i know nothing please help

lee wood 1

im new to rc planes and ive just got a second hand ripmax trainer 30 it came with no engine, I then bought an enya ss40 from flebay as it was very cheap. apart from the carb being wrong way round which looks easy enough to sort is there any reason why this engine shouldn't go in this plane? it feels very nose heavy now, is that right? do I get a different engine? any help much appreciated as I know nothing about rc planes cheers

Advert

hello lee and welcome from me.......the engine you have is the super sport 40 and a fine engine it is--will run all day everyday...the ripmax trainer 30 should be ok with the engine-its at the top end of the models requirements.....you may be correct about the nose heavy C/G....I would have the model checked out by a seasoned flyer....before you attempt to do anything with it.......I take it you are a new flyer? ...

ken Anderson ne..1 ......enya dept.

hi, yes 1st rc plane so its all new to me, I think the engine is the older type enya ss40 I hope that will still be ok ? I also need to get a prop for it didn't realise they were all different sizes, what would the normal be for this plane/engine ? and also what fuel should I use? I believe an older enya runs on different fuel? any help really is much appreciated, any advice on anything would be great, many thanks

Something like a 10x6 or 11x5 prop should be fine on that engine Lee.....the first figure is the diameter of the prop...the second figure the pitch...which is the theoretical distance the prop wants to "screw" itself forward in 1 revolution....both in inches...

Pretty much any glow fuel will be fine in that engine.....look for 5 - 10% Nitro. You'll probably need to visit a model shop for the fuel so ask for advise there...it depends what they have in stock.

You'll also need a glow stick (for making the glow plug..er..glow)

Have you considered approaching your local flying club for help & advise? They will help you set up the model, check it over & teach you to fly.....what more could a poor boy want.....?

You can find details of local clubs just here...the BMFA are our national body & for a few quid will arrange third party insurance for you too...

Hi Lee and welcome onboard, before you do anything i'd register yourself with the BMFA so you have some kind of insurance , find you're local model shop and have a chat with them, they will be more than happy to forward you on to a club or to a suitable pilot to help you achieve you're ambition! Good luck whatever route you choose and keep us posted,

Happy and safe flying,

Scott

Join a club old chap and get some insurance!
A good club will be willing to take you under their wing and walk you through the first months. Try not to be disheartened when you have a crash or things aren't going right. A good club will always see you right.

Welcome to the hobby, Lee.

One thing that you haven't mentioned is radio. If you're considering joining a club it would be worth talking to them about their preferences as they will probably want to do initial training with a buddy lead - which will almost definitely be of advantage to you in terms of how quickly you will progress without too many repairs!

There are compatibility issues and opinions vary on this subject which is why I'd talk to your prospective club before making a radio purchase.

thanks for all your advice , im in Barnsley s. Yorkshire ,been trying to find clubs through the internet but not getting anywhere with that, so yea if anyone knows a club near Barnsley or Sheffield ill look into that , ive got pleanty to be getting onn with going to get me engine in and sort some bits and bobs out and hopefully will be ready to fly soon ,

ill get some flying lessons one way or another and insurance is a must but am not gonno fall in love with me plane as im not expecting it to last long hahaha, so going to put this one together spending as little as poss but still having something worth having

thanks for all the advice ill keep u posted cheers

get a sim, cheaper, warmer and if your young, less dangerous ..eerm ahem aye find out about flying dynamics and youll be sorted just dont go out and chuck.. be patient and read lots theres acctually alot to it.. think about it

no hurry im sure your not going anywhere

wee bio roy