aileron stick moved the throttle servoindecision

Before selecting a model memory, you need to set the default channel order that you want, eg AETR for those of a Futaba bent, or normal people as they are more commonly knowndevil

After that it's simple enough to set up multiple rates, expo, basic mixing etc.. I've yet to try anything complex, but it's certainly not intimidating for a basic sports model with retracts.

It's got a good solid feel to it, though I'm undecided about the case shape as it just feels odd to my Futaba accustomed hands. Sticks and switches feel quality, though the side sliders could do with a more positive ratchet.

The top front switches commonly assigned as rates are all 3 position, in fact there's only one switch that's two position if you don't count the trainer switch.

Overall first impression - very good quality for the price and easy to set up the basics. What more can you ask for in a sub-£140 transmitter capable of 32 channels, telemetry, voice output, 60 model memories even without the micro-sd card and it's own carrying case?

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 15/08/2013 10:26:59:

A quick warning to anyone who has or intends to get the new Taranis transmitter from FrSky - use only the supplied charger or a similar 'dumb' 12v half amp supply to charge the supplied battery in situ.

Someone on another forum tried to use an intelligent charger set to 1A and it didn't like it! The Taranis has a built in charge system which will regulate the charge to 400mA or so, an intelligent charger connected externally will keep ramping up the voltage in an attempt to force the selected current through, doing much badness to the internal charge circuitry in the transmitter!

As for my first impressions - RTFM helps, as does a quick browse of the FrSky pages on the Open-TX web site.

Being a man, I of course just switched it all on and plugged a few servos in because it was only a transmitter! Being a Futaba user I was soon trying to figure out why moving the aileron stick moved the throttle servoindecision

Before selecting a model memory, you need to set the default channel order that you want, eg AETR for those of a Futaba bent, or normal people as they are more commonly knowndevil

After that it's simple enough to set up multiple rates, expo, basic mixing etc.. I've yet to try anything complex, but it's certainly not intimidating for a basic sports model with retracts.

It's got a good solid feel to it, though I'm undecided about the case shape as it just feels odd to my Futaba accustomed hands. Sticks and switches feel quality, though the side sliders could do with a more positive ratchet.

The top front switches commonly assigned as rates are all 3 position, in fact there's only one switch that's two position if you don't count the trainer switch.

Overall first impression - very good quality for the price and easy to set up the basics. What more can you ask for in a sub-£140 transmitter capable of 32 channels, telemetry, voice output, 60 model memories even without the micro-sd card and it's own carrying case?

To be fair it is not certain that the manner of charging is to blame for the problem being experienced. However it is always wise to RTFM.

No, it's not absolutely certain just very likely, but either way it's still not a good idea to try using a constant current souce as the charger supply on this transmitter so I thought it worth passing this on.

A constant current source WILL keep ramping up the voltage and go far beyond the rated 12v input the transmitter expects if anything tries to limit the current unless it's a very clever voltage limited source.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 15/08/2013 11:25:17

So far I've only brushed the surface of what it's capable of. From reading up on different forums it appears that whatever you want to do, there are many ways to acheive it. Possibly that's what makes it a little confusing if you try to compare to Futaba, Spektrum/JR/ Hitec etc menu systems. You don't select preset mixes, you need to just think what you want to happen when you move a stick or switch and work from there.

Lots to learn!

It actually comes out of the box as a basic old fashioned 4 function outfit by default configured as Spektrum output channels. There are also a few templates provided to give new users a start.

A lot of people are comparing the programming to the Mpx 4000. I don't know as I've never used one, but once you put aside your preconceptions from other systems it's all quite logical. R.Scott Page has done some youtube videos which give just a taste of it's capabilities, and the guide on the Open-TX web site covers most of the basics.

Considering that I still need to use Annamarie Cross's book and web searches for some functions on my FF9 it's not proving as much of a culture shock as I expected.

For £140 I'm really impressed with the build quality - everything except for the battery cover which just doesn't feel as secure as it could be.

How about setting global variables and software switches (ie switch a + switch b but not switch c) which can be used at any point in the programming, programmable sounds (eg if flaps down,u/c up and low throttle you get a spoken 'gear up' warning) and lots of silly things - play an mp3 track on demand for one.

I've not checked the specs but I haven't found a limit to mixing inputs so far. It really is far more powerfull than I'll ever need and makes my FF9 seem quite basic.

Did I mention 60 model memories built in + an sd card? Backup models to the sd card at the press of a button? Spoken telemetry values either timed or on demand?

