FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

Posted by Andrew Ray on 26/02/2014 19:13:01:
Posted by DG3 on 26/02/2014 19:06:36:

. I have bought most Frsky Rx's on HK for good prices.

If you're in the UK Richard at T9 is no more than HK prices and he was one of the original Premier Dealers and you get UK legislation to protect you. I have bought all my FrSky stuff from him and have been very pleased with the service.

I got my Taranis from T9. Shipping to Ireland was a whopping £27.60! Even to send small items is expensive. In some cases I can get small stuff shipped from Hong Kong to IRL for less than shipping from the UK. I have no loyalties in this business. Give me your best price and you get my business. I am willing to sacrifice whatever protection UK leglisation might afford me to save some cash.

By way of receiver price comparison...

D8R-II $24 on HK, $37 at T9

FrSky D4R-II is $20 on HK, $32 at T9

Advert

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 26/02/2014 19:16:37:

Chuck - There is a Hitec module but at around £45 it is probably not bothering for 6 RX's

**LINK**

I would start off with one FrSky RX and add more as you need them. That is what I am going g to do.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 26/02/2014 19:17:24

The thing that attracted me to Hitec was their Minima RXes. Tiny weight and their claim to full range is totally correct. But what I want from the Taranis is the model memories, extra channels and all the function mixing I could ever want for my gliders. I'll have to have more RXes if I want to use more than 6 channels anyway, so I will be buying more as necessary. Plus I'll be needing a Spekky module too for micro indoor fliers.

I hadn't realised that the Hitec module was available. I have about 10 models already fitted with either Optima 6 or 7 receivers. It would be great to be able to fly all my models just using the Taranis. Does anybody know how many channels the module supports? I have a couple of X8R receivers for my 'in progress' models and will use those in future but this looks just the job for the others.

Thanks, but I didn't have any modules, so bought the JR to Futaba FASST module as recommended by T9, and though it was missed out of the package, it has now been sent, so might turn up today.

While that is happening, I have overnight put an X6R into a (up till now left on 35MHz) EPP delta elevon controlled wing, bound it, set it up with triple rates, and it is ready when the mist lifts to take to the field for range check and first Taranis controlled flight.

AND............as a test of myself as much as anything, I didn't use the PC software, just the Tx, and did it without recourse to manual or help files or videos.

Next I will set up my Blaze with flapperon/spoileron, and of course V tail.......and a bit more telemetry than so far..........lets see how far I get "unaided"!!wink 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read the review of the Taranis in the latest issue (April) of RCME written by Chris Bott with interest. I've had my Taranis a while now but it's always useful to see what more I can learn because I guess I've only scratched the surface of the many features.

One thing puzzled me. On page 31 there's a diagram of a simple fixed wing aeroplane which claims to be part of the PC programming facility. I have the latest version of Companion9x and I can't find it there. I've also downloaded several versions of the manual - each one similar to the others but still slightly different and with different bits of data. There doesn't seem to be a very thorough and exhaustive manual anywhere. However, that particular diagram aided programming facility isn't in any of them.

I know Chris appears here a lot, perhaps he can tell me where it is to be found. It looks to be a useful feature.

Thanks,

Geoff

Hi Geoff

I'm afraid one or two of the captions got a little lost in translation, however that page is there in Companion9X.
It's the model wizard

First of all, make sure C9X is configured for the Taranis. This is done in "Setup". Set the dropdown choice of firmware to openTx for FrSky Taranis. This actually affects all of the software and makes it the Taranis version.

Next, still in "setup" tick the checkbox near the top that says "Ask use of wizzard for new models"

OK. Go back to the main software. Open an EEPE file (a window of 60 model memories) or click File then New.

Double click on any unused model memory, and the Wizard should open.

Hope that helps?
Cheers
Chris