New Zeta X-79 Buffalo 2 metre PNF wing for FPV/UAV

img_0489.jpgimg_0485.jpgimg_0481.jpg

The X-79 Buffalo is the latest FPV airframe to come out of China that is specifically designed for FPV purposes, not suprisingly each new model seems to be an improvement in terms of the genre over the last "In" model regardless of the manufacturer, the X-79 clearly has the popular but flawed X-8 from Skywalker in it's sights, it will be interesting to see how they compare.

I have just recieved today the X-79 from Zeta (www.newzeta.com) and it's really important I think to capture those initial impressions. My expectations were high as I have test flown Zeta models before and have always been impressed with their design and quality and the X-79 certainly does not disappoint in either respect, here is a summary of my initial impressions:

* EPO quality and mold is excellent, nice density which should be light yet strong and also aerodynamically clean.

* Huge bay area with supplied ply fittings not yet glued in to allow your own configuration.

* Nose camera hole seems to be higher than the X-8 making it less vulnerable, I also like the pre-molded doors for mounting video/ground-link TX, these flank the large top access hatch which is sensibly latched at the front and has large plastic clips that secure onto the CF spar at the rear....this won't be flying off mid-flight! I also like the simple but effective cable tie arrangement to help remove the door.

* The X-79 is light yet very stiff, it won't suffer the X-8's wing twisting in high speed flight, the wing securing system is excellent quality, the model is really easy to transport in 3 parts and will take a couple of minutes to assemble, everything fits perfectly and aligns like it should courtesy of good molds and plastic fittings that have been specifically designed for the model, good design means that field wing attachment is fast & simple yet does not affect the wings integrity and stiffness once assembled.

* Optional flaps is a great idea and I will be fitting them for sure, the servo holes are pre-molded as are the flaps themselves which simply need a couple of cuts with a sharp hobby knife to release. The flaps will not only be useful for landing in tighter spots, especially with heavier payloads, they will be invaluable in maximising flight times, I will set them up on a rotary switch on the TX for variable camber, particularly useful when flying in auto or stabilized mode for maximising efficiency.

* This is a PNF model and again, it's well thought out, the servo's are 9g type MG and don't look to be vulnerable as there are molded underside and wingtip skids, the 35mm outrunner motor is 850kv and the model comes with 12x3.8SF props, this is well thought out as it will allow you to use either 3s or 4s depending on payload although I think you will need to change the supplied 40A ESC on 4s, especially as I suspect that prop would not be first choice for many of us.....but in fairness to Zeta, the model is supplied for 3s use.

* Deep and well placed hand-launch holes, pre-molded reflex which follows the lines of the model without interruption and just the way the model as a whole has been thought out gives really good initial impressions, you usually know when you have a winner pretty well straight away and the X-79 is giving that impression for sure.

* Finally, build time......should be an hour tops!

I am going to fly the X-79 "clean" initially on 3s and then switch to 4s as I load up the airframe, it will be interesting to compare performance from one extreme to the other.

img_0479.jpg

Edited By scott cuppello on 21/11/2013 14:40:20

Edited By scott cuppello on 21/11/2013 14:47:29

Advert

As predicted, the build took no time at all, I have not written a build log as there is genuinely no point! The motor is pre-installed as are the metal Gear elevon servo's, the wing's are a slide on and clamp job and the vertical stabs glue onto the fus......that is basically it!

So, in terms of mod's, first thing was the power train, the stock 35-48 850kv motor should have potentially plenty of power, I ran up the stock set up as supplied with the kit (850kv motor, 40A ESC, 12x3.8SF prop) and was given a fairly predictable 300w on the reccomended 3s, in other words great if you are carrying a fairly basic set up......but I am not! I also suspect that the cruising speed would be pretty low so it's 4s for me given the payload I will be using, I didn't test the stock prop on 4s as I don't believe it would be up to the job and have therefore gone with a 11x7 APC type to begin with, I have also swapped out the ESC for a 60A unit with a 5A UBEC, the figures (using a 5000mAh 4s pack) were 48A/750W which this motor should handle no problem, airframe weight as is comes to 4lbs in old money with a Go Pro and case fitted to the nose and 4 x 12g Metal Gear Servo's fitted (more of which in a moment) so for the initial flight test and trimming.....I reckon we have more than enough power!