But only two user defined timers per model thoughlaugh

I've been using FrSky kit (receivers and modules) since it first came into the country- 3 years ago, 4? - there have been a couple of little blips along the way but the issues were dealt with quickly. One issue I remember was a batch of faulty supply smoothing capacitors on one lot of receivers. I had two go pop, though the receiver worked just fine without it. FrSky owned up to the faulty components, and appeared to improve their goods in QC as a result. They listen to individual users, respond to emails and appear to care about quality. What you get is decent gear without the brand name mark-up. Am I biased? Yes, in that I'm a happy user and I'm happier recommending this than I would be with, for example, Spektrum branded items.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

after a looong wait I finally have received the Taranis and X8R Rx. I had already downloaded the instructions manual and read it, but without the radio it really did not mean much .

Now after maybe 2 weeks I have only praise for this new system. I have been able to program some quite complex "mixes" partly from the Tx and partly from the "Companion" software. The logic becomes very clear after some experimenting and I find it very easy to understand and exploit.

In the meantime I have verified that the Taranis is a 2048 steps system, much like the JR X9303 but I still have not found if the Taranis sends all "pulses" concurrently, i.e. not in sequence.

I have still to explore the telemetry capabilities, but, again, I'll have to wait until I receive the sensors.

In summary I really like this radio, other opinions, suggestions, accomplishments?

Let us hear them.

Dino

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 22/10/2013 08:47:47

Had mine for about 3 weeks and installed 6 receivers in different planes, all good so far. RSSI telemetry on audio via a switch has re-built my confidence after losing 3 planes to faulty radio equipment (Spektrum).

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 22/10/2013 08:48:13

I have been watching the development of the Taranis with great interest. With great enthusiasm I purchased Spectrum when it came out foolishly believing the hype from Horizon Hobbies. I sold all my Spectrum because it did not offer the reliability of 35mhz at the time. I then tried Multiplex M Link and this has been 100% but the cost of the RXs has been prohibitive. Then this year following threats from other modellers I had to stop flying 35mhz which I could no longer use for safety sake, this left me with a lot of models which were not flyable. So I invested in a Frsky hack mod for my old MPX 3030. This has given me a rock solid link that I have been very impressed with and rxs at a price 1/3 of the multiplex.

So after looking at the spec of the new MPX Profi which I was saving up for, I realise I can have a better spec TX for 1/5 of the price! It looks like a no brainer to me especially when I read the reports back. And these reports include some top competition pilots who are moving from MPX. So its a Taranis for me and I can spend the money saved £550 on some other modelling stuff.

I think open tx could be a real game changer to RC manufacturers.

Edited By Bearair on 22/10/2013 10:24:27

My only worry is that the Open-Tx developers may not know when to stop adding bells and whistles! I've not even downloaded the current version of Open-Tx, the one it came with is doing everything I want.

Just out of interest, can you expand on "threats from other modelers I had to stop flying 35mhz which I could no longer use for safety sake"? Was it pressure from other club members, guerilla flyers or what?

It was a group of silly old men who wanted to fly electric on a National Trust site, they were used to getting their way by bullying people with sacastic comments and veiled threats. Personally I think their threats of shooting me down and how they had done it to others was just more rubbish BUT I was flying F3F gliders and 4m scale ships so I was not prepared to put others lives at risk.

Ironically they went to the BMFA saying I had bullied them, but that did not work either, and the last time I saw them I was no longer the target of their abuse but their old club chairman had taken my spot!

Roger

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 15/08/2013 10:26:59:

smiley I am that man. With a lot of help I eventually identified the fault as a blown MOSFET on the main board which I replaced. It's a surface mount component which made it tricky but I've been using my Taranis in anger for some time since without a problem. Actually the fault never stopped the transmitter from working; it just stopped it shutting down properly when turned off. I bought a second Taranis so now I have 2 ... and charge my batteries externally.

It's the time of year for indoor flying and I have a couple of small helicopters, a Blade 120SR and a WL Toys V911. Neither use FrSky technology but the JR compatible plug-in makes it possible to fly both with my Taranis. I have an Orange DSMX module for the Blade and a FlySky for the V911. Both work perfectly.

Until I got the Taranis I was using a FrSky DiY module with my Multiplex3030 as well as a Futaba FF7 Super (the old original) with a FrSky plug in. On the Mux I had always programmed a switch as either a throttle cut for ic engines or a throttle inhibit for electric so I've done the same on the Taranis. I also have verbal warnings ("Engine On" ) if the throttle is enabled and the message "Throttle Hold" when it's off.

One timer is set on a switch to give total flight time and the other uses the throttle % option to give me a feel for battery use. I've only used it for electric flight so far.

I have yet to try telemetry as I don't have any suitable receivers but that's the next step for me. I'm now fairly comfortable with the programming but I've still got a lot learn. I've just scratched the surface.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 23/12/2013 12:43:21

Hi Geoff, that's very honest of you, owning up to maiming your transmitter like that. The receiver supply voltage feed from D and X series receivers is generally as much telemetry as I want unless the model uses a regulator, then I want battery voltage. Saying that, I am tempted to get a vario for the Cularis. Thin end of the wedge?