Mounting Bolts...

AWM

Hi ALL....

Maybe a daft question, but I am putting an Irvine 46 on to a Black Horse ARTF, but have lost the mounting bolts.  The engine is mounted inverted on some sort of plastic engine mount. I need to drill the holes for the engine on the mount. What sort of bolts should I use?   I was thinking about standard 3 mm bolts, secured with Nylocs and threadlock. Should that suffice? 

Cheers..

Alan

Thanks Ernie.. good info.  So I can just drill the mount out to accept a 3.5 mm self tapper, with a spring washer at the head as you say. That is fine for mounting the engine onto the mount?  Just clarifying that you don't mean the self tappers for the mount itself onto the firewall.  

Hi Alan, No No...... Not self tappers into the firewall..Most common are spiked nuts from behind the firewall, with bolts into them...But, much better look at the just engines website ( a wonderful place) they supply bolts with a rubber sleeve that you insert from the front of the firewall, and lock when you tighten them up..Also good for keeping the decibels down

ernie

3mm set screws although strong enough for the job are a loose fit in Irvine mount holes as the holes are 3.5 mm. Not a major problem, can muck up the engine offset a little. For self tappers mind not to drill the pilot holes in the GRP mount too large though, the self tapper screws need to "bite".

I do not like the poor bolts sold by many dealers as "engine mounting bolts" as the heads on them are often rather small.

I had to laugh when i read this article.....i've just spent days trying to find 3.5mm screws for my Irvine 53 and couldn't get any anywhwere. Then somebody suggested "4BA" screws and nuts....PERFECT...they are about 3.5mm and do just nicely thankyou. I'd rather not drill out an engine mount to 4mm unless really ness and like flytilbroke said 3mm could leave you with a strange engine offset.