Slope Soaring

LYKA

Fancy having a go at slope soaring off the South Downs .I have been flying fix wing for a long time now so I can fly fix wing aircraft but have no idea what it is like to slope soar and because I live near the South Downs thought I will give it a go .My questions are ,first I need to know what glider would be best to get started with ( I hate building so sorry to all you who love to build ) it will have to be an ARTF Second question is how much different is it to flying I C models from our club strip

Edited By LYKA on 02/12/2013 09:53:13

Advert

Hi Lyka, You shouldn't have any problems flying slope soarers. The big difference is if you're just scratching around and decide you need more height you just can't pull the stick back. You have to go looking for some lift. In a reasonable blow thats no problem and all part of the fun. Just make sure the wind is fairly square on the the slope. You could of course get a powered glider for your first sloper, just for a bit of added security.

As for model, there are loads. I fly a Zagi and a SAS Wildthing (amongst other types). Both are great fun, relatively easy to fly and practically indestructable.

Have fun.

Ian

Hi Lyca! I was in your position 12 months ago so got myself a Wildthing and went and gave it a go! With 5 minutes help on the local slope from someone who knew what they were doing I was flying quite happily, landing is the hardest part (IMHO) you can't go too far down wind if you want to remain in the same county!
Also as a power flier it a bit disconcerting lookin down at the top of your plane.

I can Highly recommend the Wildthing as being Very bouncable & damage resistant and I'm now looking forward to Santa bringing me my first "Crunchy" balsa model! )

CB

The Wildthing is great but does need a bit of a blow and you have to build it, if you need something for a lighter wind then the Multiplex Easy Glider is another option. But a 3rd option if you don't like building is to go down the 2nd hand route, I got my Mini Blade mouldie and Salto that way, have a look on the BMFA classified and even Ebay to see what comes up.

The problem with gliders is that one is never enough.............................

Flying wise if you can fly powered fixed wing you'll have no problems, just remember that elevator controls airspeed and if you are flying along the slope it's best to turn out into lift.

Just have a go, you'll love it!

One point to bear in mind is that some slopes have strict 'no motor' conditions, Callow bank is one, if the farmer finds a model with a motor, even if the prop has been removed, we could lose the use of the slope. So unless you are absolutely certain its ok, please dont even consider a powered glider.

As others have suggested I would also recommend a SAS Wildthing but I wouldnt agree that it needs a strong wind - I find its an excellent scratcher and frequently holds its own amongst purpose built lightweights. Conversely it will handle winds you cant stand up in!

Landing depends on the nature of the site, some have a flat area behind the slope where the air descends after rounding the slope, and you have to do is hang into wind as the model gently lowers itself down, correcting all the while to keep it into wind or tacking to & fro if the wind is below flying speed.

On some slopes where theres nothing behind, or no access, you need to land on the slope, in lift. One way is to lose height, below the eye line, do a wide downwind turn back to yourself, then dump all the speed in a low, tight turn at head height. All being well you'll find the glider is again stationary into wind with only a few feet of height and you can gently lower it in with down elevator. The trick is to lose all the speed and height, then lower it in, all in one action, without letting the speed build up again.

One of the benefits of sloping is that if you get it wrong, you can go around as many times as you like, there're no fuel to run out!

Have a great time!

Phil

Edited By Phil_G on 02/12/2013 12:32:52