FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

Advert

As a new user/owner of the Frsky Taranis radio I can see this radio getting very popular because of the value and what seams to be a very powerful or versatile menu of functions that can be fed into it, although its a bit of jump for me at the moment, I do think we should have our own section under the heading of Radio Gear as do Futaba, Spektrum ect What do the other user's of Frsky gear think??

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 24/02/2014 20:48:15:

I have just 'pulled the trigger' (as they say in the USA) on a Taranis from T9HobbySport

I will probably get a 2500mAh 8xAA NiMh+ Low self discharge Battery pack from Vapextech, I think that will let me use the built in charger.

**LINK**

As Pat says, the battery compartment is quite tight and will only accept a 6 cell AA pack. I made up my own 2500mAh pack from Vapextech cells and made an adaptor lead so the a normal servo type connector can be used on the battery. I bought a 2S balance connector with wires already attached. I already have a crimp tool so making the adaptor was easy.

After my bad charger experience I always charge the battery externally using my Graupner Ultramat 16 so making the battery connector the same as all my others means I can use the same charge lead. The battery lasts for hours but it's as well to keep checking the voltage on the display because there's a danger of forgetting and letting the warning sound. I like to recharge when it's down to the nominal 7.2v but I've always been paranoid about battery powered equipment from my days as an electronics designer.

I never use the supplied charger with either of my Taranis transmitters. I like to know how much energy has been replenished.

Geoff

I think JVR has a good point about a FrSky folder under the 'Radio Gear' forum section on here **Link** I think FrSky has enough interest to have it's own heading rather than be grouped under 'other'.

Thanks for the info about the battery size, 6 cell AA it is! I think I will make up my own pack with a 2S balance connector adapter.

The radio will probably arrive tomorrow

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 25/02/2014 18:06:12

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 24/02/2014 21:15:36:

I have just been watching the videos from RCModelReviews on YouTube, he does a very good review, I think I am going to be pleased with this

I think I will use the stock battery for a while, a 1500mAh LiFe looks like a possible oprin as well with an adapter cable.

Just that horrible wait for the currier company now!

No need to wait, just go to the local takeaway for your curry!! wink 2

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 25/02/2014 16:36:17:

After my bad charger experience I always charge the battery externally using my Graupner Ultramat 16 so making the battery connector the same as all my others means I can use the same charge lead. The battery lasts for hours but it's as well to keep checking the voltage on the display because there's a danger of forgetting and letting the warning sound. I like to recharge when it's down to the nominal 7.2v but I've always been paranoid about battery powered equipment from my days as an electronics designer.

I never use the supplied charger with either of my Taranis transmitters. I like to know how much energy has been replenished.

Geoff

Geoff, if you always charge externally wouldn't you be better off with either a LiFePo 2 or 3s or a Lipo 2s battery ?

Pat

Edited By PatMc on 25/02/2014 20:13:37

Geoff, if you always charge externally wouldn't you be better off with either a LiFePo 2 or 3s or a Lipo 2s battery ?

Pat

I did buy a suitable 3S LiPo battery which fits but I chickened out of using it. A Nominal 11.1v battery seems a lot higher than a nominal 7.2v one and, considering my earlier problems through being too adventurous, I opted to make a 2500 mAH pack. Still got the LiPo, unused

For my number 2 Taranis that I use for 'real' flying (ie outdoor) I have the two supplied packs so I have a spare in case I need it at the field. In the summer I may put the high capacity pack in my newer (unrepaired by me!) transmitter.

So you're right but I'm nervous

Geoff

You'll have a lot of thoughts like "oh isn't that good" and "I thought manufacturers didn't add that 'cos it wasn't possible" as you go along WF. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

There's a few things to do that might help.

1) In settings set up your preferred channel order, then this order will always be used for a new model.
2) Also in settings set C9X firmware dropdown to "openTx for FrSky Taranis". That seems to do more than just set the firmware that C9X downloads.
3) When you come to "burning" a newly programmed model from the software to the Tx, remember it copies all 60 model memories in that focused window, to the Tx. A sure way to overwrite other models in the Tx if you're not careful.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 25/02/2014 22:36:40:2) Also in settings set C9X firmware dropdown to "openTx for FrSky Taranis". That seems to do more than just set the firmware that C9X downloads.

3) When you come to "burning" a newly programmed model from the software to the Tx, remember it copies all 60 model memories in that focused window, to the Tx. A sure way to overwrite other models in the Tx if you're not careful.

2) it also sets the protocol for upload/download to the tx.

3) the best way I've found is to upload the models from your transmitter alongside the new model and copy/paste the new model to the memory slot on your tx epee, then burn the eepe to the transmitter.

Exactly Bob.

2) also seems to set up the program startup splash screen and which Tx you see in the simulator. Some setup options change too.

3) I agree, the best way to preserve everything in the Tx is to read the EEPROM from Tx, copy or drag the new model into that EEPROM window and save it all back to the Tx. I save a PC copy at this point as a backup. I add the date to the file name.

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 25/02/2014 22:20:48:

I have been working this evening (my new job is with a software company based in Brisbane so I work some odd hours in the UK) so just catching up with the links from Chris and DG3.

I will have to get Companion9x installed, they even have a Mac and Linux version - perfect!

Right, that's it!!! How can I not go for the Taranis if their firmware runs under Linux, as I've been a home Ubuntu user for 6+ years. I'm sold. Can I get a Hitec module for the Taranis yet? That would be the icing on the cake as I have 6 Hitec RXes.

C9X works perfect for me under ubuntu. Must be running linux for almost 20 years now. No looking back! Might be worth considering selling your Hitec Rx's and using that to fund full telemetry capable receivers that have very nice specs. I have bought most Frsky Rx's on HK for good prices.