Where are the electronics?

Boots

re magazine content

there is plenty of RCM but where has the E gone?  I assume nobody is interested how there radio gear works ,speed controls...........

how about a nice project detailing converting cd player brushless outrunner motors and a cheap homemade speed control to go with it ?

about 15yrs ago i built your 35mhz fm radio,,,it was great

Also there must be hundreds of excelent articles and projects in your archives but they seem to be unavailable on the web site

I guess one of the reasons for the lack of electronic projects is the ready availability of cheap commercial complete items these days. I seriously doubt that anyone could build a speed controller, or brushless motor cheaper than one could buy it these days! I well remember in my youth building many wonderful things from "heathkit" projects and the like ( remember those ?) but one of the reasons for doing so was the sense of satisfaction obtained from doing so, AND knowing that you had created something that was probably difficult to obtain complete, and saved money into the bargain...neither of the latter two items applies these days. Crikey, its even getting difficult to buy a simple silicon transistor, and as for SMT...well dont get me started on those little blighters!!

I have a couple of home wound outrunners which I did from one of Chris Kemps kits ( CK motors ) which were / are excellent...however even Chris has given up that particular venture due to the silly prices available these days on ready built stuff.

A sign of the times I guess Louis as Timbo says the electric flight gear is so darn cheap these days.

I do try and pop articles on but you're right there are many hundreds in the archives. Older articles are kept in paper form so they're far more time consuming to put on (they have to be literally typed) than the newer material that's stored here on disk. I'm also a little wary that the older articles may be simply out of date and less relevant but one thing I do want to find is some good articles about simple tasks like workshop skills, solarfilming etc..  

If anyone can direct me to the relevant issues/articles they would like to see, then it'll save me trawling through 45 years worth of mags 

Louis

Micron Radio Control are still out  there producing receiver kits, and many people (myself included) are still bulding 'em. A while back (July 1994, Edition 451) RCM&E did a review of the Micron mini receiver.

Sheesh! That's nearly 14 years ago.....I was still drinking subsidised beer at university and railing against the conservative government (conservative government...there's a phrase that's not been heard in a while).

Well, there you go - the last review of a self-assembled receiver was 14 years ago.....

There was a revew of Micron Radios in the October 1984 edition of RCM&E as well.... if your back collection goes that far back.

Time for another one?

AlistairT

I've got a couple of slide rules - just to make my father feel at home in the shed.....

Do I use them? Heck no - pass the pocket calculator eugene...

Although I do know (in theory) how to use them - which in the eyes of my contempories places me firmly among the eccentrics

So RCM&E is a child of the 60s.... What are you planning for the May 2010 50th Anniversary issue? Vietnam war dogfight double? Mig 17 and F86 Sabre? Mig 21 and Skyraider? Gary Powers wa shot down on May 1st 1960 - electric U2 anyone?

It would interesting to see how many of the shops/distributors/kit manufacturers that advertised in that first issue that are still extant.

aah - Nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

AlistairT

Hmmm 50 years from now.....

The last lipo battery will have been consigned to the rubbish bin of history as an inefficient, dangerous, toxic energy storage device, and Jordan Asby Junior will be casting her eyes over the latest in nuclear-fusion powered ARTFs.

Alexei Whittaker will be reminiscing about 2.4GhZ, "building" classic artfs, and complaining that the latest developments in thought-controlled virtual planes will result in the demise of manual dexterity as we know it....

Tony Nijhuis will have been cloned, and the latest issue will feature six plans from three different Tonys for Eurasian and Sino-American planes of the great petrol war (2020 - 2035), including the EuroUAVFighter, Lockheed SR72 Hypersonic reconnaisance vehicle, Suzuki Sayonara bomber, and English Electric Canberra - re-commissioned by the new nostalgic head of the European Air Force, wing commander Nigel Hawes....

welllll, it could 'appen?

AlistairT

Is that Graham from the SCRCAC?  Remember me? My first Tx was also in a biscuit tin with the heavy 120V+1.5V batteries slung over my shoulder in a gas mask bag, GPO levers as well. 1st successful Rx was the UK, then the Tinytone which I further miniaturised, both from RCME. Got much more pleasure from the hobby in those days knowing that everything down to the finest detail was home constructed.

Back to the question, how about servo slow modules which I use to great effect on my Spit. The details are available on the internet but cannot be reproduced here due to patents. These are very simple to make if you have the programmed chip. Anyone care to design  one because it would make a very simple to assemble and useful device for retracts, flaps, etc., using a normal, metal geared servo (a retract servo will not work). These can be bought for about £20  but made for pennies. Come on you designers.

Excellent idea Martin - I second that motion for a home-built servo-slow design! I've found a design on the web but the components used are not available any more.

This design oddly enough (David, correct me if I'm wrong) was apparently published in the March 1996 issue of RCM&E and written by Ken Hewitt.

I'm currently building Tony Nijhuis' 63" Spitfire and I would love a servo slow for the U/C but seriously balk at the price charged for a few components. I know, I'm cheap...

Shaun K.

Here's Kens deign. Although the PCB is no longer available commercially, it is a relatively simple task to make your own ( I do them for my onboard Glow driver units ) and the components are minimal, remeber that many of the later Trs have inbuilt servo speed adjustment within their software.

servo slow

and a picture of the required small PCB

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/pcb_ss.JPG

The Micron design was used in the RM system published in the '90s.  I built two mini rx from those articles, and recently upgraded  the decoder boards with the new Micron IPD unit.

Come to that, I'm still using a nicad cycler and various chargers built from circuits published in RCM&E or RM many years ago.  Then  there's the Orange Box (RCM&E free plan once?), using a 540 leccy for power controlled by an electronic switch also from a magazine circuit. 

Perhaps RCM&E will give a free gift of a simple electronics kit as a freebie, something like a servo slow or an on-board ni-cad checker?

Just a thought, it might even get people who are starting to build kits again in to making a part of the electronics side?

While i am here ! i like the video on the modelflying web site, it is nice to see who actually is behind RCM&E, more would be good !

Take care and have fun

Chris.C.