FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

Dave, I didn't buy it for the mixing but I've just migrated a Cularis from my FF9 and found the Taranis more flexible for a 4 servo wing electric glider -

FL1 - fast/aerobatic mode with flaps mixed to ailerons, negative camber on the left slider so it gives full span camber change and full span ailerons ailerons

FL2 - thermal mode, as per FL1 but the camber is positive for thermalling

FL3 - landing - left slider gives crow brakes

Plus vario on with a closed throttle and altitude announced on request.

Once you start there's no going back! Now I'm wondering what the Super Chipmunk would be like with crow brakingdevil

Posted by Dave Bran on 06/02/2014 08:32:40:

I have a Taranis on order and a FASST module reserved. I don't expect to need Spektrum ability on the Taranis.

Dave do you have a link to the FASST module for Taranis? I haven't been able to find one.

Bob, have you discovered Sticky T-cut yet?

It baffled me for a while, and I've only tried it on the PC software so far.
By experiment, it seems to be a template that you can add to a model, rather than one that overwrites everything. (Don't take my word for that and mess something up though)

When added, it gives you a throttle cut switch designed for electrics. This is not just any old TC switch, (M&S joke here?) this one cuts the throttle instantly when operated, but when switched back to "enable" the throttle doesn't work unless it's moved to the low position first. Just an extra little safety layer, rather than have the motor burst into life if you happen to forget the throttle stick.

It's a fairly simple use of the programming functions, but does begin to show that we can make it do just what we want, rather than accept what we've been given.

I'm gonna add voice announcements, maybe "Engine disabled" and "Engine enabled" just to annoy the chaps at the field wink

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 06/02/2014 09:58:54:

Dave do you have a link to the FASST module for Taranis? I haven't been able to find one.

It's a RIPMAX item, designed for JR, which is probably why its invisible (don't start me on how they have effectively killed off Hirobo in the UK)

**LINK**

T9 also sell it.

Can I have a link to Sticky-TCut please?

Chris, no, I've not tried that but I have found the custom functions useful for instant trim on maiden flights and safety-ch3 (throttle cut) on all ic models. I guess the throttle cut uses a gvar and toggle to only allow the throttle to switch back on when it's at -100. I'll have a look at it tonight, might be a useful addition on leccys.

It sounds just the job to set up in a 'model' model - a memory you set up with commonly used rates and functions to be copied as a basis for new models. I'm effectively doing that with my Ki61 as it has two ailerons, flaps and retracts so I just copy it and rename for similar ic setups then fine tune for reversing and weights as needed.

Time to play with a copy of an eepe in Companion

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 06/02/2014 11:09:28

My first tentative foray into 2.4 gHz was via a FrSky module and a receiver which plugged into my old Futaba FF7 Super. So presumably any of the FrSky Futaba compatible modules would be a straight plug-in to later Futaba transmitters. It therefore puzzles me why FrSky FASST compatible receivers are popular amongst Futaba users. My module and receiver cost less than £25 and meant all the Frsky receivers were available. Using the right transmitter module (and a display) I guess that would extend even to the telemetry ones.

Why would anyone want to plug a Fasst compatible module into a Taranis? I suppose to use an existing stock of FASST receivers. I can think of no other reason - just curious.

I have an Orange DSMX/2 module for BNF indoor modles (Blade helis) and a FlySky module also for indoor helis (V911) and a quad. All my outdoor models will eventually be FrSky but I'm hanging on to a few 35Mhz Mux DSP type receivers with my 3030 transmitter.

Dave Bran: Did your friend offer any explanation at to why he abandoned his Taranis and Futaba kit and went over to JR? Perhaps he just needed a much higher end transmitter?

Geoff

that sounds like setting cf safety-ch3 (or whatever you use as throttle) on a two position switch, that would lock the channel to -100 or whatever value you choose. I use it on SH (the trainer switch) as a kill switch for ic. Using the momentary switch means that if I catch and flick the switch by accident I don't end up with a deadstick unless it's held on for a second or two. I can see for electric you would want it on a 2 way switch though.

Posted by Dave Bran on 06/02/2014 10:12:12:
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 06/02/2014 09:58:54:

It's a RIPMAX item, designed for JR, which is probably why its invisible (don't start me on how they have effectively killed off Hirobo in the UK)

**LINK**

T9 also sell it.

Can I have a link to Sticky-TCut please?

