Kev`s Mini Jazz Build

Kevin Fairgrieve

Advert

At this point in the build it was time to attach the top front sheet.

Even though my wood was fairly soft I decided to give it a hand.

My daughter today decided that it was time to colour her hair. As most of you will know hair dye contains ammonia!

I spread a little of the foaming solution onto the sheet and left it for 20 minutes.

bleaching (1).jpg

Then to give it a helping hand.

bleach deck (1).jpg

Left that for 20 minutes.

Trimmed and glued to the fuselage.

top deck (1).jpg

You can see in this last picture that the fuselage is taking a bit of a bashing being such soft wood. I can see the light filler coming out after a damp down and iron with my film iron.

Kev

So what have I been up to recently.

Well not a lot actually. I work in retail and we are rapidly approaching "silly season". Everything goes totally mental for the next 4 weeks and all for 2 days. Well 1 in my case as I am working Boxing Day and New Years day.

Anyway I digress.

Rudder and elevator snakes in situ, Glued and supported along the length of the fuselage.

tail exit (3).jpg

Bottom sheeting in place.

fus bottom sheet (2).jpg

Firewall drilled and engine test mounted. Now in the process of fuel proofing the forward fuselage with Poly-C.

firewall hole (1).jpg

I am going to try and do a little bit more when I can but progress will now slow down until after Christmas.

Kev

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the blog of your build which I am following with interest.

My own build will have to wait a couple of months due to a forthcoming house move.

I am particularly interested in your elevator snake arrangement and I was hoping that you might elaborate a little please? The MHS plan suggests that the two separate elevator halves should each have a wire pushrod. The two pushrods are then soldered together inside the fuselage and connected to the single elevator servo.

The more usual arrangement is for the elevator to be one single piece, or perhaps two pieces solidly connected with a wire or wooden joiner. Either way, the control surface only requires one pushrod or snake. The Mini Jazz eschews this conventional arrangement and has 2 unconnected elevator halves.

I am curious to know your plans in this respect because I don't really like the soldered pushrod set up as suggested in the plans.

Thanks,

John

Hi John and thanks for looking in.

My philosophy is KISS (Keep It Simple S&*£*d).

So for the Mini Jazz I use a single snake to the elevator and another to the rudder. I use a wire joiner on the elevator so that both are controlled from a single snake.

elevator joiner (6).jpg

As per my original Mini Jazz.

tail.jpg

Are you building from the free magazine plan or the MHS plan?The free plan shows no control runs of any sort so you pretty much have to do your own thing.

Kev

Hi Kev this is looking good and a single snake is the way I would go too though I don't fly anything like extreme 3D which is why I reckon the mhs shows the arrangement it does as it could arguably prevent the joiner flexing though it would have to be pretty lightweight to present a problem

Phil

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the clarification and photo. Your solution is definitely easier and more elegant than the one suggested on the MHS plan from which I will be building.

I am impatient to start mine but moving my existing fleet of aircraft will be enough of a challenge without adding the extra complication of a part built one! Perhaps naively I am hoping to be able to get cracking on it a few days after we move house......................somehow I have a feeling that I will be presented with some higher priority "issues" to resolve before I can start cutting balsa.

Cheers,

John