Need a good glider for slope soaring

Just tried slope soaring after years of power flying .Love it no engines or fuel to worry about !.Now I need a good slope soarer ,anyone recommend one preferable ARTF and without a motor .Just a pure slope soarer I hate building.Looking at the ST Blaze not sure what it is like on the slopes.Look at the E-Flite Mystique but once you brought the kit and the servos and receiver I think the wife might not be to happy ( come out at about £450 )It seems there are a lot of cheap kits and a lot of expensive one and not a lot in between.I can not seem to find something that will fit the bill.Everyone at the slope all had good models but they had had them for a long time and where no longer able to buy them anymore.I am at a loss what to buy

Advert

A lot depends on your preferred the style of flying... steady, relaxing and stable, fast & manouvreable, or full on aerobatics, plus there are all the specialized niches like combat, pylon racing, VTPR, etc...

It all depends on your specific needs! (although ultimately, you will end up with at least one of each!)

Cheers

Phil

a good solid phase 6 ,, cheap as chips and good allrounder , you hate building , but if you have a go and do build one , atleast you have a better time fixing it when you ding it ,,,, i would stay away from crunchies till your fully converted as flying is the same but its getting the things down in a good blow where you get the bother.

Keep you eye out for 2nd hand mouldies, they frequently come up, I paid £200 for a Mini Blade mouldie a couple of years ago complete with 6 servos, or even better still you sometimes see one of the older Pat Teakle fibreglass scale jobbies and they are as tough as old boots and fly really well, thats my 25 year old PT HP18 in my avatar.

Lyka, not exactly ARTF but Alan Head's Wild Thing and Fusion are hard to beat in terms of great slope fun. They are pretty much ready built in EPP but require you to cover them in cross-weave glass tape before covering in a coloured tape of your choice. Very good value and will last for years. Just google Soar Ahead Sailplanes.

E-flights Mystique looks nice but read the reviews on this Forum and you may not be so keen.

As Phil says, a lot depends on what sort of slope flying takes your fancy. I had a lot of fun with a Kyosho Stratus, a simple 1.7m rudder/elevator e-glider - sadly no longer available. Bigger and more complicated does not necessarily mean better.

I have just bought a Multiplex Solius e-glider and am really looking forward to flying it from my local slope. It has some very good reviews.

You wont regret it, the Phase 6 is a lovely model. I'd suggest the flat-bottom wing rather than the symetrical as its a good all-rounder with that wing. Also I'd beef up the fus around the trailing edge just a bit, the fus is very slim there and prone to breakages.

Build thread?

Cheers

Phil

I'm just completing a P6. And its a relatively straightforward build. I've glassed the wing and fus and am now in the process of painting (pix when done). I went for a 4 servo wing. And amazingly, its coming out less weight that CF suggests. Most peeps I know who've built one have struggled to keep the weight down. Should be ready to maiden by the weekend. Wish me luck.

Ian

All the above are great but if you want a cheap ARTF that flys well in light wind or a howling gale you can't go far wrong with a Speedo. Nice size, won't break the bank and there is a cult following for these little models that have absolutely no right to fly as well as they do. There is a Mk2 that has flaps and a choice of weights but to be honest the original is all you'll ever need, especially if you do a rudder modification for it.

Chris