Coming back to the original servo's, as mentioned previously, the in-board control surfaces have are pre-installed but no servo's or hardware are supplied, so they are purely optional, I have set them up as flaps using one of the flap sliders for operation but have also set them up as back up elevons via mixes (which can be turned on and off via the mix switch), the aux ailerons I have set up on the rudder stick, the reason for this is because it feels natural to fly via rudder obviously and also because a little additional control input may be required at times once the model is fully loaded, these control surfaces will also be kept independant of the APM 2.6 UAS system which will be fitted after initial flight tests & trimming, same with the FPV gear. The Go Pro has been fitted simply to make the model easier to balance as more equipment is added, which will be mainly mounted on the C of G point, the predicted AUW with a 5000mAh 4s pack fitted and all camera's is 5lb, next job is maiden and trim!

photo.jpg

Maiden flight went well, hand launches really easily courtesy of the well thought out finger holes and climbed away with authority despite being a little nose heavy (this will be addressed by the fitting of the APM 2.6, etc).

Speed was spot on as far as I am concerned with 11x7 set up on 4s and the climb rate superb, despite only being a very chilly 5 degrees I was still able to eek out a decent 25 minute maiden flight from a 5000mAh 4s pack, not bad all things considered.

The main two things I was really happy with was how well the inboard control surfaces mixing worked and just how stable the XF-79 is as a camera platform (see sample shot from todays maiden).

When used as flaps you get a predictable nose-down attitude which when offset by up elevator to compensate, slows proceedings right down without any nasty suprises......useful occasionally but not that often I think.

The extra pair of ailerons were great when needed and it was surprising just how flat you could keep the turns by using the in-boards (which I have set up on the rudder stick), the outers are quite docile (I am using 100% aileron & elevator) and I can see that you would occasionally want to manually mix both (strong cross winds for instance) so it's a really nice feature that gives you flexibility.......and I must point out......efficiency, as you can also use the in-boards to trim pitch for any speed/conditions without having to touch the normal elevator trim.....I was really enjoying the extra dimension it gave (especially setting up off-power glides) with instant results......I can tell there is a lot more to come from this model as I get used to it.g0015079 (2).jpg

Next stage after testing has been the installation of the APM 2.6 is setting up, this is a new airframe so we are starting from scratch with regard roll and pitch tuning as no other data is available as yet. FPV equipment is also pretty well installed, airframe weight without a flight battery but all other hardware, camera's (1 x downward facing camera, 1 x OSD camera & 1 x Go Pro Black 3 in shock case), OSD, secondary RX, Data Transmitter for the APM 2.6 and 3s FPV battery installed is coming out at a very respectable 2kg or just over 4lbs!

Like just about everybody, weather is slowing everything down with high winds & rain being the order of the day, hopefully I will have some useful data soon!

photo(4).jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well had a succesfull day yesterday with the FX-79 which as you can see is now also fitted with FPV equipment (there is also a camera mounted on the under-side which you can not see) despite suffering one or two minor fail-safe issues with the APM 2.6 (now sorted out).

You may notice the prop has been changed once again, this is a 12x6 fitted to the standard motor and if you remember I am running 4s. With a 5000mAh 4s pack, the airframe now comes in at an impressive 2.5kg with all equipment fitted and including a seperate 3s Lipoly for the powering the TX & Camera's. At 2.5kg/5lbs, there was no way 3s (300w) was going to cut it and particularly with the current prop, I am really pleased with the performance......I basically don't use full throttle! I launch at maybe just over half and cruise at around 1/4 to 1/2 depending on wind conditions (it's also worth mentioning just how good this plane is off-power......I reckon in stabilized mode on a good day, an hour or so flight time should be easily achieved from the 5000mAh pack, even sticking to the UK legal 400ft Max Alt)

Once again, I must mention the in-board control surfaces, I am really pleased with the extra dimension they offer, they offer an additional failsafe control (mine are not controlled via the APM, just via the TX), are really handy for offering additional bank/aileron control when needed (high winds) and offer fast and responsive pitch trimming for all speeds/conditions.

Last thing I feel I must mention is just how good this plane is in the wind, I was flying in probably 10-12mph constant with perhaps up to 18mph gusts and even in manual mode, the X-79 was hardly phased, once in stabilized mode, it was genuinely like flying on a flat calm day, totally locked in and I never detected the slightest wing rock......I am really pleased with it, there is loads of potential in terms of configurations, especially when you bear in mind that 10,000 mAh (2 x 5000 packs) would only take this airframe to around 6lbs (just under 3kg).....impressive for what is a big and very tough airframe!

As I mentioned at the beginning, these guys are looking for a UK and/or European distributor, go to www.newzeta.com for trade & retail enquiries but I would ask traders have the courtesy to mention this review please!

photo(10).jpg

Edited By scott cuppello on 30/12/2013 16:49:59

Edited By scott cuppello on 30/12/2013 16:51:15

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Posted by scott cuppello on 30/12/2013 16:48:53:

.I reckon in stabilized mode on a good day, an hour or so flight time should be easily achieved from the 5000mAh pack, even sticking to the UK legal 400ft Max Alt)

Scott, where did you get the 400ft legal requirement from, the CAA guidelines on the BMFA says 1,000 ft for less than 3.5kg without a buddy lead.