A place for Pushy Cat builders to hang out

GrahamC

Well, Graham may be finished, the race is not yet quite over. I may the first of the losers at present, there is yet time to push me further back, so sharpen those scalpel blades, get out your axes and get cracking.

I think I am now 1/3rd of the way through the wing, you can probably build over two plank wings in the time it will take me to finish the one built up.third.jpg

A lot to do yet!

Advert

I always wanted to be a tortoise, looks like I'm finally getting my wish. (My wife tells me that I've got a very thick shell, among other things)!

I have the same thought as Graham about a canopy rather than the original design approach and he's proved that it looks better, (well, to me anyway). This is a model where one or two cosmetic tweaks can make it look quite different, loads of scope there.

Mind you, by the time that I get started it looks as if Graham and Erfolg will have a squadron of Pushy Cats in the air (Pushy Tigers)? I'll get started eventually.

No Erfolg, I was hoping to see you but didn't realise you were there, unless we met unknowingly. The 190 you mention was an original Mick Reeves 190D9. I've got one the same though and flew it at the Fradley Scale Day in July.

The only plane I had at Greenacres on both days was my navalised (!) Tucano, which I plucked up courage to fly in a gale on the Sunday. Pictures of the Fw in my album, but I won't copy one on to here, it wouldn't look right in a Pushy Cat build blog!

I have retrieved the PC from its resting place and made a start on the restoration/completion.

I constructed the model with a removable wing, the wing locks fore and aft between the lower fuselage sections fore and aft, with a simple ply plate and captive nut, this was done less for removal for storage, but to give access to the esc in the section behind the rear bulkhead, I had mounted the servo on rail on the fuse so you have to disconnect them to remove the wing.

A useful ti is to make sure that servo adjustment for the aileron linkages is on the servo end not the torque rod end as you cannot reach it when assembled.

PC Removable Wing

I ran up the motor just to test it was still working, it pumped out a healthy 180 watts on a gws 7 x 3.5 prop, so all was well, but its a noisy beast as it resonates, I might ad a small ply plate to the underside of the fuse round the motor, as this is wafer thin and it might help reduce the resonance.

I also dug out the GYRO, its a Hobbyking 401B, and played around.

PC Gyro

This is the GYRO Test rig, I set up the gain lead to CH6 Flap switch and adjusted the EPA until I got the LED to light on the GYRO indicating on and then tweaked the EPA until I got the Flap switch to turn of, playing around seems to have got a reasonable start setting where I can switch the GYRO on and off and when on the gain to move the servos is stable without jitter

PC Gyro Setup

I will post up more pics in due course. The 401B Gyro is 12.5g and total of 21g when combined with the 6ch Orange RX i will use. I see the new combined V3 GYRO/RX from Orange is only 15g, I have one on order for another project,

I cannot see that if you used the HK V2 Orange 3 Axis GYRO at 14g it is going to be much of a weight penalty, the only reason for using the 401B was that I had one in the box of bits already and I could not see the point of stabilising the pitch as well as the roll.

Next step is to make up a suitable mount for the gyro (it needs to be in the vertical plane, near the CG)

I am waiting, not very patiently for others to start, Graham has, Tim is refurbishing yet another! the race for the 1st. of the losers is still open, wide open, I still have not finished my wing.

This is as far as I have got.

upper.jpg

under.jpg

I am getting there, painfully slow, I know. At present my wing is weighing in at 177 grams. it would be interesting to know how much a similar sheet wing weighs? I would bet, quite a bit less.

So there is the trailing edge to add and the wing tips.

Well the whole Wing, inc servo, and boom half covered is 186gm

pc ts.jpg

As you can see I have removed the lower 'gashup' of covering, a mix of mismatched Profilm and Solarfilm, guess which side was Solarfilm??, It will be replaced using the excellent ChinaCote

pc us.jpg

Edited By Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 30/10/2013 14:18:11

Hmmmmm. I am not sure if there is any significant difference in resistance to warping, or even dinge resistance from arranging the sheet, parallel to the LE or as opposed to the TE.

I think the reason that the TE has been chosen is that the sheet can be arranged to provide the max span, per std. sheet length.

Well I've decided to give building a go yes

Really enjoyed the 2 or 3 flights I had with ken andersons Mk2 that I bought off him before the canopy came off mid flight hitting the prop and destroying the model crying 2

Already have the plan and magazine so tonight I've traced around the tailboom with greaseproof paper and sorted out my shopping list for what wood I need.

Mod 1 - I'm going to us 2 servos on the ailerons but as I changed on my last PC I will glue the servos to the top of wing with a direct carbon fibre link to the aileron

Mod 2 - Leave off the finger grip on underside as it is fine to launch underarm holding the top, plus I've seen 2 people at our field receive very nasty cuts to the back of their hands launching PC's overhead, holding the fuz just behind the wing from underneath.

Mod 3 - (Possibly) I might also like GrahamC, shorten the fuz and leave the motor out to the elements.

baz

Edited By brfc7 on 30/10/2013 21:42:56

Edited By brfc7 on 30/10/2013 21:45:56

Hello Baz. I like the idea of 2 servos for the ailerons, but if you simply glue them to the top of the wings won't they interfere with the airflow or aerodynamics or something or other? Would it be better to mount them in a cut-out in the wing so that they are flush with the bottom of the wing? I know they won't disappear altogether because the wing is so thin but it would reduce the amount by which they stick out. Or doesn't it matter one way or t'other?

I'm asking because I shall do whatever you're going to do.

Thanks. Ian.

I was thinking should I just cut a hole right through the wing and glue the servo in solid but not sure if 1 - you would be compromising the wings overall strength and 2 - making sure you don't glue the servo mechanics up.

I didn't fly my last PC when it still had just the single servo inside the fuz but to be honest with the 2 servos stuck on the wings it flew great.

The wing isn't really much of an aerodynamic shape it's more down to plenty of power and owt will fly. I used to have a weston uk Tigershark that was a completely flat wing but it had a 53 engine so went like stink

baz

Posted by Depron Daz 393 on 30/10/2013 23:28:50:

Could someone tell me which edition of QEFI this plan is in please?

Thank you!

Copied from a few pages back, was easy to find - 

Some useful information for potential Pushy Cat builders

I have spoken to Q&EFI. They tell me that they have plenty of copies of the back issue in question, and they are available in the UK for £6.15 including P&P

So If you want to join in with the build. Q&EFI are on +44(0)1684 588599 and the issue you need is January 2005.

Edited By brfc7 on 30/10/2013 23:41:51