Positive press news for quads/drones

PMIKEY

• 4 months later...
Advert

Multi-Rotors are being used by the media all the time now but just one thing chaps......on behalf of just about everybody in the industry......can you please stop using the term "drone"?

UAV = unmanned aerial vehicle (UAS = the system, in other words aircraft + ground station)........RPAV/RPAS are also becoming more widely used, anything but NOT drone!!! The term Drone dates back the the 1930's and was affiliated with a target drone called th Queen Bee......needless to say that technology has moved on a tad since then.

The facts are that UAV's are piloted or under pilot control, even when flying Waypoint Missions......which I hasten to add is no different than an aircraft flying on autopilot in reality.......Terminator and Skynet are fantasy, it was a movie but we are having problems getting this accross to the media, who are to blame for the widespread use of the term "drone".......how ironic given my first paragraph?

Sorry Scott but I don't think your objections to the term is made with strictly correct conventions.

The term UAV applies to both remote controlled aircraft as well as manual controlled. The dictionary also calls these aircraft "drones", irrespective of whether they are pilot or pilot-less.

The term drone was first said to apply to the Queen Bee but was applied historically to it as a direct reference to the name "Queen Bee" after the US Navy adopted the term to describe how a machine did what it was told and worked till told to stop.

(we study this subject as part of Air Power lectures and dissertations in the RAF)

A drone is a drone and it always will be. It describes an aircraft that is not manned and, technically, applies to both UAV's and missiles.

I also saw the Womens Freestyle snow boarding and spotted the drone cameras.  Very impressed with both the piloting skills as well as the pictures obtained.  Sometimes the shots that these things can get are amazing.

Edited By John F on 10/02/2014 15:02:11

Posted by Tony Read 2 on 10/02/2014 13:56:04:

Yes, I first noticed the olympic multi rotors being used when watching the womens snow boarding.......

I thought they were remotely controlled cams suspended on wires above the course.

Using a quad copter/drone/uav/multi rotor (delete as applicable )above the competing athletes would be a somewhat risky process to say the very least.

Well this is what has just happened in France. The article doesn't say what size of 'Drone' was involved but I think it must have been of a decent size to carry commercial quality equipment.

Note the reference to needing a ULM (Microlight) licence but even then there are the restrictions like those of the CAA in the UK. Also in France there have stricter privacy laws which also extend to public places - French Presidents riding scooters to see a 'friend' excepted of course!

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

You could use a heli for that flying e-shocker and you could fly a normal model aircraft in a dumb way around French monuments.

More positive press here **LINK**

For those who don't know that was Trappy fro Team Black sheep.

See what happens when you make people into black sheep haha cheeky

I wouldn't say the last was positive press, basically it showed that the FAA hadn't done their homework with regards to UAVs, the unfortunate side effect of this is that they will probably push for even more draconian legislation, and knowing the US unless you have a very powerful organisation behind you it will come into force.

I was in a coffee shop earlier today and in the Sunday Times "driving and technology" section and a review of 4 multirotors which come complete with cameras, (DJI Phantom, Buzzflyer etc). The small box that went with it said they aren't hard to fly and if you get stuck just hit the hold or return to home function. They only point they made was that if you crash into anyone/anything then you are liable and recommended joining BMFA to get insurance!.

Write to the Sunday Times and tell them they have it all wrong.

The positive I was highlighting was that the obsessive hounding of Trappy might be over now and about time. If they get their act together and work some ruling out that's fine.

If they push for more legislation I hope they can convince people to follow it like speed limits on the motorway wink

The states is a bigger monster to control than here in my opinion.

not good news ...

BBC reporting a story from Australia where a 'drone with 4 engines' (quad copter?) was used to deliver drugs into the grounds of a prison. The pilot was found in a car nearby.

As time goes by only imagination will limit the uses, both good and bad, to which these devices are put to.

Posted by avtur on 10/03/2014 13:12:35:

not good news ...

BBC reporting a story from Australia where a 'drone with 4 engines' (quad copter?) was used to deliver drugs into the grounds of a prison. The pilot was found in a car nearby.

As time goes by only imagination will limit the uses, both good and bad, to which these devices are put to.

Point taken, however on the other hand they could have just as well used a fixed wing model to do the same thing. Perhaps it's just that quads, drones or whatever term people like to use at present just happen to be "flavour of the month".

I saw that article in the Sunday Times as well. Will the BMFA suddenly get applications from people with no interest at all in model flying but have just bought themselves a Drone/UAV ? (BTW I don't want to get involved in the semantics of what camera equipped quadcopters are called). Casual mention of the BMFA for purely insurance purposes did concern me a bit. I imagine the Drone/AUV buyer getting BMFA News and handbooks through the post and throwing them straight into the bin. You never know though, it may spark an interest in some other aspect of model flying and I suppose you could argue that the new joiners would swell BMFA coffers. I wonder if as the price of these quads comes down they will be next Xmas must-have pressie and get a bad name when people use them to spy on their neighbours? Maybe the BMFA would get claims when the quads hit people, cars or damage property, its a minefield and could invite regulation. Must try to be more positive though. Lastly what does 'Trappy' mean?