Would only make sense if you had more than 5 FAAST Rx's otherwise it would be better just to replace them with the telemetry enabled FrSky receivers.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 06/02/2014 12:59:01:

Would only make sense if you had more than 5 FAAST Rx's otherwise it would be better just to replace them with the telemetry enabled FrSky receivers.

Well, that's good then as I have more than 60!!

That module can be bought for under £100 in he UK, significantly less if buying abroad but there you are, it's RIPMAX.

(I told you not to set me off.................)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Taranis for about three months now and I'm finally getting to grips with it. One modification I made was to change the blue backlight LEDs to white. There's a post here on how it's done. I have to say it looks great, I really was not a fan of the blue. I did get a spare display from T9 to do it on so if failed, I would still have a display. It;s damn fiddly to do but so worth it in the end. If you have to heat your soldering iron on a gas ring, I wouldn't recommend it.

I've had my Taranis for 2 weeks now and have been setting up models indoors with a few RX's and servo's and learning how to navigate my way around. I want to set up the instant trim function but can not see how to do this , can some one explain how it's done.

Hi JVR

Instant trim is a Custom Function.

Go into custom functions, choose a switch that you wish to use for instant trim, select Instant Trim as the function and make sure the ON checkbox is checked.

It works really well, up to the limits of trim available.
I'd suggest unchecking the ON box once the model is trimmed, because it's pretty useful at "untrimming" the model too if the switch is hit inadvertently.

I've just suffered the infamous 'loose buttons' on my Taranis. What happens is that you press, say, 'enter' and the button pops back inside the case along with the page up and page down buttons. Apparently it's only an issue on very early production where the moulded 'tree' that the buttons are hung from comes adrift because the plastic welded pips supposed to secure it to the case aren't.

Welded that is.

Simple 15 minute job, case back off, unplug the lower board and remove 5 screws holding it in the case, push the tree back on it's pins with a drop of CA to secure. Leave 5 minutes for fumes from the CA to dissipate (you don't want them confined with your electronics!) then assemble in reverse order. While the back is off, tweak the spring tension.

I've just taken possession of a BlackHorse Macchi MC200 with inner and outer doors on the retractable u/c, I think the mixer slow and delay features will be very useful to set up sequenced doorswink

Glad it was easy to put right Bob, and that they seem to have corrected the issue as soon as they became aware.

Keep us posted about the door sequencing, that sounds interesting.

JVR you'll enjoy the custom functions area, just have a look through the list available. "Play track" and "play value" are fun. e.g. set Play Track to say "High rates" and assign it to the same switch you use to select high servo throws. Play value will speak the value from a telemetry sensor. Set it to do it at timed intervals, or only when you flick a switch.

A CF that I've just found is "Volume" - yes, you can assign one of the knobs (or indeed a switch) to control the speaker volume!

BoltRC??

I'm not yet a Taranis user but, despite buying 6 Hitec receivers in the last year or so, I will most likely end up with this new FRSKY tx as my main controller.

So, what about the online shop BoltRC? A shop that seems to have been set up purely to sell the Taranis (£125 TX only) and it's ancilliaries, even though they show links for plenty of other stock every link shows zero stock.

Hmm, their prices are not too far away from T9's. So I'll probably shop there in stead.

Edited By Chuck Plains on 23/02/2014 12:13:59

If you check in 'about us' at the bottom of the page, BoltRC are in Australia so p&p may not be as good as ordering from Richard at T9.

Other useful custom function is Safety Chx - you can set the throttle channel (eg SafetyCh3) on a switch with -100 to give a throttle lock safety switch. There's also a template for a sticky throttle lock that will only enable throttle if the throttle is closed first. Useful when connecting e-flite batteries and carrying to the filghtline maybe?

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 23/02/2014 12:12:24:

A CF that I've just found is "Volume" - yes, you can assign one of the knobs (or indeed a switch) to control the speaker volume!

Yes, I use one of the rotary knobs as a volume control to avoid annoying people on the flight line with timer messages. Actually, I think they're jealous that my 'cheap and nasty' talks to me

It's amazing that the Taranis is still in such short supply. Especially because I don't think I've ever seen an advert for it anywhere. It seems to be all word of mouth stuff - perhaps not good news for the magazine which relies to some extent on advertising. I feel slightly guilty that I have 2 - only slightly, though.

Geoff