FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

lot's of it moving horizontally though!  I did have a home-made vario unit based on one that appeared on RCG, it was a bit crude but did show promise.  It really needed the software refining a bit more but as there are ready made units available now I might give one of those a try when H9 get the add-on A2 analogue adapters boards in (X8R2Analogue).

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/12/2013 14:34:22

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 23/12/2013 14:21:51:

Hi Geoff, that's very honest of you, owning up to maiming your transmitter like that. The receiver supply voltage feed from D and X series receivers is generally as much telemetry as I want unless the model uses a regulator, then I want battery voltage. Saying that, I am tempted to get a vario for the Cularis. Thin end of the wedge?

Well, I needed the help I got from RCMF members and openrcforums smiley I'm a retired electronics design engineer and I like to know how much energy I'm putting into a battery when I charge it. At the time it seemed a good idea but when I found it wasn't I tried to warn others.

Flight battery voltage is worth knowing in an electric model but I find I usually land well before the danger level for a LiPo. That's 8 to 10 minutes with my Riot, Fun Cub, Acrowot FoamE etc and a lot more with the Blizzard. I think RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indication) might be more useful, particularly in gliders when at altitude or, of course, in case of problems.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

I know exactly how you feel ! lost a cracking leo due a cell packing up. I now fit two packs with diodes fitted in the harness for a back up . Fortunately my Leo was in a knife edge when it went dead so I only had to go a couple of hundred feet into a nearby field to collect the wreckage sad .Had it been in level flight it would probably gone on for miles

• 2 weeks later...

I am seriously thinking about getting a Taranis have been reading about them most of the day.
Whatever I buy its a big learning curve for me not just programming/setting up the TX actually learning what it does in reality (I am new to RC flying) Duel rates and Expo is all I change at the moment.
I like the telemetry too.

Might wait a few weeks see if there is any sign of the Plus versions turning up that mush rain here at the moment cant fly anyway frown

Edited By RichFR on 17/01/2014 18:46:17

Edited By RichFR on 17/01/2014 18:46:43

Are Taranis transmitters any easier to get than they were a few months ago?

Certainly waiting is sensible if you can't get out flying but you could always use the time to get familiar with the programming. After my little contretemps I bought a second Taranis and I use the one I repaired for indoor flying and the other for more serious stuff. If the wait time for a newer version is anything like the wait for the current one then I would think it's not likely to be available in the next few months.

Another useful option is to download Companion9x which simulates the Taranis and will allow you to become familiar with its programming quirks. It's a free download and available from openrcforums.

http://openrcforums.com/forum

Geoff

Thanks Geoff I had downloaded the Companion software but have only had a quick look. I imagine it looks worse than it is. Loads of tutorials on YouTube to get me going. As I said am learning from the beginning what everything does regardless of the type of TX.
I will be using it on a Bixler 2 at first so will get to play with flap adjustment and maybe mixes for them too.
Do people share their profiles for particular planes too? I know they would need some adjusting but maybe a starting point.

When I first looked at least one place had them in stock but they are all sold out now so maybe hard to get hold of. I did read something about FrSky building a new factory that should be open early this year that will speed production up.

Posted by Ian Jones on 19/01/2014 12:34:39:

Andy... are you using the stock firmware or have you installed one of the open source ones?

Just had a quick look at the online manual and the built in features look quite extensive.

Ian

I did download some later firmware from openrcforums but it doesn't seem any different from that supplied by FrSky except for the startup picture.

I've also downloaded and printed about 3 manuals from a variety of sources which offer some help with the various programming options. In the end, there's no substitute for experimenting with a real model in the workshop before flying to try it out.

My only gripe with the Taranis is its physical layout and that grip would apply to any conventional transmitter is how close together the control sticks are. I've been using a Multiplex 3030 for years and I like the sense of space I get with this bigger layout. This wouldn't affect 90% of users but my right hand doesn't work as well as it might because of a spinal chord injury and I find the bigger transmitter more comfortable. I'm getting used to it though.

Geoff

As I undertstand it, Taranis plus is due to have a few extras like improved sliders, haptic (vibration) feedback and a six position switch in place of one of the pots.

These improvements should also be available as spares that we can add to the original Taranis.

Horus is a different transmitter, have a search on google for frsky Horus, and look for pictures. It seems that there is more than one layout option that Frsky have (or had) to choose from. From all accounts this could be some way off.

Chris, the April date for Horus is mentioned in the Frsky forum by FlyingAllen. He's is one of the mods that I assume work for Frsky.
However, remembering the time it took for Taranis to emerge after the promised date, I'd reckon on some time from July/August on to be more realistic.

Where did you get the info on the Taranis Plus ? I don't like the original sliders & would definitely change them if something better was available.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 05/02/2014 23:38:03:

Well, after an entire R/C career on Futaba I've taken the leap and ordered a Taranis yesterday. It certainly looks both interesting and powerful - looking forward to "getting to grips" with it.

BEB

As have I, also mainly Futaba, but currently using Futaba FASST for outdoors and Spektrum DSM2 indoors (with only tiny overlap).

I have a Taranis on order and a FASST module reserved. I don't expect to need Spektrum ability on the Taranis.

I will continue to use my 10CG (with a mix of Futaba and FRSky Rx's) for the expensive stuff for now.

I have no idea how much mixing ability I will use on it, as I fly Planes and Helis on the principle that you have sticks for a reason. All I use with the 10CG is flapperon/spoileron and elevator to aileron coupling. I never use and knife edge mixes, for example.

I have downloaded and installed the software and pretty much all available things like icons/screens/model .eepe and other files and have been playing with the simulated Tx to gain some advance knowledge.

Incidentally, someone I know who up to only weeks ago was promoting how good Taranis is has just sold all his and all his Futaba and gone to JR....................

Mine should be here tomorrow smiley shame the rain/wind will keep me grounded.
I ended up ordering one from Belgium as they had them in stock it also comes with a 2Ah NIMH battery pack and has had the in built charge circuit altered so it fully charges from the TX.