Hotliner suggestions

Have a look at the Blejzyk web site some nice models there or will be if they ever get around to producing build instructions. I have just finished a Tom, but not as a hotliner more as a warmliner. As this was my first build of a foam wing/ fibreglass fuselage model the lack of instructions slowed the build.

Advert

The Sprinter is indeed a nice model - although like the rest it does have its limitations.

I built one for a friend some years back, and its chief failing is its short nose. Even with a strip-wood tailplane, and under-sized elevator servo, the NiMH pack had to be pushed right up to the rear of the motor to get it to balance.

I would imagine that the situation would be even worse if using a li-po pack.

tim

Posted by Lee Smalley on 13/09/2013 08:25:59:

yeah thats the one BEB ...........its an age thing folks !!! this is my slope version, David has pictures of my E Typhoon somewhere!!

typhoon1.jpg

Edited By Lee Smalley on 13/09/2013 08:27:02

You don't call that "stick insect" an aeroplane surely? wink 2 BBC was right in one respect - they've gotta have curves man!

BEB

That's good. My wot 4 is a glider too. Has an ic self launch motor. Probably quieter than that glider too.

In the same vein, I was in a stable yesterday and I saw the smallest horse I've ever seen, just over a foot long, pointy nose with whiskers and a long tail, the trainer had no saddles to fit him though. wink

Sorry to thread burgle!!!!!!!

Just to makes things a bit clearer, here's an extract from Wikipedia:

"A glider is a heavier-than-air aircraft that is supported in flight by the dynamic reaction of the air against its lifting surfaces, and whose free flight does not depend on an engine.[1] Mostly these types of aircraft are intended for routine operation without engines, though engine failure can force other types of aircraft to become gliders. Some gliders have engines for extending their flight, and some have engines powerful enough to launch into the air".

Therefore the word 'Glider' can cover a multitude of aircraft types.

Bill, we're on a loser here, the fai define them as powered gliders but an aircraft that can perform in the manner of that plane in the video is a power plane to me, nothing that can be said will convince me otherwise.

I have a radian and a radian pro and whilst electrically powered at launch I use the power to get to a height and then glide around. I guess they'd fall into "my" idea of a powered glider.

At what stage does the concept morph into an aircraft with a power to weight ratio approaching that of an fai pylon racer?

I'll stop now as I'm miles off topic and I've no wish to offend bona fide glider guiders.

Everything the model in the video was performing could be done with the same or a similar model without any power on many slope sites with a decent breeze.
In the vid the power appeared to only be on for short bursts at a time. A Wot4 certainly wouldn't have been able to put up anything close to the performance without having full or near full power most of the flight.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ok guys falling asleep now keep on thread eh !!

despite the semantics about gliders, yes the bandit is cheaper, is it half the fun of the typhoon i am not sure, but to be honest i am not sure the bandit would cope with the g that we pull on the typhoon, and thats half the fun of a hot liner, come in screaming from as high as you can power off then pull a full elevator square loop, its just the best, i would fear the foam wing and steel joiner on the bandit might give way.... but maybe not eh!

yeah its a bit of money David but as the review on the E flight Albertross sometimes you get what you pay for, bite the bullet, pays your money and enjoy. you know its the proper thing to do !!!

servos i used savox 255 in mine but to be honest i would not recommend them especially on the flaps, the centring is a bit poor, personally i would look at something else for the flaps MKS if i had the money!!

remember to use a carbon rx or as i have a carbon rx satellite as the more modern fuselages have lots of carbon re-enforcement in the nose area,

for me the choice was easy as the typhoon, whilst quite expensive comes with an electric fus and a slope fus, for 85 quid, so it enabled me to make sure the model gets lots of airtime either at the Orme or on the flat field as a result my investment was not a wasted one! nothing worse than spending 500 quid and having it sat there collecting dust.