Kev`s Mini Jazz Build

Kevin Fairgrieve

So as promised I will make a start on my build thread, blog whatever you want to call it.

The first thing I like to do when starting a build is to get familiar with the plan and if appropriate the build article. Now I have previously built a Mini Jazz and an enlarged version I call the Maxi Jazz.

Having built the Jazz before I was already familiar with the build so it should be easier this time.

Started off by getting the plan photo copied. Cost me £2.00 as I wanted to get a few extra`s so that I could vandalise the plan. Local libraries are way underused, but they do have a lovely new photo copier. Could have had the plan in full colour for an extra 5p a sheet.

plan (1).jpg

Kev

Advert

Next decision was power train and other items.

That was an easy one for me as I mainly fly IC. So in my spares department there is an BNIB SC12. My previous Jazz has an SC15. I am a little concerned that the 12 will need all the help from me, so wherever I can I am going to see if I can loose a few Oz of weight.

An order was duly placed for the servo`s and such like.

dscf0080.jpg

RX. Orange Rx 620 Spektrum/JR DSM2 Compatible Full Range 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver. LINK £14.41

Servo`s. HobbyKing 929MG Metal Gear Servo. LINK £18.85

Battery. ZIPPY Flightmax 700mAh 6.6V 5C LiFePo4 Reciever Pack. LINK £2.10

Undercarriage. Carbon copy CCU00 Undercarriage legs. LINK £13.99

Wood. All from stock except the VERY SOFT 3/16 fuselage sides. LINK £3.04

Of course none of the above include postage. The wood in reality cost me the most as I chose to go to SLEC and choose my own. If you have never had the chance to go to the SLEC wood mill, you really should.

Covering material. Again from stock. A mixture of ProFilm, Solarfilm and anything else I have.

Canopy and cowl. Undecided at the moment although the cowl will probably be built up. Somewher I still have the original cowl, which never got fitted to my current Jazz. Canopy probably home made.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 04/11/2013 10:49:48

It is then on to the smaller easier to build bits, like the rudder.

All from strip, cut by myself using a SLEC balsa stripper. I find it more economical than buying it. One sheet of 3/16 costs £1.52 and a strip of 3/16 costs 28p.

The plan is vandalised onto its smaller components, rudder elevator, aileron`s etc.

empenage (1).jpg

empenage (3).jpg

Now in an attempt to save a few OZ I have made some built up ailerons.

aileron (5).jpg

Not sure if there is a weight saving. Only time will tell.

All parts completed and ready for sanding and fetling.

empenage (8).jpg

Kev

Nice start Kev.

I agree about the balsa stripper. If anyone is going to get into building then a balsa stripper is "must buy" item. It will lasy forever and pay for itself within a couple of models; as Kevin says, you can cut a lot of strip from one sheet and its much cheaper.

I use this one by Master Airscrew:

balsa stripper.jpg

The thumbscrew is on an 1/32 pitch thread so you can set the width of the cut very accurately (with due allowance made for the backlash in the thread). But there are 2 or 3 other good ones on the market including one from SLEC.

BEB

On to the wing next.

My least favourite part of the build.

I started by again vandalising the plans, and joined two halves together accurately. Note the continuation line for the sheeting on the right hand wing.

wing (4).jpg

Next lay on the 2" leading edge sheet, the spar, and the rear trailing edge sheet and spar. Use a straight edge to ensure that they are.

wing (2).jpg

Next fit the lower cap strips.

wing (13).jpg

And then the ribs.

wing (14).jpg

At this stage I also fashioned, but did not fit the centre bottom sheeting. I needed first to get the correct size cut out for the servo`s.

Next came the sheer webs. All tested for fit prior to glueing the ribs in situ.

wing (20).jpg

The servo`s then arrived so I could cut out the slots and fix some bearers.

wing (19).jpg

Top front sheeting added.

wing (23).jpg

Rear spar sanded to shape and the rear sheeting applied.

Then for the bit I do not like!

Attaching the front top and bottom sheeting. A big pile of magazines and some counter balance weight in the form of some old PB batteries. All left overnight to dry. I should say I use aliphatic. Not a drop of cyno here.

