LMA at Gaydon 2013

Advert

Not sure what I expected but came away feeling like I had spent £10 to visit half a dozen model shops that were crowded, hot and getting a bit smelly (with all of the 'men of a certain age' shuffling about), there seemed to be very few if any genuine show offers; the models whilst fascinating were irrelevant to my model making aspirations and held little interest as they were static and not in their true element. The museum itself harks back to a golden age of GB motoring excellence that truly never was and is actually best forgotten. The food and beverages were hugely overpriced and the entry pricing was confused and did not seem to be 'as advertised'. My opinion is that it is 'one to miss' and certainly not worth travelling any distance for, actually, the main event seemed to be the Indian F1 GP which was screened on large tv's in virtually every room. This is plainly the wrong sort of venue for large RC models (a series of inter connected small rooms); all in all very disappointing.

I know I will never build or fly a model heavier than 20kg - as is would need to get complicated and require LMA certification to fly. Still it's a sort-of-model and an interest to me. Although I prefer to fly models in the 40-120 size range and up to 50cc, as large models additionally require custom parts making for it.

I was confused on the pricing structure. Why have a "two for £10", when just charge single entry for £5 instead?

Last year I went on my own, and had to wait until another "loner" arrived,where we went in as one. Wierd,

Not a massive trade and lacking in private swopmeet, but bought loads of things, had a day out, as it was too windy to fly and will go next year...

I enjoyed myself, I know I will never own anything like the monsters on show but I do admire the engineering that goes into them. Buy about 2:00 the crowd had thinned out making it much easier to see what was there.

I ended up spending less than I expected but only because clubmate Ken dragged me away from the Seagull Twisters at £99 a throw. If the Nieuport in the main trade hall had been for sale and not just on display prior to imports starting it might have been a different matter.

The steak pies were fantastic but not exactly cheap.