Can-Doo - the new design from Nigel Hawes

The Fizza is so good that I'd love to do this one, but I MUST finish off the other projects, including getting the Pushy Cat ready for the mass build. Seeing the other guys getting on with it before I can even start is very frustrating.

I've been painting the Seafang today, that's the first priority to finish. It looks really good.

Advert

Thanks for sharing that piece of video Steven. First I've ever seen this Cucumber 2 model actually flying for real!!! Al's models at Wolverton actually had a built up model for free flight in his store window for several months at one time.

Tis indeed a very strange model.

John.

well ,

I have Started this one , the wings are cut out and glued together although i have not got two sheets of 1/4 so i am using 3/8 instead .

Also i will be making a few small changes as i go along . fist error in the plan is that the forplane is wider than 4" and the side top rear decking needs to be wider than shown although it does mention the in the write up .

I will keep you posted .

Hi John ,

That looks good , i seem to remember there was a canard called ( duck soup ) so i guess ducks are quite apt .

You don't seem to have sanded the wings or fins to an aero foil ?

I also am building one of these to use as a test bed for something i want to test out but as i suffer from a dust allergy my builds have come to a halt until the weekend when i can stand outside with a dust mask on and sand the models .

As it is too dark by the time i get home from work .

Keep us posted on how you get on with yours .

Cheers Steve .

Posted by Brian Hammond on 25/11/2013 15:02:57:

does anyone know which Vortex canopy to use?

Hi Guys,

In order to nip any potential misunderstandings in the bud, I would like to clarify that the tool used to produce the canopy for Nigel's 'Can-Doo' model is a dedicated plug, and so the canopy should be ordered as such. The part is not a modifed 'Fizza', and neither model's canopy is interchangeable.

Whilst aspects of Nigel's designs often share a similarity between one another (including the canopies), we have dedicated tools for every one of them and, as model parts are made to order, they should be ordered specifically for the intended model to prevent any disappointment.

In addition, I'd like to add a couple of things if I may;

1) Unfortunately, postage and material prices rose dramatically since we made the prototype canopy for the 'Can-Doo', consequently the price shown in the magazine was incorrect when the plan & feature was eventually publshed. Currently, the correct price for the canopy is £7.50 including shipping to most UK destinations.

2) Although not mentioned or offered as an option, we are happy to produce the 'Can-Doo' canopy in clear or white plastic if requested. Both of these alternatives are priced the same as the standard 'black' part.

Happy modeling,

Steve Davis - Vortex Vacforms

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 29/11/2013 15:21:14:

That's cleared that up then Steve, thank you. Everyone was guessing and because Nigel said that it was based on the Fizza and the canopy looks so much alike, I assumed that he'd used the same one.

No problem Colin, you're welcome.

For reference, the 'Can-Doo' canopy is an 'evolution' of the 'Whzzza' canopy, but as stated previously, all of the canopies for Nigel's designs are produced using differing/dedicated tools - honest.

Steve

Edited By Vortex Vacforms on 29/11/2013 17:46:29

Seems like a good time to butt in!

One of the reasons for the canopy price error is that ideally the CAN-DOO should have been published last summer, but I had an accident, breaking my thumb and back, so the plan didn't get drawn up although the model was fully developed - so apologies for any confusion!

I'll be following this thread, great to see models built already and do you have any finished model pics Bondi?

Nigel Hawes.