Flipped over and the reverse done.

wing (24).jpg

wing (25).jpg

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 04/11/2013 16:24:49

Once left to dry again overnight, it was the turn of the top centre sheeting and the cap strips.

centre section (1).jpg

The string!!! That is so I can pull the "Y" lead through for the ailerons. You did remember to do that didn`t you?

False leading edge and leading edge applied and left to dry. Then attacked with a trusty Perma-grit tool to shape the leading edge. Final sanding to take place just prior to covering. Saves a lot of heartache with hanger rash.

wing section (1).jpg

wing section (4).jpg

You can just see in the last picture the balsa blocks for the hinges. You did fit them didn`t you?

Just the wing tips and wing dowel to fit. I will fit the wing dowl in place once the fuselage is at a stage where I can offer up the wing, measure, double check and the mark the dead centre of the wing. This also allows me to check for wing incidence before committing. Oh and you did remember to put a balsa block in the centre trailing edge for the wing bolt to go through didn`t you?

Kev

Coming on nicely Kev - what sort of timescale are we looking at here? Looks like a very quick build. I like the magazine weighting trick - I've usually struggled with masking tape what didn't stick!

If the weather is as bad as predicted, I will start mine tomorrow - but today was a flying day!

Edited By Masher on 04/11/2013 17:22:39

Welcome aboard the build.

After glueing on the wing tips last night I also made a small start on the fuselage.

Made a minor modification to my ply doubler. Like Martin said on the other thread the ply former would impact on the top sheet curve.

Sides cut out from VERY SOFT sheet.

fuselage and doublers (1).jpg

As you can see I have left the last bit of the plan on the wood on one side. Yep, still not sure about which way to go with the tail incidence.

Added the doubler and the 3/8 X 3/16 doublers. All left to dry overnight.

fuselage and doublers (3).jpg

fuselage and doublers (8).jpg

F2 now added and glued in place.

fus sides and formers (2).jpg

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 05/11/2013 19:47:04

Glued F3 in place and left that to dry. Then I glued the two sides together ensuring all was square.

fus framed (1).jpg

Next for the bit that really requires that VERY SOFT sheet.

Gently bend the side until they meet F3 and glue in place. If your sheet is not VERY SOFT then there are a couple of options open for you. You can make some saw cuts to aid the bending or you can steam it. Whichever you choose do it slowly and in small steps.

Now I have a small confession to make. I used a couple of drops of cyno at the top of F3 to hold it all in place whilst the aliphatic cured. blush

fus framed (8).jpg

The fuselage seems to take on a bow in the middle at this stage.

fus framed (5).jpg

My chosen method to pull it in is to add a small cross member. This not only aids with the alignment but also gives the top sheet some extra glue surface area. It could I am sure be left and give some shape to the fuselage if so desired. It is just the way I do it.. The stern post is not fixed and is there just to ensure all is true and square.

fus join (2).jpg

Kev

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/11/2013 12:28:16:

I use this one by Master Airscrew:

balsa stripper.jpg

The thumbscrew is on an 1/32 pitch thread so you can set the width of the cut very accurately (with due allowance made for the backlash in the thread). But there are 2 or 3 other good ones on the market including one from SLEC.

BEB

Thanks BEB yes

I bought one, TBH, I struggled with my SLEC stripper as the blade seemed to wander a bit. This looks better for my needs

Martyn

Kev......I noticed the sides do not reach the top of F3...checked the plan and mine would do the same...how are you going to deal with that? simply sand F3 down?

Martyn....i have used both and neither were very good...bought a Proxxon table saw in the end...result, nice straight cuts.

Andrew

Very little to report.

Just hinged the tail end and finally decided on the horizontal incidence. As per the free pull out plan.laugh

tail end (1).jpg

tail end (2).jpg

Nothing more is likely to happen for the next week as me and the wife are off to the Jurasic Coast for a week, to prepare us for the silly season.

Never ever work in retail if you can help it.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 10/11/2013 20:18:56