FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

After many hours a small success today. Managed to revert back to the Original FROS.

Bound it an X8R Receiver and once again no PWM outputs.

Re flashed the Rx with a slightly older Firmware and the system now looks like it's operating normally

Next step is to update to OpenTX 2.3.2 as I had before I'll steer clear of the 2.3.2 update for now as I'm convinced this is the cause of the original problem

Advert

After a lot of effort and frustration I think I've managed to recover my Horus X12S back to OpenTX successfully, just have to put my Models, custom sounds and Model Images back on. To cut a long story short I flashed FRSKY OS back to the Transmitter then installed the last known good OpenTX version V2.2.4 again.

I would like to thank everybody who contributed their help and advise it was very much appreciated.

Hi all

More info re my binding issues..

x9d se plus 2019

open tx 2.3

isrm1.1.3 firmware

rc is rx8rpro, flashed to non EU.

From banggood not only because it was cheaper but largely because it was available immediately. Did not think it would be an issue due to the ability to flash to EU/Non EU.... And I never said i expected T9 to look at it free of charge.....

GG

P.S.

GG: Sorry for the delay, the topic vanished off the front page before I realised you'd posted an update.

If you are using ACCESS, the binding procedure is somewhat different from before, and there is a good guide here: ACCESS binding

If this doesn't work, it maybe because we don't actually know what firmware is in your Tx! We're assuming its non-EU, but we don't know for sure. Be aware that the firmware for the RF board has nothing to do with OpenTx or FrOS. OpenTx is the bit which governs the encoder functions (model memories, stick modes, etc) The RF board firmware controls - er - the RF board (D16, ACCESS, etc).

I would recommend that you flash the Tx RF board AND Rx to a common standard so that you know that everything is the same. Unless you have good reason not to, I would recommend using the EU firmware, as this is well proven and reliable.

Now I have no experience with ACCESS, but the more recent versions of OpenTx can flash the Tx RF module from OpenTx itself, without having to worry about connecting to a PC. The process is dead easy and there is a guide here: Flash RF module

You can also flash receivers from the Taranis, using a special lead connected to the module bay: Rx update

I note that you've already flashed the receiver, so you probably know how to do this anyway, but you can also do it over-the-air with receivers using the ACCESS protocol, but I haven't seen a guide for this yet.

One final warning: Just make doubly sure that you have not only the right firmware for both your Tx and Rx, but that the two MATCH! (EU, non-EU, ACCESS capable, etc)

Hope this helps!

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 25/11/2019 10:20:03

On the X9Lite with the ACCESS module, the EU/non-EU mode is set simply by running a script to change the mode, the module doesn't need re-flashing. You may need to enquire about getting a script to run on your Tx.

My understanding of the ACCESS protocol is the Rx (running ACCESS of course) automatically detect the EU/non-EU mode when binding.

Mike

Thanks for that update, Mike! There's not a lot of info out there yet on ACCESS.

I see FrSky are advertising upgrade RF boards for the X10(S), but the pdf manual doesn't reveal much at all - nor is there any sign of them being in stock anywhere yet.

Also, having just bought an RX8R-Pro myself, the sticker on it says EU-LBT (got it from T9). The instructions say default is D16 and that D8 can be used by jumping pins during bind. It bound instantly in D16 mode.

I wonder if GG has a non-ACCESS Rx and is trying to bind it to an ACCESS Tx? He says he's flashed the receiver, but not which firmware he used.

Too many variables to offer an accurate remote diagnosis!

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 25/11/2019 11:42:51

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 21/11/2019 11:30:31:

From what I've read (mostly relating to the Horus rather than Taranis) the RF firmware is common to both EU and ROW, but only dealers can switch between the two. As Peter says, more info is needed. An X series receiver with ROW firmware should bind in ACCST mode (D16), D or V series will not bind, though Mike Blandford has written software to run D series receivers in D16 mode.

not to put too fine a point on it, this was stated days ago.

Mike, interesting that you have the region switching script, I thought it was for dealers only?

So.................. this morning I tried (for what feels like the hundredth time) to bind my X9D 2019 SE+ to my RX8R.............. it just worked!

I don't think I did anything different to the previous times so I sense further frustration ahead Anyway, now to bung it in my UltraStik 60 and actually enjoy it !

Thanks for the help and comments - I now know my Tx is ROW so will need to make sure I buy ROW Rx's or flash them; until or unless FRSky add firmware to flash my internal module to EU.

GG

Glad you got it sorted!

See Mike's post above about switching to EU. It sounds as if the new RF module has both, and just needs a script running to switch. I know he's talking about an X9Lite, but I can't believe they would be using a different RF module in different Txs. It would push the cost of compliance testing too high!

--

Pete

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If I update my early Taranis X9D(pre plus) from 2.0.13 to the latest 2.3.5 will I loose the LR12 protocol for my L9R receivers? I've updated the JP 4in1 multi protocol plug in TX module and this protocol does not appear to be there so I would prefer not to loose it off of the internal protocols on my Taranis. All RF is pre LBT.

Gonzo: Just to clarify - its the firmware update to the X series receivers that appears to disable D8 mode, not updating OpenTx. And this only applies to the latest firmware update that is covered in this thread:

**LINK**

MikeB is the expert on this. I don't know if its possible that a future update may restore D8 back-compatibility. Basically there is a limited amount of memory available for the firmware. In the past that has been sufficient to support two protocols. I'm guessing that the major update means that there is now only space for one. Its also possible that a future update may restore D8.

Of course, it could also be that FrSky are trying to "phase out" D8 - I have no inside information on this. However, it *could* be that since they have introduced their new Access protocol, they are trying to ditch the legacy ones. Only time will tell!

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 26/01/2020 13:37:31

I've updated a X9D and a X9D+ to the new (v2.0.1) firmware together with a X8R.

Both bind OK to a D8 receiver. The X8R, in D8 mode, does not bind to either Tx, nor to a DJT nor to a XJT module with pre 2.0.1 firmware.

FrSky informed me that, as D8 mode is no longer legal in Europe for new products, they are phasing D8 out, which is why the X8R, with 2.0.1, does not bind in D8 mode.

Mike

Mike: I don't think D8 *receivers* are a problem, legally speaking. Bearing in mind that the LBT requirement only applies if the MUF is over 10%. The erp of the receiver telemetry signal will almost certainly be below 100mW - 60mW absolute top, I would guess - and the telemetry signal is only transmitted for a small period of the "frame", I would be surprised if the MUF of the receivers exceeded the 10% limit.

Yes, D8 transmitters don't meet the current legislation, but I would be surprised if there was a legal problem with the receivers.

--

Pete

Thanks for the replies and information. I'm just trying to ascertain if I can safely update my Taranis X9D to OpenTx 2.3.5 from 2.0.13(I know its old but it worked for me. Don't fix what isn't broke) without compromising/loosing any legacy facilities(internal protocols like LH12 etc) and the ability to accept old external modules like DJT, XJT, Futaba FASST(Robbe 12ch version), ImmersionRC 433mHz, and OrangeRx. I also don't want to flash Rx's(there's lots of them) if at all possible. This would then hopefully allow me to use the recently acquired TP 4in1 multi protocol module(updated to 1.3.0.53) in place of a bag of different modules.

Edited By GONZO on 26/01/2020 16:47:50