Clean Sweep 36

Tim Hooper

Just taking a short break from the current Quad project to get this out of my system!

I've been overwhelmed by the response the 48 and 60 inch Sweeps have garnered, so it makes sense to cover another base by drawing up a smaller, 36" version.

In finest Hawesian tradition, we're plumping for a flat plate wing from 1/4" sheet, with a simple fuselage. No planking.......

img_4547.jpg

img_4550.jpg

Posted by Jon Laughton on 25/11/2013 13:20:48:

Daft question Tim - how about one larger than 60"? (For IC......perhaps 72"?)

Not daft at all Jon! wink 2 A bigger version isn't on my radar at the moment, but it wouldn't be a major task to enlarge the 60" plan by 20% at a repro printers, would it? I'd guess that an 8S electric set-up would do the trick, or maybe one of those little 15cc petrol engines that have come on the market recently.......

The news here is that the plans have been finalised, so the next stage is to start cutting balsa. Maybe tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've had a root around in the Gubbins Drawer and found all the pictured hardware.

img_4551.jpg

There's three potential cells packs - all 3S - 1300, 1800 and 2200. A little Turnigy 1400kv outrunner and 25A ESC. A Spekky 600 rx and four diddly servos, A 40mm spinner and 7x5 prop. What more could I need?

Just a quick check on the fit of the motor and largest cell pack looks promising too!

img_4554.jpg

So the scalpel came out this evening. First job was to assemble the main fuselage formers from 1/8 strip. Rather than mess about making tracings over the plan, it seemed simpler to transfer the measurements onto a piece of graph paper and then make both formers as one unit - to be seperated afterwards.

img_4556.jpg

After that it was a simple matter to cut out the main parts of the airframe from 1/4" and 1/8" sheet.

img_4559.jpg

Thanks Adrian - nice to see you back! smile d

I got the wing components glued together with aliphatic last night, so this evening I've been able to mark them up for planing and sanding. Enter David plane and Permagrit block.....

img_4560.jpg

20 minutes later, and we have a rough sanded aerofoil.

img_4565.jpg

Back to the fuselage, and the sides have been pinned to the board whilst the longerons are fitted. F2 and F3 followed suit.

(Incidentally, the drawing you see beneath the rear of the sides is the tracing for the rudder of the 1/4 scale Quadruplane, which gives an indication of the comparitive sizes of these two models).

img_4562.jpg

The final one for tonight shows the fin framework, flanked on either side by its 1/16 skins. Note the snake for the elevator which, hopefully, is going to live within.

img_4563.jpg

Right-oh, time for a beer!

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 27/11/2013 21:31:15

I'll do my best, Adrian!

I joined the fuselage sides together, inverted, over a drawn line. I left the front ends hanging over the edge so I could fit F1 - it stands proud of the top of the sides. This was followed by the 1/8 ply UC plate.

img_4566.jpg

Right-sides up again, and the tail ends of the fus were drawn together on either side of the fin. I've trial fitted the elevator snake.

img_4568.jpg

img_4569.jpg

HI Steve,

Depron sounds interesting. Will you use carbon spars?

I've spent some time this evening working out the radio installation. Starting with the exit guides for the rudder cables, then I added a tray for the receiver and tail servos.

The aileron servos will live in the fuselage sides. Simple, huh?

From above.

img_4589.jpg

From below. I'll fit a removable hatch later.

img_4591.jpg

Sounds good, Stephen. How will you reinforce the fin to take the flight loads of the tailplane?

More progress this evening,....

Levelling the top of the fin so it's parallel with the top of the fuselage keeps the tailplane at 0° incidence.

img_4626.jpg

The wing tips start out as a simple tip-plate, braced with a length of triangular strip below.

img_4628.jpg

Sanded down, and with the front corner radiussed.

img_4629.jpg

I then turned my attention to the fuselage, and fitted the upper sub-formers followed by the 1/2" top deckings.

img_4631.jpg

img_4632.jpg

Hi Tim, just taking the day of for my birthday - life's hard some times...

I just found this build - looking good, at the moment I have to much to do and no time to build, but this would be a nice little project when I finish the back fence/the deck/the laundry/the wife's car/my car/my son's car/the other son's car, oh yes and the full time job at work LOL... keep up the good photo's

Marty down under

Thanks Martin - let's just hope the Sweep is worth waiting for, eh? wink 2

Back to it........

Even though the upper fuselage sides can't be fitted until the wing is installed, it struck me as sensible to at least get them to a rough sort of shape before hand.

They're cut from soft-ish 3/16 sheet as they need to twist slightly as they're installed. I've chamferred to bottom edges to match the top of the existing structure.

img_4633.jpg

img_4634.jpg

Once removed I was able to thread the wing into place below the top.front block......

img_4635.jpg

......and then glue permanently in place. I used aliphatic glue, and lots of weights to hold it all firm overnight.

img_4636.jpg

Posted by Tim Hooper on 02/12/2013 21:28:10:

Sounds good, Stephen. How will you reinforce the fin to take the flight loads of the tail plane ?

Hi Tim ,

I haven't got time at the moment to start on this as i said earlier .

This is one i was going to do at this size but only in Depron.

But that Fin is not that big to cause a problem , but i would sandwich Depron over carbon or dowel and form a symmetrical airfoil shape but i would not be using a rudder .

If you place a flat sheet 1/16 balsa over the edge of the table you will find it easy to bend and twist but if you induce a curve to it you will find it becomes a lot stiffer . The same applies to Depron .

The same as a tube is stronger than a box section .

I must say , i do admire your builds , you're attention to detail and construction are impeccable .

Keep up the good work , and i will keep my eye on this , i am sure it will be a nice rocket ship .thumbs up

Good Luck Steve,

Edited By Stephen Jones on 04/12/2013 00:42:07

Thanks for the info Steve. I'm not very familiar with depron, so I'm not aware of all the tricks of the trade!

Meanwhile, back at the balsa quarry.....

With the wing glued to the fuselage sides, I was able to make cutouts for the aerofoil in the upper sides before gluing them permanently in place

img_4637.jpg

Meet Flossie.......

img_4638.jpg

The following evening I set about rounding off all the sharp corners, and then added the lower nose blocking, followed by the frames for the side cheeks.

img_4641.jpg

The cheeks are clad above and below with 1/16 sheet.

img_4642.jpg

With the motor temporarily attached with (undersized) screws to F1, and with the left side packed with 1/16 plywood to give the required sidethrust.....img_4879.jpg

....I made a 1/32 ply backing for the cowl, and tack glued it to the front of the fuselage.

img_4878.jpg

img_4880.jpg

I then made a a nose ring from 2mm Liteply and, using spacers, tack glued tihs to the rear of the spinner.

Now all I have to do is to fill the void in the middle with bits of balsa!

img_4881.jpg

Edited By Tim Hooper on 07/12/2013 21:31:01