FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

Got it now. Thanks Chris. I didn't notice that insignificant tick box about the wizard on the 'Preferences' menu when I first played with C9X. I do tend to set my models up on the transmitter usually but that feature looks like it might help.

Geoff

Advert

I haven't got a taranis but was interested to load companion 9x for a look around, I've got revision 2381, but it tells me theres a newer version 2940, when i say yes to download it, I get the file name opentx-taranis-en to save in companion9x, but then when I say save and replace it tells me access is denied, arghhhhh.

Frank, have you got Win 7 or 8? If so it will not let you access program directories to save files unless you are running admin. I think you can set Companion preferences to use a different folder for backups, eepes etc. Create a taranis folder in your 'My Documents' folder and point Companion preferences to that.

Taranis Ver B is now available. This has improved sliders and a 2000mAh battery as standard.

I've been trying the new sliders (also available) in mine, and if you use them, this is a very worthwhile upgrade.
Nicely damped with a positive centre, they now feel much more like the knobs.

Just so we can tell the difference.
Here's the old slider.
img_3109.jpg

Here's the new one
img_3498-001.jpg

And what an improvement! I really thought the original sliders on my early import Tx were ok, but the new sliders do feel like much higher quality items.

The only thing I'd like to do now is swap the 3 position switch in the 'gear' location(SG) with the 2 position one top rear on the left, SA. After donkey's years flying Futaba I'm just in the habit now of reaching top right for retracts and a 3 position is wasted there. I really should have checked if the switch harnesses are long enough to just swap them while I had the back off. I suspect I'll need to extend the wiring to reach their original plugs from the new locations so as not to confuse the software.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 04/04/2014 15:59:55

Posted by Mart49 on 04/04/2014 16:44:39:

A quick question, if I may..

I'm considering the Taranis and I have 4 of the FrSky Delta 8 multi-protocol rx's installed in my planes. I'm wondering if they'd be compatible with the Tx?

Thaks

T9Hobbysport have the Delta 8 listed as compatible with FrSky 2 way series 'D' modules.

Taranis can be set up to transmit in both D8 and D16 modes, so I believe so.

A quick call to T9 might confirm this though.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 04/04/2014 17:03:15

Posted by Mart49 on 04/04/2014 16:44:39:

A quick question, if I may..

I'm considering the Taranis and I have 4 of the FrSky Delta 8 multi-protocol rx's installed in my planes. I'm wondering if they'd be compatible with the Tx?

Thaks

In the wrong forum for that sort of info...............

**LINK**

Posted by RichFR on 04/04/2014 16:45:01:

You could use the middle for retracts only and lower for retracts and flaps? Save going for 2 switches. smiley
Could have flaps on another switch as well if you want them with gear up.

Hmm, do you really want single position flaps? I usually have flaps on LH slider so I can play with differing amounts on base leg. A positive take on the current setup is that a 3 position retract switch does provide a little bit of safety in that the middle position can be set up not to activate electric retracts either way, so it's less easy to accidentally knock a switch and watch your model sink not so gracefully to it's knees.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received my spektrum module and V8FR-II receiver. I have spent a few hours working on both and have a couple of questions.

The ports on the Orange rx do not match the transmitter function i.e. throttle servo is plugged into elevator port. Is this correct???

Also I have programmed in channel 7 on the V8 for the flaps; but is there a facility to induce servo slow?

I have ploughed through many a YouTube video and cannot find the answer.

Regards.

well Spicey, it's all dependent on what channel you associate with which stick. You set up the default order in the radio menu but you can change it for any model in the mixes menu by changing the source for each channel. I'm guessing you have it defaulting to aetr, and the Orange rx is marked ATER or similar? 

I was going to say it doesn't matter whether you use the AETR or ATER sequence but it may depend on how the receiver failsafe works.  If it's only on channel 2 on the receiver you would be best to change the channel assignment in mixes.  Go into Edit for each channel on the Mix screen and change the Source to get the right order.

As for the flaps, if you are using Companion select the channel in the Mix tab, near the bottom of the edit screen are boxes to enter Delay and Slow values. Delay will - err- delay the servo movement after you move the source switch or slider, Slow will set how long it takes for the servo to move from one extreme to the other.

Programming through the transmitter again select model,mix, channel and in the edit screen delay and slow are on the lower right of the screen.

Both delay and slow have Up and Down values. Very useful - on the Macchi I'm programming the inner wheel well door servos with no delay down so that they open quickly to let the wheel extend, but a 6 second delay on up to allow the wheel to retract before the door closes. Another use of slow and delay would be on flap>elevator compensation where you might want the elevator coming in first to get the nose down before the flaps take effect.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 18/04/2014 09:18:35

If you are using the Orange Tx module then you can reasign the channel sequence in the module by reflashing the module (parts, info and software on HK site under info tab for module). This needs to be done as if you use the cheaper Rx with failsafe only on the throttle then it will consequently not be on that channel without the reflashing.

I've not played with my Taranise that much but maybe the channels can be reasigned in the Tx prog.

Have you done a search on the 'Openrcforum' **LINK** I'm sure i've seen something relating to using these modules.

HTH

The fact that the channel order isn't fixed is one of the first, very pleasant, surprises about Taranis.

Many times I've been frustrated by the fixed AETR order. If you have something as basic as a two aileron wing you end up with ailerons on channels 1 and 5 - annoying. Now using RETA - ah - the lovely RETA, smashing girl smile - I can have my two ailerons next to each other on the Rx which appeals to my slightly OCD tendencies were wiring is concerned!

BEB

Posted by Spice Cat on 18/04/2014 08:50:50:

I have just received my spektrum module and V8FR-II receiver. I have spent a few hours working on both and have a couple of questions.

The ports on the Orange rx do not match the transmitter function i.e. throttle servo is plugged into elevator port. Is this correct???

Also I have programmed in channel 7 on the V8 for the flaps; but is there a facility to induce servo slow?

I have ploughed through many a YouTube video and cannot find the answer.

Regards.

I use an Orange module for B'n'F models (actually limited to a Vapor right now). It's just a matter of reassigning the channels in the Taranis to suit the Spektrum designations. I have a saved model called 'Spektrum' which does just that.

Normally I use the Futaba AETR for channels 1 through 4 simply because my first radio was a Futaba Challenger and my seconf a FF7Super but any order is possible.

Geoff