One wheel on my wagon

Spice Cat

I decided to take my Tiger Moth to the field today. It is a refurbished JP 78" wingspan model of some years on the clock.

She was maidened in November last year by one of the best fliers in the club and after that I swore to fit her out in the manner she deserved with instrument panels, compasses, decals and a new cowl. Needless to say over the winter months all I managed to do was put some lithio plate trims on the cockpit!

She took to the skies like a dream which rapidly turned into a nightmare where observers reported an object falling from the model. A quick landing was initiated when again my observers noted that the right wheel had come adrift. This necessitated a wide circuit followed by a very careful approach.

Somehow I managed to land her without any apparent damage the only down side being we couldn't find the wheel!

So in future, the wheel collects will form part of the pre and post flights!

20130925_161829.jpg

Sounds like the wheel has done it's own impression of Barnes Wallis's most famous invention - the Bouncing Bomb. So my guess is it's going to be quite a distance from where it was seen falling off the plane.

Might be worth extending the search out a bit further......Or if you have any FPV guys at your site, maybe they could do a fly over to see if they can spot it from the air. I would think a large size wheel with a bright yellow hub shouldn't be too difficult to spot.

I agree with Jamie above though, Congrats on the safe landing and getting her down safely. At least it's only a missing wheel and not a complete rebuild.

Mark.