Can-Doo - the new design from Nigel Hawes

Canards have been one of my interests over the years.

My own efforts, also a thermal BARCS league hopeful. was less than impressive.

I am attracted to RH Uncanny also.

Although in the fullness of time I will probably build a Cando, which to me is similar to the Miles M35, not as attractive as the RH model.

Advert

The thought occurred to me that it would be fun as a subscriber to take an early start out of the blocks and get the first reader Can Doo flying. But the Gods were against me. The power train is available from a special page on the very enterprising 4-Max web site. The canopy is not listed on the recommended vacuum forming web site. Buying balsa from the Balsa Cabin involves identifying part numbers from one page on the web site, writing them down before transferring to an order page, adding the prices to make a total before sending an email to the company. The next day one must await a confirmation email with postage costs before making a telephone call with one's debit card details. I joked that the Balsa Cabin web site must e driven by a hamster in a wheel. Balsa Cabin joked straight back and replied that they had kicked the hamster up the butt.

i suppose I'll make a better job if I take my time.

Thanks Colin! I looked first at the Vortex Vac-Form web site as recommended by Nigel Hawes' feature. A canopy for the Can-Doo is not listed. Following your helpful message, I looked again this morning. A canopy for the Fizza is neither listed. I sent Vortex Vac-Form an enquiry by email on 12 November. I sent a repeat enquiry this morning.

On a more positive note, my power train arrived from 4 Max yesterday, within 36 hours. My Tower Pro 9g servos also arrived within 24 hours of order from Steve Webb's Servo Shop in Frodsham.

i hope my experience is of value to other aspiring Can-Doo builders.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/11/2013 18:36:41

Hi Kit. The best thing is to 'phone Steve at Vortex, he's always very helpful. He definitely did the Fizza canopy, because that's where I got mine. Probably because it's a few years ago now and enquiries have died off that he doesn't list it now. I can't believe that he doesn't still have the plug to run off some more.

As the word canard is French for duck, perhaps you should go the whole hog and call it "Canard Avant"! You'll have to wear a beret and a string of onions around your neck when you're flying it though!

Still thinking about the canard biplane, I'm sure the word "Banana" was in the name somewhere. I'll try and look for it later.

Good one Stephen! It's not the one I was thinking of though. I'm sure there was something a lot like this in the first APS plans service catalogue I had back in the sixties. Free flighter, but these days anything is convertible to r/c!

I've looked at all the old stuff in the current MHS plans list and the one I'm thinking of isn't there. Very frustrating. Yours looks as if it would fly really well, it's got all the ingredients.

No problem Colin - and yes it was funny! - but unfortunately we have found that when we give an inch and turn a blind eye to small breaches of the rules some folks "take a mile" sadly.

Anyway - no harm done - let's get back to Nigel's model which looks an interesting prospect! I could be tempted - but no,...must be sensible,....too many projects on already!

BEB