86" W/S Depron MkIX Spitfire

Posted by IanH on 27/04/2014 06:37:26:

I got up (very) early this morning with the intention of getting some odd jobs done before the family got up, but sat down at the computer with my fresh cup of coffee, started reading your build blog and couldn't stop until I'd reached the end! It's a truly inspiring build and fantastic example of what can be done with depron. I've bookmarked this blog for reference for when I make my first forays with this material.

Thanks again for the enjoyable read your build blog has made (albeit at the expense of my intended early morning house jobs!).

I agree, great build blog. I wonder how the costs compared with building in conventional materials?

Advert

Good Morning.......
Firstly, I often feel bad about not replying to each individual comment but it would look like I was 'bumping' my thread if I did. I do receive notification whenever any of you post a reply and I more than not, read them on my phone. Each comment, good or bad is appreciated. If anyone takes the time to write, it's appreciated - thank you.
I read the word 'inspire' quite often on here. I know exactly what you mean because I too am inspired by articles that I read on this forum. That's what drives us all forward, trying to achieve something new.
So, for those of you who are trying Depron for the first time, persevere, read through some of the other build logs on here for inspiration and remember, 'if you can build it in wood - you can build it twice as light in Depron'
Also, and not to pick out any one question, costs of Depron models are much less than their balsa counterparts. So, Rob, to answer your particular question, forgetting the small amount of plywood and not counting hinges, control horns etc. The depron used to build the Spitfire equated to, as near as makes no difference, approx £37.50 (5 sheets of 6mm x 700mm x 1000mm and 6 sheets of 3mm x 700 x 1000 (skinning)). Adhesives, which I admit, I do get through lots of UHU Por around £30, although you would require adhesives if working in balsa. Any other materials such as paint, spinners, cockpit, retracts, wiring etc would be required irrespective of whichever materials you were using.
And finally, if I personally am inspiring ANYONE, I'm a happy chappie...........
Thank you guys!
Regards

Roy

Brief update.
Spit' flew again today. Good day out at the field.
Since the last flight I have added additional down-thrust and today, apart from the grey skies and a bit of a breeze, seemed like a good day for another flight. Out too came the Sea Vixen.spitandseavixen.jpg spitandseavixen2.jpgThe dust needed blowing from this model and now that the CG issues have been resolved with this model (initially nose-heavy), flew faultlessly. For a change, I took the pictures whilst Charles flew the Sea Vixen.

seavixenlaunch.jpgseavixenlaunch1.jpgseavixenoverclub1.jpg

seavixenoverclub.jpg

The Spitfire does still require additional down-thrust which, once done will amount to a total of around 3 degrees. I'll sort that this week. Something else exciting being done to the Spitfire this week which I hope to update you on before the end of the week

Regards

Roy

Edited By Electriflier on 04/05/2014 19:39:08

Edited By Electriflier on 04/05/2014 19:44:16

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while......and thanks for the comments and really nice emails.
I have made further modifications to the thrust angle of the motor and last night's flight seemed to prove that at last, I have sorted out the tendency for the model to climb on throttle. Now, flies like on rails I'm pleased to say.

Firstly, 10 out of 10 to woman's intuition - Monz, Spot on young lady.
Yup, I decided to try out a sound unit in the model as I've been interested in one since I heard a friend's electric Texan at our field. I've spent quite a lot of time looking round and reading about the various, albeit few quality sound units on the market and after much research (and justifying), decided to plumb for the MrRCSound Ver 4.1 Sound system.
Based in the States, Andrew, MrRCSound himself, has been very helpful in the incessant questions I have been emailing him and recommended the basic system for the Spitfire.
Basic system is 1 x sound card and 2 x TT-25 Transponders (speakers if you like but MUCH louder!)
Once ordered, arrived within the week - well pleased!
Easy to fit and the heaviest part of the unit, the two transponders, were mounted inside the fuselage on CG. No holes to cut as the transponders turn the whole airframe into a giant speaker.
Anyhow, I'm not going to turn this posting into an ad' for a product but will say I'm delighted with the unit.
The video gives you some idea but I must say that it doesn't really do the sound unit justice. It was one of those moments when you just had to be there if you know what I mean.........
I know there are many of you who don't like sound units in electric models but for those of you who do, here's the video of last night's flight with the unit installed.
Hoping for blue skies this weekend.
Regards
Roy

Very nice Roy! Great scale looking flying. There's one or two moments where the sound system and doppler come together and it sounds very realistic. My only thing (and I will use a system like this in my Spit) is that I feel the engine note should be higher, ie higher RPM for a bit more realism, it sounds like it's ticking over on coarse pitch, so it sounds too slow if you know what I mean?

I find with my models the throttle is at half most of the time and therefore so is the sound system setting. I have toyed with putting the sound throttle on a slider so the motor appears to be at full throttle when the actual throttle is much lower, not tried it out yet. Worth trying Roy?
Cheers
Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 16/05/2014 22:15:41:
I find with my models the throttle is at half most of the time and therefore so is the sound system setting. I have toyed with putting the sound throttle on a slider so the motor appears to be at full throttle when the actual throttle is much lower, not tried it out yet. Worth trying Roy?
Cheers
Danny

Even better would be to put the sound on a separate channel as you suggest, but give it a custom curve and mix it in from the throttle. This means you can have any sound setting for any throttle setting you like without any need for manual adjustment. Using timer delays on a TX like the Taranis you can even have an idle setting that puts the sound on for it's startup sequence, but only starts the prop turning once the engine "fires". Works great!

Hi chaps,

your comments about proportionate engine to throttle settings are valid and I do agree, they can be made better. Danny, Matty, this is the route I intend to take to resolve the issue. Separate channel mixed is definately the way to go. When I get a little more time, I will set it up and report back with the results. So, Monz, again, your observations were indeed bang-on. Colin and Ian, thanks again for your kind words.

You're probably aware that I'm helping Charles out with the 1:5 scale Hurricane. Not that he needs my help but it helps keep my hand in. Very interesting project that could quite easily outshine the Spitfire when finished. Although of a different scale, should look great next to the Spit' both static or in the air.

I will let you know how the sound system/radio setup goes.

regards Roy

Jeffrey, Nice to hear from you again - thank you.
Terry, I too like the way the model presents itself from a scale speed point of view. As for blaming me wink,

I'd be happy to take that one but many other people have been there long before me and so cannot take the credit for large (ish) scale depron builds.
John, the landing? - one of my better ones and thankfully, a video camera was rolling. As for the sound module, I understand peoples' reservations but I'm not trying to make a 'silk purse out of pig's ear' as they say. I'm fully aware that the evocative sound of the Merlin cannot be reproduced faithfully by a small electronic device. It's in there purely for the fun of it. If the young lad in me fancies strafing the field with cannons firing and want just a huge smile stretched across my face then I can turn it on. Otherwise,......well there isn't an otherwise......winkI Like it!!
Spent quite a long time over the past couple of days attempting to sync' the engine rev's with the throttle settings. Not as straightforward as one might think. A simple mix does not work. Possibly have it suss'ed and am planning to fly again on Bank Holiday Monday. Hopefully, there will be a video camera or two rolling and so will post the results as soon as I can. For now...Just going to watch F1 qualifying as I missed it due to being at work....regards
Roy

The engine sound is fine but when in the air there is airframe and prop noise added which from head on accounts for most of what you hear.

So different sounds (and speakers) forwards and backwards? wink 2

It has been on before but this Galloping Ghost P51 with a 4 cyl Kolm is pretty spectacular and demostrates the different types of sound..

But I expect way over normal club limits!