Hotliner suggestions

I feel the need for a hotliner. I know there have been some threads on this subject but thought I'd see what the current state of play is with the world of hotliners.

Blaze and Blizzard - been there, done them.

Something moulded? Perhaps something like the Great Planes Siren?

What's hot in the hotliner world?

Suggestions would be appreciated thumbs up

Advert

David,

The foamies are much lower down the food chain than any of the following.......

I have a Siren, and it's a nicely presented piece of kit. Very smooth. BUT it's no hotliner, with it's 3-piece, built-up balsa wing so I'm wary of pulling too many G's in flight.

Other problems are that you need to remove the wing to fit/connect the cell pack, as there's no nose hatch. Battery space is very limited (even if you remove the pre-fitted tray) - the biggest pack I can fit is a re-configured 3S 4000 unit. To get 4S in there, you'll probably need to use 2 x 2S in series.

There's a long-running review and thread on RC Groups;

**LINK**

img_2340small.jpg

Other than that I've picked up a couple of used bargains over the years - one is an old Simprop Rabbit from a swop meet for £25. Sold in the bad old days of S600 brushed motors, mine now sports a HET inrunner up front. Again space in the nose is very cramped, so I cut the nose off, lengthened it by 50mm and fitted a hatch. Yes, I ave to remove the wing to fit the 4S 2350 pack, but at least I can connect it to the ESC through the hatch.

To cope with the 1000+ watts I glassed the wing top and bottom.

57 and 2 1/2 AUW

The other machine in my armoury is a truly scary Simprop Lift Off. There's an old geared Kontronik inrunner up, generating some 2000 watts from a 5S pack. Again I've glassed the wing.

However, in my opinion the very best offering out there is the FVK Bandit.I've had no less than four of them....

**LINK**

Not only does it feature a nose hatch, it'll accept a 4S 4000 cell pack too.

Here's a video of one with a cheap Turnigy outrunner up front.

**LINK**

Hope this helps!

tim

Im far from an expert, but I've just ordered a Blejzyk glider from Flying Dog. Most of their gliders can be ordered with an electric nose if you speak to Rob, There are hot configurations for gliders and purpose designed hotliners available. I've ordered and am eagerly awaiting my kit.

Having hunted long and hard for a suitable glider, the prices seem keen, and my forum research suggests that the quality is good. I'll post a thread when my box arrives.. Hopefully later this week.

+ 1 for E-typhoon, or maybe even an Alex F5B (sometimes refered to as an "Enigma" on US sites) from Acemodel.co.uk.

Please note, I'm not affliated to this organisation, but I did buy one of these a few years back (and still regularly fly on 4s - Could go larger on the battery but don't see the need) and it goes like stink!

Blizzard and others are in my view "warmliners".

Edited By Simon K 3 on 11/09/2013 14:01:49

Gentlemen,

The Pichler Hi-speed standard setup will not do the published speed. I plan to try some different props to try and make it go faster. I have heard mention of a 4S setup but do not know the full spec. Going away from the hotliner, what about the Pogo, it has speed, is easy to see due to its size and the recommended setup gives plenty of speed, but be ready on the rudder for take-offs and do greaser landings otherwise you just bounce and bounce. One thing it does very well is fly like its on rails and I had no problems pulling G's.

Mark

I think the reason why mainstream manufacturing does not make a proper hotliner is that it really does require a moulded airframe if you are to fly it like a hotliner, so i don't think they can be bothered and why would you not want to thermal it a tad if you want to, fly it like a maniac for 5 mins then take a break up high for a few mins let everything cool down and do it all again!! David do not scrimp on your hotliner you will only regret it, put your hand in your pocket and do it properly!!! The reason why i would go with the typhoon is the aerobatics she can do as well, the versatility of the airframe is better than any other airframe mentioned here, yeah she is the most expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for!

Posted by Chris P. Bacon on 12/09/2013 08:52:41:

Hotliners, like all consumer products go in and out of fashion.

Really? The concept of Hotliners has been around for nearly 25 years and they are still extremely popular today. I fail to see how that classifies them as being a fashionable class of model.

I don't read Chris P. Bacon's reply as suggesting that hotliners are unfashionable, Bill. More that individual models are the 'best thing since sliced bread' until the 'new kid on the block' appears and kicks them off the 'best-sellers' listsmile

The ones that cut the mustard stand the test of time, though.

Pete

Hotliners may indeed have been about for 25 years - but CPB is right I think, in the sense that their popularly (like any type of model) waxes and wanes. There will always be the die-hard dedicted few that always fly any particular genre of model - but they are suplemented (or not!) from time to time as the numbers swell amd dwindle. We do seem to be going through a bit of a "hotliner phase" at the moment. Doubtless it will decrease and then it will come back again. Such is modelling life!

BEB

hotliners have been around for some time but lets face it the technology to make a really good one and the kit to power it has not, that is probably why they are popular at the min, not sure why you would think the typhoon is fragile! mine certainly is not! maybe others are not treating theres very well??

my criteria when i purchased mine was this

1, had to be of use on the slope and flat field

2, had to be quick and strong

3 had to be moulded as i did not want it looking tatty after 12 months and to withstand the g forces

4, had to be aerobatic no v tail or t tail

5, had to be about £500 all in

after seeing Andys fly for nearly a year, it really was a no brainer, one of the best all round machines out there!!

TYPHOON!!

What I was trying to say is that a particular make/model of model aircraft becomes very popular for a time. Then gets neglected then, sometimes, comes back into fashion for some reason (Wot 4, Panic, Breeze, Bullet, etc.)

I was not saying that Hotliners are out of fashion.

The Sprinter was well regarded about 8 years ago, I was reminding people that it is still available.